--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
GB4

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kamo gari;
Good evening once more my friend, thanks for the chuckle with, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story".

I want to say it was the late John Wooters who long ago opined that "if someone tells you everything they shoot drops dead, they've either not shot very many things or it didn't happen that way".

That said then, added to the fact that I've royally buggered a few shots on game in the past half century myself, sometimes turning out much worse than your bison, you shall not be receiving flames from my section of this side of the medicine line tonight.

It was a grand hunting tale, well told sir.

Best to you both Leighton.

Dwayne

Leighton, allow me to echo the good Mr. BC30cal's sentiments. It was a grand hunting tale, and well told. (It was even better reading, having heard the oral version from you over the phone last week!) The photos you've posted are excellent, as usual. Thanks for that. It makes the tale all the more sweet. Having lived and hunted in the snowy northern Alberta areas of Swan Hills and Peace River country, I expected the landscapes and vegetation in the Delta region to look as it did. But it sure makes it more immediate to see it in actual pixels.

I had the privilege of collecting a WY bison heifer about 10 years ago, in the company of Jorge and EvilTwin... until that particular adventure, I had no inkling of the amount of work involved in skinning and cutting up a bison. Big respect to your comrades for all the work they put in to get that critter cut up and packaged! BTW, enjoy that liver! Bison liver is amazingly good eating, so good that I would happily help somebody collect a Big Shaggy if they would let me have the liver...

As for the errant bullet, dinna fash. Given the fact that it was dead on minute-of-coffee-cup 2 days before, you have to wonder if some evil kami possessed the thing... maybe the scope buggered up for no good reason, maybe your bullet struck an unseen twig between you and the bison, or maybe you just twitched wrong. Doesn't matter. The beast died clean, that's all that signifies.Like Dwayne, I've been in on the end of a goodly number of critters in my nearly 70 years, and I will confirm that the only hunters who will condemn another hunter for an errant bullet are 1) azzholes and 2) inexperienced in the vagaries of hunting and killing, and 3) azzholes.

Thanks for sharing the good story and great pics. Enjoy that delicious meat.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
This was Camp Self Esteem! If anyone, myself included, returned with any we had not done our jobs! We laughed, poked fun, insulted, hated on, laughed more and generally had a great time from airport to airport and the intervening 800+ miles we drove.

We started and ended friends.

And that's as it should be. I am tickled to hear of and read about y'all's adventure. Well done, lads.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DocRocket
This was Camp Self Esteem! If anyone, myself included, returned with any we had not done our jobs! We laughed, poked fun, insulted, hated on, laughed more and generally had a great time from airport to airport and the intervening 800+ miles we drove.

We started and ended friends.

And that's as it should be. I am tickled to hear of and read about y'all's adventure. Well done, lads.

Hey the Shot Nazi back.

LOL

This thread is greater than I thought.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Be sure you brown that first.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JOG
Congratulations, KG - great story.

My own worst/best shot was at a pheasant. My brother and I had a string of consecutive hits that ran over a couple years. That says more for his shooting than mine, as I was behind a good pointer and he set himself up for the more difficult swing shots. With the dog on point and subsequent flush, I stepped forward for an easy shot right into a knee-deep hole. As the shot rang out I was off the bird by at least a couple feet. The bird veered almost straight up as I'm now on my elbows watching helplessly. After rising about 100 feet, the pheasant was apparently touched by God and fell dead. I couldn't find the hint of a pellet strike anywhere on that bird. Chalk him up, and the string continued.
I have seen that same response on several species of upland birds where they suddenly fly straight up until they die and fall straight down. All had at least one pellet in the heart.

Yes, indeed. I recall my father telling me about the towering flight of dead-on-its-wings-heartshot-pheasant when I was a lad, but for some odd reason never actually witnessed it myself til I was near 40 years old, with hundreds of dead waterfowl and upland birds in the bag.

As it happened, I was hunting with my fine old Springer, Brit, near Brooks, AB. The cock pheasant flushed right in front of Brit's nose, a scant 10 yards out, and gave he an easy rising straightaway shot. I hit the bird with a single pellet (I'm not a great wingshot, I must admit) and he towered in an upward spiral to perhaps 50 yards, but carried away from us by a typical howling southern Alberta 40-mph breeze. Brit never lost sight of the rooster, and danced out into the stubble like a center-fielder, positioned perfectly to make the catch when the pheasant inevitably fell straight down. I'd swear my dog nearly caught the pheasant in mid-air, but nobody would believe me and I'm not sure I believe myself 30 years later.

