Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Geno67 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The local slaughterhouse prefers .22 mag FMJ.

A lot of them do. I know I wouldn't want to get shot in the head with it.

Originally Posted by Business_rifle
Ive got the older 783 blued steel and walnut version. Mine loves the 50 grain federal soft point

Fine rifle BR. It seems pretty much all of them shoot well although you may have to find a round it likes.

Originally Posted by earlybrd
Happen to pick my boy up from school one day years ago.Went to check some trail cams ran into some turkeys the rest is history that boy is deadly when he puts his mind to it😉

Stone killer right there - fine bird and fine young man earlybrd.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Geno67 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

Dug war wagon out the tater bin for a pic

LOL @ war wagon that's a purdy one right there.

Originally Posted by slumlord

Awful fine looking rig for turtles. That's got to be one of the purdiest ones I've seen yet. Those laminated stocks sure look nice on them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happen to pick my boy up from school one day years ago.Went to check some trail cams ran into some turkeys the rest is history that boy is deadly when he puts his mind to it😉

I love that "take the Picture already!" look on his face.

Great photo.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Geno67
Marlin 883 22 mag. Terrible trigger - 12 lbs. Cut trigger return spring down and polished sear. Now a crisp 2 lbs.

Detail strip, cleaned and lubed. She's like a new gun. She's never been cleaned in the 20 years I've owned her. Been on a thousand hog hunts in knee deep mud in and out of boats hundreds of times, never cased and dunked in the river or sprayed off with a hose pipe when too muddy to handle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is an 882. The 883 has a tube magazine.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 882 22 mag. It's not fancy and yeah the trigger is too heavy unless you work on it. But it's tough as a hammered nail and has served me well for 30 years. Pretty accurate for an inexpensive rimfire rifle too. I carry mine when checking on corn feeders on our hunting grounds. The crack of that little 22 mag is the last thing a lot of hogs have heard before a 40 grain HP hit them behind the ear. Good little close range varmint gun.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by slumlord

Same model here......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had the ss lam 883 for years, one day noticed something was a miss, the bottom pin/screw on the trigger had broke, total pain to get out, and to drill out enlarged hole in process some, got it repinned and working but it always bothered me. Sent it down the road. They are bringing good money these days.

I do have a real nice 783 though

Last edited by killerv; 11/11/22.
Geno67 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Marlin 883 22 mag. Terrible trigger - 12 lbs. Cut trigger return spring down and polished sear. Now a crisp 2 lbs.

Detail strip, cleaned and lubed. She's like a new gun. She's never been cleaned in the 20 years I've owned her. Been on a thousand hog hunts in knee deep mud in and out of boats hundreds of times, never cased and dunked in the river or sprayed off with a hose pipe when too muddy to handle.

That is an 882. The 883 has a tube magazine.

I'll be damned. I went to take a pic to prove I was right and it sure is an 882. I must be dyslexic - I looked dead at it 4 or 5 times and read 883 every time. Thanks Blackheart - someone else pointed it out more subtly and I was too dense to get the hint. I changed the thread title to reflect that.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of variations on that rifle!

I have an older JM marked 882 SSV. Stainless varmint contour barrel. 3-9x40 Leupold VXII, trigger redone to 3.5 pounds. Custom camo job.

Nice rifle, but I really ought to sell it, or trade it off for lack of shooting. Not shot it in years. crazy

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Geno67 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
That's nice! rockinbbar. I am tempted to paint my stock and grind out the trigger serrations but I'm probably too lazy to. Plus, I'm still in the "not sure where I'll end up" phase of my life so with my luck I'd paint it jungle and be in NM a year later - lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Timely thread as I was just given a beat up 782 that I’m going to do some sort of refurb on. Debating oiling the stock back up and cold bluing the metal or just painting it all

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cool stuff! I have a Marlin 782 that I got when I was 17. It’s hell on groundhogs inside 125-150 yards. My longest kill was 152 yards. Tried to shoot tree squirrels with it. Too destructive for that. Also have a Marlin 17HMR, and a 99 M1 .22LR. I need to break them out and give each a good going over.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Geno67 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Use fmj/tmj on tree rats. Hollow points and soft points are too destructive.

DIY trigger job with pics can be found here:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/marlin-882-925-25-etc-trigger-mod-job.81505/

Be careful polishing trigger/sear contact. There's very little metal there to begin with so if you take much material off, it will be become unusable.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Geno!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dated mine to be a 1974 year of manufacture. My 7 yo decided he want to redo it with me so we got a good start this weekend.

He also said it needed to stay blued and wood for now so the scratched and lightly pitted brown patina metal got buffed with some entry cloth and 3 coats of cold blue applied. Still has some visible flaws but I didn’t plan to make it look new.

All new factory springs and screws on order from numrich.

The thick factory finish was stripped and the stock is currently drying from its second coat of spar varnish allowed to soak in and wiped dry to seal the wood. 2 more seal coats and we will star tru oil hell until the foreman (7yo) says it’s done.

If nothing else it will be a fun project with my boy and I won’t be into it for more then $80 all in. Pretty sure the boy will claim it as his when it’s all complete but so be it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I always use my rifles for 20 years before I adjust the trigger.

LOL

Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Figured I would bump this up now that my 7 yo is finally content with the stock finish we built up on it. Was a fun project and after replacing all the screws, springs and recoil pad I’m into it about $115 so can’t complain. Will see how it shoots here soon.

Attached Images
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.