Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I started off with a 243. I believe if you put a big game 6mm bullet through the ribcage that deer will die before it runs a 1/4 mile. The problem is some of them do and some of the blood trails will be dripping spots far apart. I killed 30 something deer with.mine and only lost 1 I thought I hit. Never found blood and he was a brute. I moved on to bigger bullets with no regrets. I wouldn't use one for deer hunting unless it was my only option. I realize other people feel otherwise. I would rather have a millisecond of recoil than spend a long time tracking and dragging.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One weekends work with a .243, all DRT 1 did go about 10 yards backwards, I've posted this picture before, I've never had any trouble killing deer with a .243, I am not a fan of blood trails. Rio7

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RIO7

One weekends work with a .243, all DRT 1 did go about 10 yards backwards, I've posted this picture before, I've never had any trouble killing deer with a .243, I am not a fan of blood trails. Rio7

Bullet of choice?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I try and shoot for the neck. Always drop right there. It doesn't matter what I shoot them with either. I shoot .308, .30-06, 8mm, and .50 MZ. I have some steep hills around my hunting area. Don't want one to run very far.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
When you hunt them afoot in the woods like I do, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

LMAO

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods like I do, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

That and a 40 yard death dash into a tangled hell of underbrush 25 minutes after sunset can make for a deer that's nigh impossible to find.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve never seen a deer “run” with both shoulders broken more than a few feet… and that just hindquarters-driven plowing ahead. Are you losing deer or just having to find them? If, up to recently, they’ve been dropping in their tracks and now they’re not it says to me you’ve been breaking shoulders or spine and now you’re not. Have you been examining the bullet path after gutting and skinning them? As someone mentioned above, often well-hit deer don’t leave much blood trail, there are a lot of factors involved in whether or not you get a good blood trail.

The boys have always had deer run after being shot with 243 very few dropped in their tracks.

We have both been losing deer and having trouble finding deer. Last year my youngest shot a big mule headed doe at about 140 yards. I was watching through my 10x Swaros and seen the bullet her. The doe ran 100-120 yards and we never found a drop of blood. The bullet hit just behind the shoulder slightly below center of her chest.
How far behind the shoulder? Get much over 3" and you're getting into liver only territory. Straight up the leg bottom 1/3 centers the lungs much better.

When I shoot for heart/lung I try for that. If they are behaving and under 100 give me a high forward shoulder/neck shot for instant kills.

Literally almost touching the shoulder (1/2 to one inch) behind the shoulder.

If they were blowing legs off, gut shooting or shooting them in the azz it’s not the bullets fault.

I can’t figure it out why the poor performance unless it’s simply bad luck. Nosler nots going to put thousands of partition seconds out that are no good. Can you imagine hundreds of unhappy people posting on the net.

I would expect better blood trails from a 22 WMR than what we have been getting.

That sounds like a lung hit and no big bones or spine broken. I would expect that deer to run 100 yards or so. That high I wouldn’t expect much blood trail with anything.

Yup. OTOH, I shot a doe through the heart with a 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter that simply shredded it and the other stuff, didn’t exit, and left little bullet bits scattered in the chest. She went maybe 100 feet, leaking blood the whole way. That won’t, can’t happen really, with a hit higher up, exit or no, except maybe for some spray on the offside, unless the exit hole is pretty large IME. That PH really crushed that doe, but I’m glad she was broadside. The last one I shot with a .270, in 2011, was with a 130gr Interlok, and it was half-way up, knocked hair off the far side of the chest but didn’t exit, and that buck left not a single drop of blood on the ground. Until I found the hair, I was convinced I’d missed.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Deer are not supposed to run off after getting shot. I'll never understand why it's so hard, the bullet goes where the + is when you pull the trigger. It's not the caliber, it's not the bullet, it's the shooter.
I've came to the conclusion that some people are just damn lucky to kill a deer, he'll some can't even shoot a target very well.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods like I do, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.

That and a 40 yard death dash into a tangled hell of underbrush 25 minutes after sunset can make for a deer that's nigh impossible to find.

