Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
What do you guys think of the official kneeling position?
I think it’s a crock myself. I can shoot better from the sitting position.

Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed a video, and I’m using my phone, which makes less likely….

Thanks for sharing. I CAN’T BELIEVE THE LACK OF EYE AND EAR PROTECTION. That’s not a good look for CPW. I run a can on my 18” 308 and still wear ear pro at the range for the supersonic crack. And prosthetic eyes have a long way to go before I’ll sling lead at the range without eye pro…

Hopefully CPW has another (fit) officer for demonstrating packing a bull off the dunes on his back…

Congrats to all who were selected and best of luck with your quals. Would greatly appreciate hunt results posted so I can participate vicariously!

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/13/22.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by smokepole
Which won't be the case on the actual hunt, no posts out there that I know of. So when you're on the actual hunt, it would be not only unorthodox but useless. And by unorthodox, I meant it wouldn't be the position you'd use given the choice in the field

So why use it to qualify? That was really the question.

It can be used in the field if you're using shooting sticks, tripod, tree, rock, or off a tall pack. It's far from a usless position to practice from. If you're not using any of the above mentioned things in the field, then the more traditional kneeling method is going to be preferred.

Yeah, I know. The more different positions your good with the better. If I'm using sticks and kneeling is an option because there's no ground clutter, I'll most likely be sitting. Or prone if possible. I just don't see why they don't allow those options.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Holy sh it. A simple video and everyone is a position and fitness expert.

This place never disappoints.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Which won't be the case on the actual hunt, no posts out there that I know of. So when you're on the actual hunt, it would be not only unorthodox but useless. And by unorthodox, I meant it wouldn't be the position you'd use given the choice in the field

It can be used in the field if you're using shooting sticks, tripod, tree, rock, or off a tall pack. It's far from a usless position to practice from. If you're not using any of the above mentioned things in the field, then the more traditional kneeling method is going to be preferred.

Yeah, I know. The more different positions your good with the better. If I'm using sticks and kneeling is an option because there's no ground clutter, I'll most likely be sitting. Or prone if possible. I just don't see why they don't allow those options.

Why complain about it? You don't have to shoot the same way, you just have to hit the targets. Their special hunt, their rules. You just have to play their game, if you want to do this. I can't be at the CPW beck and call because of my work, so I didn't apply.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Why complain about it? You don't have to shoot the same way, you just have to hit the targets. Their special hunt, their rules. You just have to play their game, if you want to do this. I can't be at the CPW beck and call because of my work, so I didn't apply.

I'm not complaining, alpine posted the video and asked people's opinions and I gave mine, that's all. In fact, I'll probably use the guy's kneeling position for 200 and 300 and not bother to go prone. It's very solid when you're leaning into a post and supported by sticks.

But there won't be any posts out there so it's kind of curious that kneeling with a post is "the official position." Just my opinion.

I hear you on the "beck and call" stuff. Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly and illustrative.

If a hunter or shooter believes the position is useless in the field, he simply is a novice and hasn’t done much shooting.

A shooter has to be able to build a position that’s solid in the field. Prone with a bipod and a rear bag isn’t possible in every situation.

Why use that position to qualify?

Because they want to see if you can shoot proficiently and not have a schitshow of wounded animals produced by idiots who don’t have basic shooting skills.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

Probably the best move for you.

It would be a real gut punch to drive all that way only to have a hole in your game exposed in front of a bunch a people

👍🏼

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

Probably the best move for you.

It would be a real gut punch to drive all that way only to have a hole in your game exposed in front of a bunch a people

👍🏼

LOL, shooting to qualify isn't what I was talking about dipschit, my date and time to shoot is set, I have the day off, and I'm going. I'm talking about the actual hunt, that's not scheduled yet. Of course, if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that.

And WTF are you talking about "my game?" It may be your game, but it ain't mine. I rarely even hunt with centerfire rifles.

And since we're giving advice here, my advice to you is to up your game in things that really matter, like running your business. The online reviews that people have posted here are not kind. But hey, at least you're "LGBTQ friendly" so you've got that going for you. What does that even mean, anyway?

