Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's a fair question

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not to take away from the loss of life but I would think whenever something as precious as a B-17 or similar goes up that the show would sorta "clear the lanes" so to speak.

Don't nobody wanna see all those other fugkin' planes anyway.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These guys are ALL experienced pilots.

To me, it had to be deliberate on the P 63 Pilots part, or else the guy had a medical problem like a heart attack.
With his trajectory, he had to see the B 17 in front of his flight path.

Or else he had some sort of personal problem going on in his life, financial or marital or what ever, and just decided to take himself out quickly
with no thought to those inside the B 17.

I love these old planes, and have done so my entire life since childhood.

However due to their age, the lack of available parts and the cost to keep them flying, I think it is time that the FAA needs to ground them and let them spend the rest of their lives as static displays.

Where the P 63 hit the Fortress right behind the wings, and in front of where the waist gunner's positions are, that was either deliberate, or a one in a million shot...probably the weakest or most vulnerable spot on the A/C's body...

Let them keep the planes running and taxi them around the airfield, but I think its time to quit taking them to wing and flying.

these planes are 77 to 80 plus years old....they were never built to be kept flying that long.
Hell, the life span average for a B 17 bound for the ETO, and especially the 8th AF in England, 1943 from the time it came off the assembly line, was accepted by the Army Air Force, flown across the Atlantic, inspected at the dispatch depot in England, assigned to a unit, had the crew assigned to it some familiarization flight ( usually new crews, not an experienced crew ) and the end of its service life in combat... either shot down over continental Europe, or brought back to its home airfield in England shot to hell and back, and written off.... that time frame was 7 weeks in 1943....

and the B 17 that went down in Dallas after being hit by the P 63, was at least 77 years old if it was built in 1945., when production had ended...
The P 63 itself, was either built in late 1944 or early 1945... and 90% of ALL P 63 Production was given to the Russians....

Even if it wasn't pilot error or suicidal intention, both of these birds were on Borrowed time...they can't live forever... no matter how much I love them and revere the men who flew them during WW 2.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
These guys are ALL experienced pilots.

To me, it had to be deliberate on the P 63 Pilots part, or else the guy had a medical problem like a heart attack.
With his trajectory, he had to see the B 17 in front of his flight path.

Or else he had some sort of personal problem going on in his life, financial or marital or what ever, and just decided to take himself out quickly
with no thought to those inside the B 17.

Deliberate? I HIGHLY doubt it.

He had to see the B-17 in front of his flight path? Study up on some mid-air crashes.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing wrong with the planes or pilots. There were just too many planes in too small a space for the pilot to keep track of.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
How does that even happen?

RIP
IT's called the idiot flying the P-63...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Second guessing a tragedy like this is futile. The B17 was bigger and slower. The P63 was faster. It was just a tragic mistake.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wow...
4 planes at low altitude.
One on level path .
3 maneuvering around it in close proximity and timing..
????

Were all 4 in the process of landing approach or getting ready to land.
The B17 looked like it was descending on a straight path.
The fighter planes doing maneuvers at that altitude while the 17 was doing it approach to land????

I dunno...

They have to file like a flight plan and describe what they are gonna do for a exhibition like this wouldnt they???
Whoever would reveiw a plan would allow maneuvering like that at low altitude around a built up area on approaches to a airport????

It don't seem right that it would be allowed.

Not a pilot, but damm it dont seem right they was doing maneuvers like that at low altitude on the approaches to a runway to land.
????

Gonna be alot of questions on what was procedure or planned versus what they was doing.

I hope it wasnt a case of last minute hotdogging it.
And people died as a result of that possibly is pretty sad.

I dunno....

🤷‍♂️😔😔

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, watching all those videos certainly tells you that the Dallas executive airport is in South Dallas.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rainshot
Second guessing a tragedy like this is futile. The B17 was bigger and slower. The P63 was faster. It was just a tragic mistake.

I’m sure some pilots here will offer their opinions but I don’t think “tragic mistake” usually cuts it in that world.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It seems like either the bomber was in the guys blind spot (under his nose)…

or

The fighter had a malfunction like his stick froze up..

Possibly both.

Tragic either way for all concerned

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Has there been any comment from tower yet, visual observation or on screen of the incident?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Morewood
How does that even happen?

RIP
IT's called the idiot flying the P-63...
I don't know if this is true or not.
I saw a news clip last night where they had someone on, claiming that the person on the ground in charge of the air space told the P-63 pilot to start their dive/turn.
If true it sounds like the person on the ground screwed up in judging the space needed to make the maneuvers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Two things are true here:

Non-pilots have no clue what they're talking about.

Actual pilots here have a pretty good idea but are confident that the accident board will do the talking.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Judging by the videos it looked like the P63's turn went a little lower and wider than the pilot had intended. Just human error, he simply made a mistake. Doing it on purpose, no, that's outlandish speak. Get real. People make mistakes. Sometimes our mistakes have terrible consequences.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let them keep the planes running and taxi them around the airfield, but I think its time to quit taking them to wing and flying.

Why bother to keep them running if you're just gonna make a museum outta them. And if you don't fly them, HTF are you gonna get them from place to place for folks to see them? Hook a gooseneck to the nose, fold up the wings and tow them?....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Two things are true here:

Non-pilots have no clue what they're talking about.

Actual pilots here have a pretty good idea but are confident that the accident board will do the talking.
You know the campfire can't resist.

Redout...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot

"constant bearing, decreasing range", works every time whether you're driving a car a ship or an airplane. The B17 was flying straight and on a steady course, the P-63 came from behind him, approximately the 17s 8'Oclock to 2 O' Clock position. Looks like he wanted to cut the pass real close to the 17 and grossly underestimated. The video is there, it was all on the guy driving the P-63.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I respect your opinion Jorge. I’m not a pilot but I love aviation. All I know is when your going fast things happen very fast.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Why bother to keep them running if you're just gonna make a museum outta them. And if you don't fly them, HTF are you gonna get them from place to place for folks to see them? Hook a gooseneck to the nose, fold up the wings and tow them?....

Well uh you see uh.. you see that Toyota commercial where the tundra pulled the space shuttle???

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.