Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 29 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 28 29
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I killed a buffalo.

Put a 200 grain partition @ 2,850 through his head at 100 yards. Custom 30/338.

Dropped in his tracks. Never even twitched. He didn't hear the sound of the shot.

Had I known it was worth a 23 page post, would have mentioned it sooner. LoL

GB4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ahhh, I think his posts were about more than the bison.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
OK, never-mind then. Forget I mentioned it. Shrug.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/10/22.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I believe Leighton when he said the bison ducked.

I brained a moose (he of the doubles of tines) at about 50 yards, same deal. The bullet was meant for the spine just behind his ears, but he started to duck and turn just as I shot.. When I skinned his head out, a chunk of bone the size of my palm came off the top of his skull with the skin. The brain just sort of fell out. Lights out!

I'll take it.

Last edited by las; 11/10/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
According to L, SD has video of the 42 degree bipod stance, 2' wide instant death shot.

We need to see the vid.

Awesome thread.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So who you going to believe- KG or a lying video? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
According to L, SD has video of the 42 degree bipod stance, 2' wide instant death shot.

We need to see the vid.

Problem is, those flip phone videos are never very good.

They make the Zapruder film look like modern cinematography.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

We need to see the vid.

Laughing! It is a samsung 22! IIRC.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SupFoo
OK, never-mind then. Forget I mentioned it. Shrug.
We already did....

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by smokepole
We need to see the vid.

Laughing! It is a samsung 22! IIRC.
Ooooo. Fancy!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by renegade50
How many of us on here have lost a game animal to a bad shot.
And have had that gut and soul ache for days trying everything you know and could do to find the animal.
Even for days after.... or found yourself weeks after still hoping to find or stumble on it at times.

Raise your hand.

🙋‍♂️😔😔😔
We did just this morning. Not that it was fatal at least. Chip shot really. Except the branch in the way we never saw at 230 appx yards. Poof. Something hit the buck. Tiger found blood. Found the buck bedded twice. I never got a shot. Last bed I had to dig like heck in leaves to find a bit of blood proving it was him. Zero blood after the first bed. We suspect really none the worse for wear.. Will check the pond again Saturday. But I doubt it. Easy rack to identify so we have 1.5 months left..

Regardless it sucks. And we were lamenting a few other weird shots. Some ended lucky like Leighton. Cool. Some not as much. A miss or two in there. Handful of long shots past 500. You just never know somedays. All the long ones have been perfect. Go figure

Thankful Leighton made it work!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Be sure you brown that first.
You clearly revel in your idiocy. Most try to forget the real moron moments in their pathetic existence. Not you.
wait. What. I see a hair

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by rost495
The bear never showed up either so that was good too. Well yes and no.

Spoken like a man with a bear tag in his back pocket!! laugh
always

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by deflave

Be sure you brown that first.
You clearly revel in your idiocy. Most try to forget the real moron moments in their pathetic existence. Not you.
wait. What. I see a hair
LOL

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Decided to cut off the meat between rib bones and make a little kabob meal. I had them at a the top of the freezer and they're big and a bit unwieldy, so wanted to get to those first.Not a whole lot of meat on a quarter rib cage, but I wasn't about to waste it. As a quick aside, SD was of the opinion that the bull I killed was badly emaciated. I wouldn't be able to comment one way or the other but trust his judgment. When we were butchering the bull in SD's kitchen, I saw there was some internal fat, but not much. With emaciation being the case or not, the flavor of the meat is flat out amazing.

I opined earlier that the raw product smells like sweet beef. That's exactly how it tasted. I chose to toss most of the rib meat for this meal in a Korean BBQ marinade, but I made it a point to do a couple of skewers with nothing but salt to judge flavor. I cooked them way on the rare side of medium rare. I'm an extremely happy chappy. The girls got a bunch of rib raw rib bones cut up and in the freezer to enjoy from time to time. 197 pounds left to work with and enjoy. wink

Thanks again to all for reading, posting on the thread and PMing me, and of course, a very special thanks again to all the AK rogues who made this hunt an incredible reality. A high-caliber adventure where memories were made to last and enjoy for a lifetime.

Yes, I removed most of the gristle/silverskin seen in the marinade before skewering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by renegade50
How many of us on here have lost a game animal to a bad shot.
And have had that gut and soul ache for days trying everything you know and could do to find the animal.
Even for days after.... or found yourself weeks after still hoping to find or stumble on it at times.

Raise your hand.

🙋‍♂️😔😔😔
I have, a cow elk in 2001 (or thereabouts) and an oryx in South Africa in 1995.

Kickapoo Caverns State Park, maybe 15 years back, doe cull hunt. I stood since before dawn next to a large cedar adjacent to a dirt vehicle access track maybe 30 yards upwind of an obvious deer trail, not moving. Watching and listening for birds mostly.

Lo and behold, at dawn a doe stepped out and began stepping and feeding in my direction. I had a Marlin 336 at port arms. Ever so slowly I brought the rifle up and sighted on the chest of the deer. By that time maybe 40 feet away. It saw me just as I pulled the trigger, I know I was looking at brown fur when I shot, no idea where or if I hit it. Spent the whole day walking circles looking for blood, nothing.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I think I could handle some of that right there.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by las

I brained a moose (he of the doubles of tines) at about 50 yards, same deal. The bullet was meant for the spine just behind his ears, but he started to duck and turn just as I shot.. When I skinned his head out, a chunk of bone the size of my palm came off the top of his skull with the skin. The brain just sort of fell out. Lights out!

I'll take it.

Actually, no my man, I don't believe the bull 'ducked', but in watching the video on SD's phone several times, I'm convinced it turned his head to his left just before impact. If I didn't make it crystal clear before, I'm not blaming anyone but myself for a poor shot. Exoneration is not what I'm seeking or asking for, and never did. In fact that had nothing to do with bugger all. My shot didn't strike the animal anywhere near where it was found I had hit him. I got lucky, period. I would however, love to be able to view the video on a proper computer screen at least. Maybe I'm wrong about the bull turning his head just before impact. Maybe what I saw was the head turning as a *result* of impact. I dunno'. Maybe SD will acquire a fuggin' cheap USB cable and simply download the video to his computer and send it to me to upload to YT and post, and maybe he won't. Time will tell... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton, shot worked regardless, awesome thread and pics!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

I'll take it.

Actually, no my man, I don't believe the bull 'ducked', but in watching the video on SD's phone several times, I'm convinced it turned his head to his left just before impact. If I didn't make it crystal clear before, I'm not blaming anyone but myself for a poor shot. Exoneration is not what I'm seeking or asking for, and never did. In fact that had nothing to do with bugger all. My shot didn't strike the animal anywhere near where it was found I had hit him. I got lucky, period. I would however, love to be able to view the video on a proper computer screen at least. Maybe I'm wrong about the bull turning his head just before impact. Maybe what I saw was the head turning as a *result* of impact. I dunno'. Maybe SD will acquire a fuggin' cheap USB cable and simply download the video to his computer and send it to me to upload to YT and post, and maybe he won't. Time will tell... wink

I spent significant time trying again today... it cannot go by USB cable... WIFI Direct will connect the phone to a tablet but then says the file is too large.

Aside from that, the bullet traveled between the axis and atlas , only breaking bone slightly toward the exit side. A radical turn would look very different in the wound channel. imo.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 24 of 29 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.