Print Thread
Hop To
S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Was waiting for a Dr's prescription to be filled at my local WalMart and wandered back to the Sporting Goods counter to kill time and noticed for the 1st time some Stainless Steel Savages in 30'06 and 6.5 CM & mebbe some other calibers too, at killer low prices....so my ? is ...how worthwhile value is a rifle in one of these new to me SS Savages?

Anybody using one of the Savage's now?, 'cause I am looking for a low cost 6.5CM to learn the in's & out's of the CM on before I sink high 4 or low 5 figure $'s on a One & Done Lifetime Keeper Creedmoor. I was getting real close to buying a more common Ruger American from another local chain store for a CM learning tool at half again the $'s of the Savage , and all of the BIG Mega sized Chain Stores are out of stock on Ruger American CM 's within 100+ miles of me.
Ya'lls comments either Pro or Con appreciated.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 11/09/22. Reason: clarity
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the deal is right, I'd buy one. It'll probably shoot lights out, might put some of you're more expensive rifles to shame. I quit buying Savage when I couldn't pick up a brand new 10/110 rifle for less than $400.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really dislike the ergs of the Savage Axis, so unless I absolutely needed a rifle, any rifle, at that exact moment I wouldn't buy one for any price unless it was to flip. I paid $215 for a used Axis in 6.5 CM a couple of years ago for one of my son's friends to use on his first deer hunt, but after handling it, I bought a Mossberg Patriot for him to use.

Different folks, different strokes, so if you handle it and like it and the price is right maybe you should go ahead and buy it. You can always flip it if it doesn't work out for you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I really dislike the ergs of the Savage Axis,

I agree if it's an Axis I'd pass as well.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
The triggers on the regular Axis suck. If it’s an Axis2 it’s ok. Edk

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What were the approximate killer prices?

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The CM was tagged at $389 in a short action caliber as I recall & the 30'06 was tagged at $400. Better prices than I am used to seeing at WalMartfor sure.
Another small chain we have down here in East & North Texas & Oklahoma, called "Attwood's" is another place I shop hard as they always have stock of some kind on a Sale Price Promo on hand. Atwood's Flyer last Sunday had a Bennelli 12 gauge pump with fixed sights at $299 that'd be great up close in a firefight. I looked at an Atwoods store about 10 days ago and they don't always have inventory. I looked mostly at the Up graded Ruger American's w/scopes couple weeks ago and they were running high $4's or just under $500 in composite stocks that failed to impress me, fit and feel wise.

All the DFW area Main Line Spt Goods stores are still showing all of these choices' at a Sale Price but if you pull up the inventory On Hand every last one of 4 chains stores were out of stock and listed a Full Retail and not the Sale Price noted in the 1st set of product' listed. I ain't gonna drive 3-4 hours one way only to be told Sorry We are out of that item, try us again next month or whatever. I wish we had a Sportsman's in North Texas.
Ron

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd consider a 110 Apex but not an Axis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sakoron
Was waiting for a Dr's prescription to be filled at my local WalMart and wandered back to the Sporting Goods counter to kill time and noticed for the 1st time some Stainless Steel Savages in 30'06 and 6.5 CM & mebbe some other calibers too, at killer low prices....so my ? is ...how worthwhile value is a rifle in one of these new to me SS Savages?

Anybody using one of the Savage's now?, 'cause I am looking for a low cost 6.5CM to learn the in's & out's of the CM on before I sink high 4 or low 5 figure $'s on a One & Done Lifetime Keeper Creedmoor. I was getting real close to buying a more common Ruger American from another local chain store for a CM learning tool at half again the $'s of the Savage , and all of the BIG Mega sized Chain Stores are out of stock on Ruger American CM 's within 100+ miles of me.
Ya'lls comments either Pro or Con appreciated.
Ron

Yeah, our local Wallie Worlds in Southern Oregon did that 2 years ago...

its because they are selling off all of their guns and won't be selling any or ammo within the next 6 months or less

I bought 4 rifles for the price of two.. but beyond that, kinda tinks me off you can't buy firearms there anymore..

