T
Found this is some old pics today...

Bought this new off the showroom floor

Wagstaff Toyota in Salt Lake City.....1989

Last of the 2 door 4Runner's

Paid $13K sumthing OTD

There was an '89 Land Cruiser right next to it....$20K

I wanted the manual transmission......so........yes had the 3.0 Slow motor

This ole 4Runner has history with it....still on the road near Show Low AZ today

Prob pushing 300K miles

Gave it to my youngest daughter in 2002......

Pic.....Teton's in 1991 ish

Imgur will not show direct link ):

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nQWskgm.jpg?1[/img]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buddy bought an ‘87 in ‘90. Immediately lifted it and ran 33/12.50’s, installed a soft top. We ran the piss out of it in the mountains.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought an '88 4Runnner in the fall of '87. SR5 with a manual transmission and differential lock. Great truck and my son is still driving it. It's had a lot of dead animals in it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The 89' trucks came out with the new body style, the 4runners body style changed in 90' I think.
I bought a new X-tra cab 89' 4x4 DEE'LUXE , loved that truck, put about 90K on it in 5ish years. It didn't get good gas mileage and wasn't a powerhouse but was toyota dependable.
Drove it from Mississippi coast to San Angelo,TX. hunting 3 times.

I love that Gen. body style.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm driving a 92 with the 3.0. It's had the head gasket replaced already and works fine as my hunting truck. I put ARB air lockers front and back, 6" lift, Warn winch and ARB bumper, etc and it does great.

BUT, I got it stuck in a bad spot yesterday going up a steep mountainside and slid out on the slick mud. Had the back end slide sideways pointed out over the abyss. Had to winch it uphill and turn it then lower it back down 10 yards to the right of where I came up. Biggest challenge was a 20" log I had to jump over on that track going down backwards but had no choice, couldn't go back down the mudslide! Here's my baby. Last year of the wing windows!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All fun and games in Toyoda Land. grin

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/15/22.

LOL
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Roy,
I thought western Oregon was a tropical place?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We get some snow here Mike. Gotta go uphill but we got it. Blacktails migrate down and bears hibernate.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Roy,

ya need to throw a set or two of some chains in there, for moments like that...

I need to pick up a new set of mudders for my 4 Runner....and a set of cables for the Tacoma..

With gas prices my 4 Runner isn't seeing as much getting driven. Its been parked and off the road most of this year.

587,000 on the odometer...and was still running fine...

I need to take the time to raise the 4 Runner with a 1 inch lift on the front, and a 2.5 inch lift in the rear...

I think I am going to change out the injectors on mine also.. they are factory original from 1987...

Probably would increase my fuel mileage...

I'm getting too old to go up in the high country by myself and get into spots like you did in that picture.

The 4 Runner is up for it... Me, not so much anymore.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
still driving my '88 and no plans to get another. Woods, swamps, beach, mountains..........

Sam......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
still driving my '88 and no plans to get another. Woods, swamps, beach, mountains..........

Looks great for an '88

Florida it's entire life ?

I was a sprocket head when I had mine...thus the Yak bike rack

Many miles & trips in Utah & Colorado

I do remember the rear window being a PIA...popping off the track....etc

pic finally popped up with Imgur

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm driving a 92 with the 3.0. It's had the head gasket replaced already and works fine as my hunting truck. I put ARB air lockers front and back, 6" lift, Warn winch and ARB bumper, etc and it does great.

BUT, I got it stuck in a bad spot yesterday going up a steep mountainside and slid out on the slick mud. Had the back end slide sideways pointed out over the abyss. Had to winch it uphill and turn it then lower it back down 10 yards to the right of where I came up. Biggest challenge was a 20" log I had to jump over on that track going down backwards but had no choice, couldn't go back down the mudslide! Here's my baby. Last year of the wing windows!

All fun and games in Toyoda Land. grin

electric chainsaw!! I keep one in my truck all year long. handy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tesoro
electric chainsaw!! I keep one in my truck all year long. handy

Yessir, I keep an electric Stihl in the truck or on the atv, whatever I'm in or on. Used it to cut a bunch of wood to make a ramp over that 20" log. The photo of the snow is not where I got stuck on the mountainside.

LOL
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The gen 1s were cool. I stupidly sold my gen 2. Bought new off the floor from larry miller in SLC. Red, swing arm spare, manual 5 speed, locking diffs. Spent $26k out the door IFIRC. Ran it all over the west. Sometimes pulling an open cargo trailer full of camp gear, a polaris sportsman 500 or a yamaha 600 enduro, a dead elk and carrying moma and 2 sons. Good times. Sold it around 2005 with over 200k. One hell of a platform. No issues.

Saw it a few years later seriously modded and off roaded and generally beat to hell but still going.

Last edited by MtnHiker; 11/16/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an old 97 Discovery II. A real sleeper in the offroad world. And a super smooth ride to boot.
Of course I would be afraid to dog it like you could with an old Yota.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/16/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Toyota FTW …

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ole_270 (dad) bought this one in 88.

I got it in about 95, he had put 160k miles on it. I gave it back to him after high school and college with 260k+ miles on it in 2003. Sold it to a local and last we heard it was around 400k miles on it.

2 starters, carb rebuild, and a clutch master cylinder was the only non-routine maintenance we did to it up to 260k miles.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
ole_270 (dad) bought this one in 88.

I got it in about 95, he had put 160k miles on it. I gave it back to him after high school and college with 260k+ miles on it in 2003. Sold it to a local and last we heard it was around 400k miles on it.

2 starters, carb rebuild, and a clutch master cylinder was the only non-routine maintenance we did to it up to 260k miles.

I know I still have the sales receipt to mine......somewhere

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Half a dozen Land Cruisers (40 to 100 series), but never a 4-Runner.

Daughter does have a newer TRD 4Runner, but it is pavement only...so wasted capability.

Last edited by Tarbe; 11/16/22.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kim family -- parents James and Kati and children Penelope, 4, and Sabine, 7 months -- disappeared Nov. 25, 2006, as they drove to Gold Beach from Merlin, just north of Grants Pass off Interstate 5. Kati Kim, 30, and her daughters were found Dec. 4 with the car after being stuck in the snow for nine days with few supplies. James Kim, 35, was found dead two days later in a creek. He had walked more than 16 miles in the cold and snow in a futile effort to get help.

Earlier that year, I hunted that wrong turn intersection with Seafire.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tikkanut {quote]Looks great for an '88

Florida it's entire life ?

I was a sprocket head when I had mine...thus the Yak bike rack

Many miles & trips in Utah & Colorado

I do remember the rear window being a PIA...popping off the track....etc[/quote]

Originally bought right here in town. I knew the first owner and the second. I am the third. I bought it in 2006. I did have to replace the rear window mechanism. The only really PITA with this 'yota is that switches and parts are getting darn hard to source. Mine has around 400K miles. It ran two years with no odometer hooked up when my Son owned it. Under the skin, there are many new parts. This year alone I replaced the starter, Mass Air Flow sensor, all three drive shafts, the front hubs and spindles, the shocks.............

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.