I didn't gut the bird until I had him home later that day, and carefully dissected him... I had hit his heart with a single pellet, and his pericardium was full of blood. Classic cardiac tamponade. Physiologically fascinating, I must say.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great read, humbling to walk up on a dead buffalo isn't it. And for what its worth I severed the spine in front of the shoulder on mine. Not where I was aiming. Anyway congratulations on a great trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Be sure you brown that first.
You clearly revel in your idiocy. Most try to forget the real moron moments in their pathetic existence. Not you.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by JOG
Congratulations, KG - great story.

My own worst/best shot was at a pheasant. My brother and I had a string of consecutive hits that ran over a couple years. That says more for his shooting than mine, as I was behind a good pointer and he set himself up for the more difficult swing shots. With the dog on point and subsequent flush, I stepped forward for an easy shot right into a knee-deep hole. As the shot rang out I was off the bird by at least a couple feet. The bird veered almost straight up as I'm now on my elbows watching helplessly. After rising about 100 feet, the pheasant was apparently touched by God and fell dead. I couldn't find the hint of a pellet strike anywhere on that bird. Chalk him up, and the string continued.
I have seen that same response on several species of upland birds where they suddenly fly straight up until they die and fall straight down. All had at least one pellet in the heart.

Yes, indeed. I recall my father telling me about the towering flight of dead-on-its-wings-heartshot-pheasant when I was a lad, but for some odd reason never actually witnessed it myself til I was near 40 years old, with hundreds of dead waterfowl and upland birds in the bag.

As it happened, I was hunting with my fine old Springer, Brit, near Brooks, AB. The cock pheasant flushed right in front of Brit's nose, a scant 10 yards out, and gave he an easy rising straightaway shot. I hit the bird with a single pellet (I'm not a great wingshot, I must admit) and he towered in an upward spiral to perhaps 50 yards, but carried away from us by a typical howling southern Alberta 40-mph breeze. Brit never lost sight of the rooster, and danced out into the stubble like a center-fielder, positioned perfectly to make the catch when the pheasant inevitably fell straight down. I'd swear my dog nearly caught the pheasant in mid-air, but nobody would believe me and I'm not sure I believe myself 30 years later.

I didn't gut the bird until I had him home later that day, and carefully dissected him... I had hit his heart with a single pellet, and his pericardium was full of blood. Classic cardiac tamponade. Physiologically fascinating, I must say.
Some years ago my son shot a dusky Canada goose that did the same. It was impressive how it hit the water!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You clearly revel in your idiocy. Most try to forget the real moron moments in their pathetic existence. Not you.

I was just making light of our previous back-n-forths.

But I gotta say it's a good thing you spent your whole life in an Indian Village because if people like me bother you in the virtual world, you'd blow your fugking brains out in the real world.

LOL

Fugkin' tea kettle.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pepsi...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent read, and the stuff that dreams are made of!

Thanks for taking us along!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'd rather go down to the corn crib and shoot rats than shoot a damn Sitka deer or a friggin Carryboo!!

reminds me of how astute I can be at times since neither is even close to the subject at hand.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cisco1
Buck Fever.

Nah, man. I was calm and was confident. Not nervous, not panicking. But whatever, I'll never know what happened other than my bison died on the quickness. And I'm calling that a win. Bash away. I can take it. I have 200 pounds of bison meat in my freezer...
As calm a shooter as I've ever seen. I had my hand on his shoulder close a few times to adjust our direction etc.. He was NOT shook up at all.

Sometimes things happen. Is what it is. Turned out perfectly. I never even put a round in my 458 chamber. Was never a need. The bear never showed up either so that was good too. Well yes and no.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495
The bear never showed up either so that was good too. Well yes and no.

Spoken like a man with a bear tag in his back pocket!! laugh

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good to see you Doc.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
But nothing about the buff?

Sheesh.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton,

re: your shot on that buffler.

I tend to think these things are the result of the influence of St Hubert, that Greek Artemis, Diana, and all the other ones in the ether involved in the hunt.

Sometimes I think there is guidance to avoid those nasty recoveries or losses of a wounded animal.

Dead is dead, and dead on the spot is many times the best kind of dead.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Sheesh.

Don't be such a deflave.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender

Sheesh.

Don't be such a deflave.
LOL!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.