Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In response to Goatgruff:

I personally am not a fan of plural marriage and couldn't imagine having to live that way. I've got ancestors that were polygamist and because both my father and grandfather left the church all the old records, books and diaries were passed onto me at an early age because I was the only active member in my family when I started going to church at age 17.

I've read quite a bit over the years including the diary of my Great Great Great Grandpa Parly P Pratt and other polygamist relatives. Its interesting to read the real time perspectives of those in the middle of it. There was a lot of reluctance and all kinds of emotion they wrestled with. It was a difficult lifestyle. I know it's come back and went away again at different times throughout history. I'm content with my 1 wife and 3 kids and couldn't imagine what it would take to be involved with more than that.

That's my opinion from a practical and personal angle. From a theological angle I've found answers for myself that helped me understand why it sometimes happens. That's a whole nother novel.

I'm not sure live in line enough to called into polygamy if it did come back. I was worried a few years ago I was going to get called into a pretty big calling and I seriously considered taking a 6 pack to the interview so they'd find someone else and i hadnt had a beer since high school. So I'm not qualified to speak for the church I just put opinion out as an average struggler member.

I also know Kody from Sister wives. He used to come sit at my table at the Salt Lake gunshow and talk with me and my friend Brian for hours. This was before he even had the show. He always gave me crap because I wasn't married yet and one day Brian said don't worry about Kody, hes just big on marriage because he's a polygamist.

I don't really know Kody well anymore but Brian moved to Vegas when he did and became business partners with him. Brain talks to him or is on business with him every week and calls me maybe everyother week to catch up. I get the inside scope on that situation quite often and can say that it sounds like a rough drama filled life.

I've only seen part of his show once because Brian told me he was in an episode so I checked it out. Whenever it comes up in conversation it usually ends with something like aren't you so glad we only have 1 wife each, I couldn't do what Cody does. The other day Brian and I were talking about it a bit andi told him I'll always choose one 8 over 4 twos. He laughed and said I'm telling Kody you said that.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/15/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bb, that was a good explanation, thanks for typing it out.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints. I was very surprised to see that headline when I clicked into this thread

From the article:

“ The nearly 17-million member, Utah-based faith said in a statement that church doctrine would continue to consider same-sex relationships to be against God's commandments. Yet it said it would support rights for same-sex couples as long as they didn't infringe upon religious groups' right to believe as they choose.”

Like BB explained, the LDS church teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman. This is an attempt to support individual legal rights so that church members can also legally retain their rights.

And I know polygamy is a sensational topic, but the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints has been excommunicating anyone who practices it for over 100 years. The people who are polygamists are completely broken off and just saying they are still members.

Last edited by IDMilton; 11/15/22.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some organizations construct a rigid hierarchy of authorities and restrictive rules, insist that members obey and comply, and run a very organized system of expectations for donations and service to that system. Usually there is curiosity, and even cynicism, about unique features of such organizations. So, the organizations tend to generate standard answers and responses to difficult and sometimes complex inquiries - particularly those inquiries that might reveal inconsistencies or weaknesses in actual adherence to espoused principles.

The bigger and more widespread/complex the organization, the more difficult it will be to deal with the inconsistencies and outside forces. As time and events pass, the tendency often is to compromise on espoused foundational principles in order to somehow manage an acceptable fit with growth of membership as well as the surrounding cultures, and to maintain semblance of self-control.

The growing power and prominence of the organization, in combination with the inevitability of gradualness, can make success more and more elusive - particularly if it is a religious based organization wanting to maintain exemptions on that basis.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Is church for sinners or the sinless?

Welcome people to hear the Word or keep the from it?

You can decide. You can decide if you choose to deny the Word to those who sin. You can decide which sinners are "worthy" of hearing the Word. I'll let you argue whether the Church of JC of LDS has the true Word or not. I'm in no position to judge that. And while I find the physical act of male sodomy most revolting, I am reminded of John 7:53, 8-11.

Gays would be 100% welcome in our church, by most.
However, they won't like the sermons.
Sometimes I don't like them.
If you always do you aren't listening, or the preacher ain't preaching.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What’s wrong with sodomy?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did Macoroni Maroni redefine “marriage” ?

Its God’s word !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just my little thoughts, and I don't know if it fits.
Jesus ate, and drank with sinners, but He did not sin with them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've worked with guys in that part of the country that were members of LDS.
They were glad to be helping others and there was synergy in their groups.
A coworker was heavily involved in the church and a good man.

Not sure this is going to go over well with those types in the church. Hopefully they'll have the balls and the means to walk away. I hate seeing good people getting sucked into commercial religion.

Last edited by Distridr; 11/16/22.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The mormons are not christians, they do not study the bible, and its not surprising that they bow down to those with mental illness.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by asheepdog
The mormons are not christians, they do not study the bible, and its not surprising that they bow down to those with mental illness.
This.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just wait until a cake is demanded.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Your understanding of our church leaves much to be desired.

Be not weary in well doing.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by denton

Your understanding of our church leaves much to be desired.

My experience with them, and I have had a lot, my father is morman and that whole side of the family....It is the most disfunctional, unfaithful, narcissist/selfish, whoa is me, drug addled, mental disordered mess you've ever seen or heard of. I have not had the experience with Mormans that you and others portray. I'm not judging, just going by my experience with them. Yes, I know baptist, catholics, etc with issues....but I've never seen it at the level as I have with Mormans. My mother cries everyday from her choice of marrying a morman and taking his family on, and I resent him and his parents, sisters, nieces, and nephews for it. Her father warned her, but she didn't listen, her only way to get through it is that she claims she wouldnt have had me if she didn't marry him.

Last edited by killerv; 11/16/22.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Raferman
Who would've thought Tarqueen is an expert on butt sex.
You're red face contributions to this forum are worthless.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Raferman
Who would've thought Tarqueen is an expert on butt sex.
You're red face contributions to this forum are worthless.
LOL

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Bb, that was a good explanation, thanks for typing it out.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints. I was very surprised to see that headline when I clicked into this thread

From the article:

“ The nearly 17-million member, Utah-based faith said in a statement that church doctrine would continue to consider same-sex relationships to be against God's commandments. Yet it said it would support rights for same-sex couples as long as they didn't infringe upon religious groups' right to believe as they choose.”

Like BB explained, the LDS church teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman. This is an attempt to support individual legal rights so that church members can also legally retain their rights.

And I know polygamy is a sensational topic, but the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints has been excommunicating anyone who practices it for over 100 years. The people who are polygamists are completely broken off and just saying they are still members.
Religious rights will not be preserved. It is a gradual erosion. Stupid people go along to get along.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I always liked this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just my little thoughts, and I don't know if it fits.
Jesus ate, and drank with sinners, but He did not sin with them.
He condemned sin in no uncertain terms. He loudly condemned those who did not seek forgiveness. He did not hide in a pew and moan about phony tolerance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 15 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.