-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This year in CO elk season, I hiked in a few days with temps in the single digits with a slight breeze. I wore a sitka core lightweight next to skin, a patagonia r1 fleece (lightweight fleece), and a Kuiu 260. Despite walking 3 miles into the backcountry and a bit of climbing (~ 750 ft elevation), I wasn't as warm as I wanted to be when I arrived and started still hunting. I donned a puffy to warm up but after taking it off, was not as warm as I wanted for slowly moving around.

In the past, I've found the Jetstream/Guide jackets too much for still hunting, plus they are noisier than I prefer.

Which leaves me looking for an option to wear as an outer mid-layer to still hunt when the temps are on the colder side. I've looked at all the name brands and have been a bit underwhelmed with options in this category. Many "active insulation" pieces will be too warm (I've tried a few). I "think" I want a bit of wind resistance, a bit heavier fleece type material, and no real insulation.

The Sitka gradient hoody looks promising. Any comments on the Gradient? Other options to consider?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a similar issue recently. Wanted to just wear merino layers to keep sweat minimized in single digit efforts, but ended up needing an outer layer that could shed snow. So wore a mid layer under a kuiu guide jacket but it was still too warm, I was sweating like crazy and then ended up cold when slowing down.

I need to come up with another option.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I actually looked at the sitka gradient today. Not sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Kuiu Peloton 240 full zip with hoody since it was introduced. Wind resistant but not windproof. Breathes pretty well. I currently use a lightweight synthetic t-shirt as a base up top. Use combo lightweight core sitka long sleeve, Sitka heavyweight and Peloton hoody. Mix and match as conditions dictate. If I need more Wind protection I'll add the Jetstream over the top. Been working well for me. Just finished a 5 days of deer and pheasant hunting here in Western ND. It has been cold. Worked well for me.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of active mid-layers (my latest is Sitka Ambient hoody), but they just don't cut much wind- if they did they wouldn't be overly effective as a mid-layer moving moisture. I carry a 7 oz Black Diamond wind shirt to combat wind and light precip. I can wear it over just a base layer in warmer temps or over a mid-layer in colder temps.

The same jacket goes with me summer through winter, takes up no room in a pack and at 7 oz it's a no brainer for me.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/alpine-start-hoody-mens/

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I had a similar issue recently. Wanted to just wear merino layers to keep sweat minimized in single digit efforts, but ended up needing an outer layer that could shed snow. So wore a mid layer under a kuiu guide jacket but it was still too warm, I was sweating like crazy and then ended up cold when slowing down.

Merino sucks.

Synthetic. Synthetic. Synthetic.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
This year in CO elk season, I hiked in a few days with temps in the single digits with a slight breeze. I wore a sitka core lightweight next to skin, a patagonia r1 fleece (lightweight fleece), and a Kuiu 260. Despite walking 3 miles into the backcountry and a bit of climbing (~ 750 ft elevation), I wasn't as warm as I wanted to be when I arrived and started still hunting. I donned a puffy to warm up but after taking it off, was not as warm as I wanted for slowly moving around.

In the past, I've found the Jetstream/Guide jackets too much for still hunting, plus they are noisier than I prefer.

Which leaves me looking for an option to wear as an outer mid-layer to still hunt when the temps are on the colder side. I've looked at all the name brands and have been a bit underwhelmed with options in this category. Many "active insulation" pieces will be too warm (I've tried a few). I "think" I want a bit of wind resistance, a bit heavier fleece type material, and no real insulation.

The Sitka gradient hoody looks promising. Any comments on the Gradient? Other options to consider?

Thanks.

Jetstream and Guide jackets are not noisy.

But Patagonia Nano Air or Kuiu Kenai are going to be your best bets.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Merino sucks.

Agree 100%. I tried the merino next to skin thing and after getting sweated up on the hike in, ended in the same circumstance as TR. Switched to synthetic and haven't had that issue.

Just yesterday, hiked into my deer spot with the temp right at 20. Its 1.6 miles with about 700 foot climb in the last half mile. Wore my Sitka Lighweight, Patagonia R1, and Kuiu 240 for the hike in. Peeled off the 240 about half way in. Was sweating pretty good. When i arrived, put my puffy pants and jacket on, I was dry within an hour. The deal with synthetic, you need to have a system, meaning sweat needs to go somewhere. A system working in unison moves that moisture. I keep my phone in my Timberline pants front pocket. It will have moisture on the phone as it moves aways from your skin. The only downside is odor control - its getting better but doubt it will ever match merino in that aspect.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Merino sucks.

I don't have any problem with merino until I put a synthetic layer over. Then the breathability disappears.

I have a heavyweight sitka hoody. I guess I'll try that with guide jacket on top. I have a kuiu Kenai I could try too. Seems to heavy. Didn't have it with me last trip.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cabellas wooltimate half zip hoodie is excellent. Really warm, really qiuet, and a great neutral colored camo pattern. Plus no spark holes from the hunting fires that all the puffys, and synthetics get.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I'm a big fan of active mid-layers (my latest is Sitka Ambient hoody), but they just don't cut much wind- if they did they wouldn't be overly effective as a mid-layer moving moisture. I carry a 7 oz Black Diamond wind shirt to combat wind and light precip. I can wear it over just a base layer in warmer temps or over a mid-layer in colder temps.

The same jacket goes with me summer through winter, takes up no room in a pack and at 7 oz it's a no brainer for me.

Agree with your assessment of active mid-layers. I've tried several and anything over ~ 40 grams of insulation makes them way too warm for the hike in. After I slow down and start hunting, they work fine, for the hike in, not so much.

Checked out the BD Alpine - how would you compare the BD Alpine to a Kuiu 240 Peloton?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
You could wear a wind shirt (I carry a Wild Things windshirt sometimes), or you could go with a heavy fleece, or a soft shell with a wind blocker membrane.

My all time favorite wind blocking jacket was the old sitka jetstream lite, been looking for an orange one for years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Agree with your assessment of active mid-layers. I've tried several and anything over ~ 40 grams of insulation makes them way too warm for the hike in. After I slow down and start hunting, they work fine, for the hike in, not so much.

Checked out the BD Alpine - how would you compare the BD Alpine to a Kuiu 240 Peloton?

Have never tried the 240, but appears to be a decent fleece mid-layer- guessing close to Sitka's Heavyweight Core, First Lite's Origin, Patagonia R-1, etc. Fleece (without a membrane) can block some wind, but typically not much. They do tend to breathe well though. The Alpine Start has no insulating features, but instead warms by keeping some heat in and wind/light precip out.

I'd think of those two pieces as more complimenting each other vs choosing one or the other.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Ordered one today.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Kuiu guide covers a lot of needs. Have a puffy compressed in the pack and lightweight (but good) rain gear. The rain gear will keep you dry and will block the wind when glassing

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone used the Code of Silence clothing?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.