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well, since I've seen ol' Smoke shoot at the Icebreaker, and kill lots of PD's here on the ranch well past 600 yards, and bang the holy bejeebus outta my steel, the LAST thing I'd have to say about him is 'doesn’t have a clue how to shoot
'
Believe me. He won't have ANY trouble with qualifying at that circus, OR killing elk at any range he wants to.

Thanks Don. Not in the same class as guys like you and Jordan, never claimed to be a "sharpshooter" or an expert marksman. I just want to put some meat in the freezer and it it helps CP&W manage the herd, so much the better.

rcuntmuglia seems to have a problem with that. Life in the peanut gallery I guess.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Because they want to see if you can shoot proficiently and not have a schitshow of wounded animals produced by idiots who don’t have basic shooting skills.

LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

God you’re dumb

Right in the video, the G&F officer clearly stated to bring what you will be using on the hunt.

Tripod, shooting sticks, etc…

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, I saw that. And then allow you to lean up against a post. A post that you won't have in the field.

Do you get it now? I could draw a picture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I saw that. And then allow you to lean up against a post. A post that you won't have in the field.

You are too dense to understand the entire purpose of the qualification.

LOLOLOLOL

They want rifle shooters with a certain level of proficiency. If you can’t kneel and shoot a target that’s 6MOA at 200 yards they don’t want you.

Do YOU get it now?

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/13/22. Reason: To draw pole a picture

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

LOLOLOLOL

They want rifle shooters with a certain level of proficiency. If you can’t kneel and shoot a target that’s 6MOA at 200 yards they don’t want you.

Do YOU get it now?

I’m with smoke on this one. Seems odd to offer a post to qualify on when shot opportunities in the park will be on sand dunes. And the shooter should demonstrate their ability with the support they brought to use in the field (tripod/sticks/bipod/pack) IMO.

Not sure why you feel the need to single him out like that. A lot of folks on here learned practical marksmanship long before the Creedmoor cartridges were invented or PRS matches were a thing. Skills like shooting prairie dogs, calling coyotes, and shooting steel out to 1,200 yards with hand loaded wildcat cartridges. And hunting antelope, deer, and elk at a multitude of ranges in real world hunting conditions. I’m guessing many of us on here don’t have anything to prove and aren’t concerned about our ability to qualify, just trying to get a handle on how the game is played with this CPW management hunt.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/13/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
.... just trying to get a handle on how the game is played with this CPW management hunt.

Again, and for the last time....

This is not a hunting or recreational opportunity – it is an intensive elk management effort. This qualification has proven to be difficult for even the most seasoned elk hunters, said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rick Basagoitia. Those who advance through the application process then must complete a shooting qualification hitting small targets the size of an elk’s vitals at 200 and 300 yards. Those attending the qualifying shoot must hit each target three times in a row without a miss within a three minute time period. This standard is likely the minimum allowable standard given the difficulty of the work we need volunteers to do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOLOLOLOL

The purpose of the qualification is obvious, moron.

You're too dense to read what I said and understand it. Which is amazing because it ain’t rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
But there won't be any posts out there so it's kind of curious that kneeling with a post is "the official position." Just my opinion.

I never once heard the demonstrator say that kneeling at the post was the official position. I did see him refer to the shooting position before pointing out the target at 200 and 300. I took that to mean the firing line he was standing on, but it did look like he kind of gestured toward the post and maybe that is what you're referring to? He also made it very clear you could use a tripod or shooting sticks you bring or use the wobbly post provided.

I'm just letting you know how I understood the video presented. I think this is where we are getting things crossed. I hope when it's your turn to hunt, it's more pleasant than the application made it sound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And WTF are you talking about "my game?" It may be your game, but it ain't mine. I rarely even hunt with centerfire rifles.

The exact type the G&F is trying ferret out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I never once heard the demonstrator say that kneeling at the post was the official position. I did see him refer to the shooting position before pointing out the target at 200 and 300. I took that to mean the firing line he was standing on, but it did look like he kind of gestured toward the post and maybe that is what you're referring to? He also made it very clear you could use a tripod or shooting sticks you bring or use the wobbly post provided.

Yeah!! But that post!! Why do they say you can use that post!!! There isn’t gonna be any posts out there!!!

LOL

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The exact type the G&F is trying ferret out

LOL, no, they want to ferret out thise that can't hit the target.

English, learn it.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,207
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.