Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
For those of you that have them, were they worth it? My buddy swears by his. I just ordered one (230) for the sale price of $200.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
no. Last year I took a dump on the way to my blind. On the way out, there were deer tracks about a foot from it. I'll save the $200 for beer at the Buck Horn.

Last edited by tzone; 10/26/22.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was watching a deer show a week or two back and the guy was saying that all his rubber stuff was disintegrating because of the ozone. I hadn't heard that before, but I just Googled it and it's true. I just position myself using the prevailing wind direction and don't worry about the deer down wind.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nah

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best odor control device made is your 1st finger. Stick it in your mouth, then in the air so see which way the breeze is blowing. Plan your hunt accordingly.
Just last night I was worried about the wind screwing me up as I stalked a deer. I was climbing to where I knew he was. When I started, the breeze was from the west but as soon as I got 50' higher, the evening thermals switched it 180 degrees. I just knew that I was screwed but was able to swing toward the west below him and he didn't wind me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ozonic is a good product and has great customer service. It's not fool proof, some deer will still smell you. Most of the deer that smell you don't get overly stressed out and will go on about their way. Using the hanging closet you won't have to wash your hunting clothes all season. I've only been using the Ozonic for 5 season's and haven't seen any problems with rubber boots.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I’ve used ozone for several years by throwing my hunting clothes in a tote with a small generator. I had an issue with some Sitka fanatic bibs. The elastic wore out. I called them told them what happened they said ozone will deteriorate natural rubber quickly. They fixed them for free and said the replacement straps had synthetic rubber in them.

I purchased an Orion X last year when they were on sale. My experience is similar to TrueGrit with the deer. It’s like they don’t know what it is but don’t associate the ozone smell with humans. It blew my mind the first time one walked within spitting distance down wind of my ground blind.

Also don’t get water in the unit it will cost you $149 if they can fix it. Stupid Tax on my part.

Last edited by HickoryNut; 10/26/22.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
As some said above, play the wind. Yep, that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years. I hunt pretty much exclusively out of tree stands and elevated shooting sheds. We've all been there. In a stand, deer is in sight, wind shifts, game over. I'm hoping that this might just give me an edge. We'll see.

As far as the rubber deteriorating, yes, that's one thing my buddy has experienced. But he does put his stuff in a bag with a small ozone generator. But he said in the stand, it doesnt "soak" your clothes with ozone and ruin rubber, or elastic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They may well work to some degree, but even so I’m not interested. I hunt public land, and walk in from a half to a full mile or a bit more to my preferred spots (and back of course) over rolling terrain, and often through heavy cover, and on 70-something knees. Every season I start out carrying too much stuff and begin paring it down almost immediately, usually ending up with what I can cram into my pockets. If I’m going to tote something over hill and dale, it’s going to be something worth the trouble, a bino, coffee, or perhaps a rolled-up deer sled or other item to be left at my stand.

While I honestly don’t care how others hunt, or with what, for myself I feel I have to leave something on the table on the deers’ side. If the Ozonics really works, it would seriously impact the number one defense the deer have, and that would diminish my enjoyment and sense of accomplishment in a game that sometimes feels too easy as it is.

Again assuming they work, it might be a good tool for harvesting does, assisting new hunters, etc. especially from blinds and shacks. Didn’t even consider the possibility of damage to equipment. I wonder what, if any, the health impact of breathing ozone might be?

Sorry of this has been too much of a drift from your actual inquiry. Let us know what you think after using it a bit.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/27/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Negative, and that goes for any of the odor eliminating gimmicks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe that's why guys like hunting long range to avoid ozone issues?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or they can't stalk?

Yeah, I know- I'm bad.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by las
Or they can't stalk?

Yeah, I know- I'm bad.

I need to explain my situation w little better, I guess. I live on Virginia's Eastern Shore, and I'm a member of a hunt group. We have 22 beautiful leases over here with hard woods, pine thickets, big agricultural fields, and marsh edges. We aren't a group that runs dogs. We have over 200 tree stands posted on these properties, so there are plenty of places for our 60 person membership to spread out.

We are not allowed to still hunt, or go stalking. You sign up for a stand, and you hunt there for the morning, or afternoon.

Not looking to take this thing with me to my place in New Mexico. That's a whole different situation out there, and I won't be parked in a tree stand all morning/afternoon.

But out east, this "tool" might come in handy when the wind suddenly changes and you aren't allowed to change locations for safety reasons.

las, I lived in Palmer, AK for six years. Couldn't imagine needing one of these up there. Different world for sure! Cheers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the situation you describe, it sounds like the anti-stink machine might be a useful tool, if it actually works.

Let us know your results.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
In the situation you describe, it sounds like the anti-stink machine might be a useful tool, if it actually works.

Let us know your results.

Will do

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I actually really like using it

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Longsqhot, tried to PM you, does your club have any openings? Have hunted the eastern shore off Chincoteague for 40+ years. Thank you!

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
no. Last year I took a dump on the way to my blind. On the way out, there were deer tracks about a foot from it. I'll save the $200 for beer at the Buck Horn.

In any place where they’re accustomed to human activity I suspect they don’t automatically fear our stink, of whatever origin. Aware, sure, but without confirmation from another sense, I doubt it’s a big deal to them. They’re individuals of course, so past experience probably plays a role too. The WMA I hunt has a lot of civilian presence at times, so I’ve stopped worrying about where I pee. Besides, if they can smell the pee I sent arching from my treestand, they can smell my breath and other noxious emissions.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.