Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ok, first, our cat knocked my RCBS 10-10 scale down from its shelf to the next shelf, about 18 inches. Now I find that I am having a hard time getting it to zero out. I run out of adjustment on the zero screw before it is zeroed. Is it possible to somehow knock it out of zero and secondly, it that a problem that can be recalibrated?

Second part of the question is this: If the current scale is messed up, what are the experiences out there with either a digital scale or with the scale/powder dispenser combos?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give RCBS a call, they can likely help and possibly repair the scale for you.....1-800-533-5000
I`ve no experiance with the dispenser/scales but I have a Pact digital that I use for weighting bullets, brass, ect. I prefer a beam scale for wieghting known powder charges, but a digital is faster for unknown wgts. presonally I would stay with a beam and forget the digital unless it is as a second/backup scale.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had nearly the same thing happen to an Ohaus 10-10 about 30 years ago and I sent it off to them and they gave me a brand new one at no charge. The RCBS 10-10 is the same scale, Ohaus does not sell powder scales to the general public any more. I think I remember that RCBS when they were Omark Industries assumed all of the liability for all of the Ohaus powder scales in use by the general public and went into an agreement to buy all the production of Ohaus, the name Ohaus disappeared off of general consumer powder scales as a result of this agreement. My suggestion is the same, give them a call. I started using an electronic dispensing scale a year ago and I still check it with the 304 beam scale. The electronic dispensing scales will spoil you in a hurry, since I weigh every charge for my rifle loads. Over the years I have bought a Redding 505, an RCBS 304 powder scales, and two sets of check weights at yard sales. This allows me to have a portable scale to take to the range when things get cool and slow down. Good luck with your scale.
Good shooting,
Marcus.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. I did call them and now have to send in the scale for recalibration. I also have been weighing every charge and was thinking that one of the electronic dispensing scales would save some time. Have you found them to be accurate compared to weighing loads out one at a time?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I really like my RCBS Chargemaster. You might take a look at these links. I think they are getting a little dated, since the Lyman has been upgraded.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Hope this helps,

Steve

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I use the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and I really like it.

It is a great scale combo and I find it to be very accurate. It is set to be recalibrated every time you turn it on and the calibration weights are provided.

I looked long and hard for scales and due to the amount of reloading that I do it just seemed to be the way to go. It is so much easier loading 1000 rounds when you don't have to weigh every charge because the machine does it for you.

It has plenty of memory storage for your favorite rounds.

That coupled with the RCBS's replacement gaurantee is what sold me on this scale. It's a bit high end but for the reloading that I do, it is well worth the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1
"I really like my RCBS Chargemaster."

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
C
cwh Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I had to laugh when I read about your cat. My daughter's cat is living with us temporarily and resides in my reloading room. It wasn't my first choice, but it was the only place in the house where we could keep it away from our dogs. I put a bunch of stuff away before he got here and thought I had it cat-proof. My daugher checked it out and mentioned that he's been known to chew power cords so my RCBS ChargeMaster combo and case tumbler went into the closet, too.

Not long ago I needed to load a box of ammo so I used my RCBS 10-10 scale that sits on a shelf at eye level above the bench. I'd weighed out a dozen and the charged cases were sitting in my loading block next to me on the bench (I hadn't seated the bullets yet). I was carefully weighing out number 13 when the cat apparently decided he needed more attention than he was getting and jumped up from the floor and landed in the middle of my loading block...sure shocked me and the cat as brass, powder and some tools scattered all over the room. Fortunately the 10-10 was unscathed.

Trust me when I say it's a lot funnier now that it was then. The cat is still with us and may be through the end of the year so after your experience I think I'll stash the 10-10 scale in the closet out of harms way, too.

Getting back to your post, I've used the RCBS 10-10 scale for more than 25 years and it's always been reliable. That said, I bought the ChargeMaster combo earlier this year and for all the reasons mentioned in the earlier posts, wonder why I didn't get one sooner. It's great. I especially like being able to easily weigh cases, bullets, etc on the digital scale.

When the cat leaves, the 10-10 will come back out of the closet as I like having both of them on the bench, but the ChargeMaster combo will continue to get the most use. It's a great tool.

I bet RCBS will take care of you. Good luck.

Chuck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.