And then our democRATS just cheated their voting again, to lessen anyone's ability to even purchase firearms in Oregon...claiming a ballot referrendum passed that I'll be wasn't even close to passing.... but they are the first state to impose Mail in Voting.. and have been winning via cheating their asses off....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Axis rifles, like most Savage shoot well. Almost as ugly as a Tikka, so they get a pass from me.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I just finished sighting in an Axis 2 , adjusted the accu trigger down to 2.5 lbs after trimming spring. Stock is very cheap but at 300 yds the accuracy with factory ammo is very good. Since most people shoot/ kill under that , I'd say it's a good starter rifle for people like my son in law who can't afford much else. You have to start somewhere.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hmmm sounds like it'd make a good Cajun Gun...paddle the jon boat, beat the dog's off the hog's and shoot anything still moving under 200 yards. We have a new place to hunt in the Deep Woods, that looks more like the 50's movie Creature from the Black Lagoon" . that covers large parts of 2 counties. I am itching to go for a stroll but have been fighting health problems since last March that are almost whipped. I'll keep throwin' ?'s at ya'll as I dream them up.
Ron

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Being left handed started with the 110 in 3006 and 22-250 back in the 60's. Last year bought 2 stainless Axis 2 in 308 and 3006 for the kids. The guns shoot lights out. They were $316 at Wally World. If you like Savages take a good look!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m not a big Savage guy, but own 2. The 1st is an older 110 in 30-06, under $200, but had to get a new stock for it. I call it my ‘loaner rifle’, works fine.

The 2nd is an Axis from Walmart, 22-250. It was marked $194 on clearance 3 or so years ago. I did some trigger mod & it shoots fine. I wanted a partner for my custom 22-250.

I do like nice firearms but admit that it doesn’t take a $1500 rifle to kill a deer or coyote at 75 yards.

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just got back from running all over 5 county's in East Texas chasing the ever elusive advertised $300 Creed Moor Rifle. Started todays journey at Atwoods in Jacksonville: yesterday late afternoon the clerk's showed me a Smith & Wesson labeled CM and made by Ruger labeled, but well made looking gun price tagged at a little over $ 300. No magazine clip to fuss with and a well balanced solid feeling rifle, but a way too long & heavy barrel for my taste. Today after going thru all the ATF process at the same Atwoods location as yesterday we took the Smith & Wesson labeled rifle up to the cashier and got hit with a $539 price...instead of the $339 price I'm expecting. I am working on a tight budget until I can sell off some more gun stuff, so I passed.

We go back to the gun dept and they pull out a rifle with TC Compass II stamped on the receiver & price tagged at $300 + TTL. I went on and paid the $339 but am scratching my head how did this all take place to begin with? I've shopped Atwoods in other areas and always have had no problems with pricing changing from store to store. By the way Attwoods is part of the Tractor Supply system.

Any comments about the viability of the TC rifle ???.
Im gonna shoot it if I get a chance to take it to the range this Season anyway so we'll see if the TC does shoot as accurately as is implied in the literature.

On the way thru Jacksonville this morning I had stopped by the local Walmart and all they had was 3 rifles on the totally empty wall & no clerk anywhere in the dept ...all 3 rifles were Rugers, at way over $500. Comments Please about the TC III rifle's usability or if they have reputation for any negative issues to be I need to be aware of in the past.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 11/17/22. Reason: Clarity
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sakoron
Just got back from running all over 5 county's in East Texas chasing the ever elusive advertised $300 Creed Moor Rifle. Started todays journey at Atwoods in Jacksonville: yesterday late afternoon the clerk's showed me a Smith & Wesson labeled CM and made by Ruger labeled, but well made looking gun price tagged at a little over $ 300. No magazine clip to fuss with and a well balanced solid feeling rifle, but a way too long & heavy barrel for my taste. Today after going thru all the ATF process at the same Atwoods location as yesterday we took the Smith & Wesson labeled rifle up to the cashier and got hit with a $539 price...instead of the $339 price I'm expecting. I am working on a tight budget until I can sell off some more gun stuff, so I passed.

We go back to the gun dept and they pull out a rifle with TC Compass II stamped on the receiver & price tagged at $300 + TTL. I went on and paid the $339 but am scratching my head how did this all take place to begin with? I've shopped Atwoods in other areas and always have had no problems with pricing changing from store to store. By the way Attwoods is part of the Tractor Supply system.

Any comments about the viability of the TC rifle ???.
Im gonna shoot it if I get a chance to take it to the range this Season anyway so we'll see if the TC does shoot as accurately as is implied in the literature.

On the way thru Jacksonville this morning I had stopped by the local Walmart and all they had was 3 rifles on the totally empty wall & no clerk anywhere in the dept ...all 3 rifles were Rugers, at way over $500. Comments Please about the TC III rifle's usability or if they have reputation for any negative issues to be I need to be aware of in the past.
Ron

The Compass is likely to be a completely serviceable and accurate rifle. I have no idea what the Smith and Wesson would have been.

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just noticed on the way to put the T/C Compass box in the storage area AND NOTICED that under the T/C logo it sez "TC America's Master Gun Maker" & under that was "Part of the Smith & Wesson Family "

Ok I get what was going with all the different COMPANY NAMES ON THE BOX AND LITERATURE .

huh? WHO'DA THOUGHT
RON

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.