I'd put my money on RIO even though Blackheart "hunts them afoot." laugh

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Says something about Rio’s marksmanship and where he hits’em. I’ve seen chest shot WT’s run that far hit with a 26 Nosler. Chest shooting to save meat is OK, if you’re not in a thicket. In that setting, better nail’em so you can find them, worry about meat loss later.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Says something about Rio’s marksmanship and where he hits’em. I’ve seen chest shot WT’s run that far hit with a 26 Nosler. Chest shooting to save meat is OK, if you’re not in a thicket. In that setting, better nail’em so you can find them, worry about meat loss later.

DF
You shoot them where there's a clear path for your bullet that will go through something vital. You can't shoot them in the neck if there's a tree between you and it. Lung shot deer will usually run aways no matter what you shoot them with. We don't all sit on our asses in a stand, shooting house or blind and shoot at unobstructed deer over a feeder, food plot, field or shooting lane.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Jack rabbits ? LOL. I don't see many lung shots there. When you hunt them afoot in the woods, you often don't get to put your bullet where you might choose and from the angle you'd prefer but rather you put it in the spot that is clear of obstruction from the angle that's offered.
Jackrabbits? The Yankees call deer German shepherds around here. And they'll shoot your dog as a deer if one runs by them. DFY's

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Jackrabbits? The Yankees call deer German shepherds around here. And they'll shoot your dog as a deer if one runs by them. DFY's
They look like fawns from here.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The last big buck I killed with my 243 already had 3 100 gn core lokts in him when I shot him in the neck. He laid down and got back up. 5 th bullet under the ear turned him off and I never used the rifle again.
The year before I killed a big buck with it and put 2 through the.ribs and one in the jaw running. He went a 1/4 mile into a bad place to drag one from.
I use bigger bullets now and don't have that problem any more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a single issue with the .243 here. Piles of whitetail and a fair number of black bear. It was my main cartridge for years, and still carry one quite often now. Wife uses it exclusively, several of my hunting buddies use one, and it gets the nod when we take new hunters.

Most kills either with 105 Amax or 95 NBT. Have saw a ton drop with various 100 gr factory offerings as well. Have one buddy who uses 55 grain BTs and loves them. Says they’re the best bullet he’s used for neck shots.

Whatever issue you have, it’s not the cartridge. Scratching my head as well about bullet issues, if they are breaking both shoulders like you stated in your post.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

This is why, since moving to the Low Country, I tend to do my late watch from an elevated stand, use a caliber that makes a big hole, and shoot to destroy the running gear. My first deer down here, I did my normal clean, in the crease, heart -lung shot with a moderate caliber and got the usual 50-60 years run…right into the tangled underbrush. We found the deer but I don’t want to do that again, in the dark, warm weather.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Boys drop whitetails DRT with the 243 95 grain Ballistic Tips. Never and issue.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The last big buck I killed with my 243 already had 3 100 gn core lokts in him when I shot him in the neck. He laid down and got back up. 5 th bullet under the ear turned him off and I never used the rifle again.
The year before I killed a big buck with it and put 2 through the.ribs and one in the jaw running. He went a 1/4 mile into a bad place to drag one from.
I use bigger bullets now and don't have that problem any more.
I had a problem with one big buck and the 243. It took five shots to kill him. But the first four were shiit shots, hitting in the margins, rather than good vitals hits. They only served to amp his adrenaline.

Again, it's the Indian far more than it's the arrow. Animals don't die because of headstamps. Thinking a cartridge is to blame is irrational. All you've done is create a superstition around little marks on a piece of brass causing (or not causing) an animal's death.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Another 243 fan here, I've never had an issue. I've used the 80 GMX, 80 TTSX, 105 HPBT and 95 NBT. A friend has killed an absolute pile of deer with the 100gr Federal Blue Box and 95gr Fusion. We hit them in the important parts in the front end, I'm a shoulder breaker, and we've never had an issue. I've actually never recovered a bullet from my 243's as all have passed through. I'm a thick woods hunter so I take whatever angle I have in order to get to the vitals.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 358wsm, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.