Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why does there have to be an economy rifle. Why are folks so averse to spending good money on quality products?

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JMR40
Those were good rifles in their day, but they were discontinued because something better came along. If I had a Marlin X gun, a 788, or a TC in the safe I'd use it, but can't think of a good reason to buy one when for the same money or less I can do better.

Stevens 200s are so expensive when you find them, might as well buy a used Savage 10/110

The 200 is a Savage 110 with a different color stock.

The Marlin X guns were discontinued because Freedom Group bought Marlin and chose not to continue making them as competition against their existing line of entry level Remingtons.

The T-C were discontinued because S&W bought T-C and chose to discontinue the entire T-C line.

I don't know why Remington discontinued the 788s, but Remington is well known for making poor choices.

What would you buy that is better for equal or less money?
Because Remington itself was discontinued

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Why does there have to be an economy rifle. Why are folks so averse to spending good money on quality products?

Because you can get a light, accurate rifle for not a lot of money. And they're reliable

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

Because you can get a light, accurate rifle for not a lot of money. And they're reliable
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm missing my Stevens 200 22-250. I sold it to a buddy that needed a good yote rifle. That rifle has one of the best barrels I've seen on a rifle. "Economy" or not..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I could point you to a dozen examples of "quality products" that cost "good money" that were fuucking pieces of shiit. And that's just in the realm of hunting rifles. Throwing money at something doesn't equal making it better.

That said, there's the idea that a lot of people don't want or need something expensive, just so they can say they got "quality."

In other words, economy is not at odds with quality. The most expensive rifle in this house doesn't feed for shiit, and the safety is really sticky. It's sure accurate though. The cheapest rifle in this house feeds just fine, and the safety works just fine. And it sure is accurate. There is a factor of 7 in the price differential between these two rifles, and they are both chambered in the same cartridge.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
Marlin XR-7(correct me if I am wrong, the original Marlin X series)
Winchester Model 70 Ranger or the 670
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those were good rifles in their day, but they were discontinued because something better came along. If I had a Marlin X gun, a 788, or a TC in the safe I'd use it, but can't think of a good reason to buy one when for the same money or less I can do better.

Stevens 200s are so expensive when you find them, might as well buy a used Savage 10/110

The Marlin X guns were discontinued because Freedom Group bought Marlin and chose not to continue making them as competition against their existing line of entry level Remingtons.

The T-C were discontinued because S&W bought T-C and chose to discontinue the entire T-C line.

I don't know why Remington discontinued the 788s, but Remington is well known for making poor choices.

What does that mean?

Freedom Group discontinued the Marlin X guns long before Remington failed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Darryle
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

The Marlin RL7 was a totally different rifle design, sort of the hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Winchester 70.

The Marlin XL7 and XS7 are a hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Savage 110. The X guns have the same kind of floating bolt head and barrel nut that makes setting the headspace easy. Plus they use the same barrel thread pitch and tenon diameter as the small shank Savage 110 series rifles, so installing Savage 110 specs barrels is quite easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What does that mean?

Freedom Group discontinued the Marlin X guns long before Remington failed.
Because I missed where he said "Remington 788" and I read it as "783". The 783 ended when Remington ended. But that wasn't what he was talking about

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

The Marlin RL7 was a totally different rifle design, sort of the hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Winchester 70.

The Marlin XL7 and XS7 are a hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Savage 110. The X guns have the same kind of floating bolt head and barrel nut that makes setting the headspace easy. Plus they use the same barrel thread pitch and tenon diameter as the small shank Savage 110 series rifles, so installing Savage 110 specs barrels is quite easy.

Marlin MR-7

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been accused of being "cheap" I personally prefer "thrifty" but you get the idea....
I must say I love me some Savage 10, 110, etc... Stevens 200... love them all. Have stacks of barrels and am constantly swapping parts about... fun stuff
I have learned they shoot, really well and currently all my long range guns are Savages, they do have custom barrels, stocks etc.... but they just work, are cheap and fun.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

Marlin MR-7

You're right, MR-7, not RL-7, I realized that about 30 seconds after I pushed Post Reply.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Marlin MR-7

That is it, I had one in all 5 calibers, 25'06, 270, 280, 308 and 30'06, actually 2 of the 25'06 versions.

I paid $288 + tax back in the late 90s, I'd donate someone's left testicle for a NIB one today.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JC Higgins models 50 and 51. Remington 78, Winchester 70 Ranger, I usually buy them off the used racks if they are priced right.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A pre-64 Model 70...

Heh, don't look at me funny, it's fits the description...

But they really should come back with lh models, that they never had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MOST for the least,as Killing Rifles go? Hint.

Barrett Fieldcraft S/A's...nothing else is in the same fhuqking realm. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
To

I think that people want to have a rifle and not be afraid to scratch it up a little. Many people that I meet will buy or inherit an expensive gun and set it in a safe and never hunt it or even shoot it. I buy them to use, and I’m always looking for an honest ‘meat gun’. Oftentimes when a lower priced model develops a reputation for above average performance, people naturally flock to it. They want a rifle to beat on and abuse and not feel like it’s ruined if a scratch or rust appears.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.

Mine had as good a trigger as you could ask for in a factory rifle.......probably a little pull heavy, but crisp....no creep.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.