Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by roundoak
If you are in our deer camp and I put you on a stand where I think you will see deer and shoot deer and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back. If we are making deer drives and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back.
Pretty much just the opposite here. I shoot every coyote I see and expect anyone hunting on our property to do the same.

I allways shoot coyotes when I see them. But Roundoak has shot more big bucks than I have ever seen in season, he knows more about them than 95+% of all the deer hunters you know and read about anywhere. He has many acres of prime whitetail habitat and manages it better for big whitetails than just about anybody ever. I'm all ears when he talks...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Shooting doesn’t seem to bother deer much here

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Killed this one last weekend

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If you are in our deer camp and I put you on a stand where I think you will see deer and shoot deer and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back. If we are making deer drives and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back.
Pretty much just the opposite here. I shoot every coyote I see and expect anyone hunting on our property to do the same.

I allways shoot coyotes when I see them. But Roundoak has shot more big bucks than I have ever seen in season, he knows more about them than 95+% of all the deer hunters you know and read about anywhere. He has many acres of prime whitetail habitat and manages it better for big whitetails than just about anybody ever. I'm all ears when he talks...mb

I'm with roundoak. We've got all winter to chase coyotes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco

Pipe bomb?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot coyotes when I see them, if someone is hunting on my place and doesn't shoot a coyote when they can they aren't welcome back. The only acceptable excuse would be because a huge buck is coming on a string, and even then the coyote better get shot at after the deer if remotely possible. If it's me hunting, I'll shoot the coyote first as soon as I see him. I've shot several big bucks, killing coyotes or passing on them doesn't have anything to do with it. If anything I've had more deer spooked by yotes and screwed up a hunt than anything.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by hanco

Pipe bomb?

7 mag, he was walking through the bushes

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much whatever blows somebody's dress up.

We all have different mindsets on what works for us and different ideas.

Some want to kill coyotes while deer hunting and some dont.

Like SKane says, we have all winter to kill coyotes but they have 24/7/365 to roam the countryside, no seasons or regulations for what they do.

If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it, I figure missing out on a deer is better than the number of fawns, turkeys and small critters a coyote kills.

But if you come to my place you better be killing coyotes, foxes, bobcats and coons. I don't need em around at all. Already have better than a 50% reduction in turkeys from 15 years ago. More than just the coyotes factor into that but far less houndsmen around than we had helping control those coyotes.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/14/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Killed this little pig, Coyote decide to check him out after pig squealed. 308

Last edited by hanco; 11/14/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
"If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it" Ouch...that makes me wince a bit. I'm still looking for a 180" buck! smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
"If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it" Ouch...that makes me wince a bit. I'm still looking for a 180" buck! smile
Just a buck deer. Some get wrapped up over a 150". Yep that's a very nice deer but takes a but more than that to get me really excited.

Want to talk about something to get me wound up
Give me a 24-25# gobbler, 12+" beard and 1 3/4" spurs. Bet they are more rare than some of these "big" bucks.

But we can't kill either if we are feeding coyotes.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/14/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The only acceptable excuse would be because a huge buck is coming on a string, and even then the coyote better get shot at after the deer if remotely possible.

So, there are big differences in topography and terrain throughout the states (and Canada) and I think that aids in shaping our feelings toward doing so.
For instance, in our neck of the woods, we're hunting pretty solid timber – I don't know what I'm not seeing, ergo, I'm not making unnecessary noise. If I'm in stand to hunt deer, I'm hunting deer.

Now, where I've hunted in states like Nebraska and Kansas, many times I can see an awfully long way and I have a lot better understanding of what I could or couldn't bugger. And, I've shot coyotes in those situations but not at the expense of what I'm there to do because what I'm there to do has come at considerable expense. whistle

WWP53D
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by DANNYL
If a nice buck and a coyote were both in range I'd take the coyote first.
Every time 👍

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
And everybody around here wonders why we have quite a few less deer and I bet 75% of the turkeys we had 20 years ago.

Very few coon hunters left, a few trappers and guys let predators walk.

Less rabbits and quail and more raptors than ever.

I never have figured out why we kill 4 legged predators and the birds get a pass.

You Just described Western New YORK ! (Except Quail, Never had them here) and NO Grouse.

Dirty Harry

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did shoot one coyote while setting under a juniper tree watching a junction of crossing deer paths. Afterwards, I decided not to that again because we drove a long way to hunt deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sunday morning I had a small doe walk by and seemed pretty nervous. Five minutes later a Coyote was standing in front of me in her tracks, he got it and jumped into the corn about 30 yds out and died. Another 5 minutes goes by and a 2.5 year old Buck is standing in the same spot looking for the Coyote he knows is in the corn. Slowly he walked off tracking the small doe.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wacked this one at first light Saturday, had a doe and buck trot right by it later, didnt seem to spook them

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I come to your camp can I kill a coyote after I kill one of them big ol sumac island bucks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
If I come to your camp can I kill a coyote after I kill one of them big ol sumac island bucks?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gun shots don't really seem to bother the deer around here unless it's really close. I can't tell you how many times I've shot a deer and had more deer show up within the next couple of minutes.

However, in this case, I shot the deer first and I did it with a muzzle loader. The buck gets within 50 yards and I shoot it. The buck takes off and goes about 100 yards and crashes in the thicket. Out runs the yote and stops in front of me at 25 yards. My first thought was that I'd never be able to reload in time or I was going to get busted. The coyote hung around long enough and every time he turned his back or went behind a tree I made my moves. He screwed around too long and I shot him when he was about 50 yards away.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,217 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,748
Posts18,514,645
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.