Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Was hoping some hunters on here has had some luck. Due to a Health Issue my Hands/feet are getting extremely cold now. has anyone had any good luck with heated socks/gloves that have worked and performed well? Ive tried hand warmers and so on but they just don't cut it. Thanks in Advance.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Costco has a pair of heated socks that we're going to try this weekend. They're pricey but foot warmers aren't free and don't really cut it when it's 10 degrees. Hope to hear others weigh in as well.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I keep my hands in my pockets, can’t stand gloves. Especially when you only got .013 seconds to get a shot between two trees at a trotting buck

Ain’t hunting a 100000 acre bean field

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
I keep my hands in my pockets, can’t stand gloves. Especially when you only got .013 seconds to get a shot between two trees at a trotting buck

Ain’t hunting a 100000 acre bean field

Neither do I but that doesn’t work anymore, especially in Maine.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Merino wool glove liners. Two pair. Rotate them for dryness.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a pair of heated socks off Amazon a month ago and so far they have worked great. Three different heat levels and on the lowest setting they last about 7-8 hours. Plug the battery packs back in at night and ready to go again in the morning.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
As for hands, a nice muff with light or no gloves works well.

Something like this usually does the trick....
Tractor Supply hand muff

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the throw away hand warmers. For my feet, I toss one in boot insulator over boot pacs, for the hands, I keep one in each pocket, and wear breathable wool gloves. Generally I only stand a couple days of the season, mostly I wunt on small trips with guys, so it is not needed.
Keeping a handwarmer on the back of the neck with a hoodie keeps the head warm. If your neck is cold, it shuts down the blood flow to the extremities.
I saw rechargable hand warmers on amazon, but seemed they had lots of failures, and lasted 50% of the spec. Looked like china junk.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Alpaca wool boot liners and socks. Spray antiperspirant on the feet as well....prevent cold and clammy feet. Take extra socks with you and change once stationary to get rid of the dampness.

Merino wool gloves, hand warmers, and an insulated muff. put 3-4 of those chemical warmers in there or get the Jon-e type or even the newer rechargeable.

Lastly, the core body temp dictates the extremities' warmth...make sure you have a good, warm vest/coat to keep up. It is easy to feel warm, but not be warm enough for good blood flow to the outer digits.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bowhunter7259
Was hoping some hunters on here has had some luck. Due to a Health Issue my Hands/feet are getting extremely cold now. has anyone had any good luck with heated socks/gloves that have worked and performed well? Ive tried hand warmers and so on but they just don't cut it. Thanks in Advance.
Feet is an easy fix. Artic shield boot protectors if youre going to be sitting. These things work like a charm. The key to these are putting them on as soon as you get to stand. They arent designed to warm your feet. They are designed to hold your body heat in, so waiting until your feet get cold wont work. I use them and they have been a game changer for me. I wear uninsulated or at best, 400 gram boots now and we see temps in the negatives here

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nebraska
As for hands, a nice muff with light or no gloves works well.

Something like this usually does the trick....
Tractor Supply hand muff
For sitting a muff with something like a Joni warmer works great. I inherited one from my dad who was an avid cold weather fisherman. I've hardly used it as we don't use stands for mule deer or elk and hiking with a muff is a PIA.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve already tried the suggestion above. Literally just looking for battery options.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Look at items marketed at motor cycleists. I researched this subject a bit and for serious warmth in wind & cold these items seemed tops. They require a serious battery pack not D cells but the return is probably worth it in cases like yours. There are not only hand and feet options but torso choices as well. Just an aside, it’s impressive the benefit of a packet type toe or hand warmer inside your hat.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Bowhunter7259
I’ve already tried the suggestion above. Literally just looking for battery options.

If that is true, some battery gizmo isn't gonna do you much good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my wife some ski mittens with a built in zippered hand warmer pocket and we slide rechargeable (Thermacell Heatpacks) warmers in before she goes out on cold days.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
https://www.popsci.com/gear/best-heated-gloves/

Might give you a few ideas. Sounds like most are getting 6-8 hours use, plenty for an average morning or evening sit in the stand.

Finding socks comfortable enough to walk very far in, might be more difficult. If hard to find, it might be worthwhile to bring along some boots that are easy to slip on/off, and put on the electric socks once you get there.

Some folks here can make fun/joke, but there is a condition known as Raynaud’s, that makes folks have EXTREMELY painful reactions in the hands/feet, when they get cold. As good as the lithium batteries are these days, there’s no reason why some should suffer, when a $100 pair of gloves, and a $50-$100 pair of socks, can be a game changer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have you thought about stick on hot packs upstream of your hands /feet? Warm blood>warm extremities.. Maybe stuck to your forearms/and above knees? divers stick them over their kidneys in cold water...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Guys, there’s plenty of “heated” gear out there, now, that will run off a $20 battery pack you can buy at Best Buy, or you can run for days off of the 1-2 pound “jump start battery packs” that you can get on Amazon for $75 or less. Dewalt/Milwaukee makes heated jackets that run off their battery packs. The old “handwarmer packs” are 1980’s technology.

Might be great if you’re truly in the boonies, but if you’re only a mile or two from the house/truck, you can charge these battery packs hundreds of times, and the heat distribution is way better than a handwarmer pack will deliver.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try looking at motorcycle gear. I know that a lot of riders use heated gear.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a pair of heated gloves I bought about 12 years ago. Bought some for son too. Game changer when you are out exposed on a point glassing all day from sunup to sundown.

Don't recall who made them, but they were made for Cabellas by a then well known maker of battery powered motorcycle riding gear. I'm sure there has probably been significant improvements in the last 10 years as well.

My issue is I've got large hands. Even most XL gloves fit quite snug. When they are that snug, they don't do so well. Have tried many different gloves and even mittens (hate them), and none worked well. And my hands get painful being out with binos all day. The heated gloves take enough of the edge off to keep it bearable.

Second the jump start battery pack deal for all day heat. Tossed in the pack, and set for the day.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.