-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one of the 1916 Spanish Mausers in .308. I've killed a lot of deer with it but, am probably gonna use it for a .45acp build.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A guy who was moving to Arizona gave me a Mauser 93. It had been bubba-d pretty badly but was mechanically ok. the receiver ring and the bolt had been ported.

Showed it to a friend of mine who had sporterized some 98s and a 95. He told me that the Spaniard could be sporterized and made into a decent deer hunting rifle for how i hunt in Minnesota. Also reminded me that i would never get back the $$$ i spent on it. He also claimed that 'even someone with your limited mechanical skills should be able to do that'. he is right.... i do have limited skills and experience.

this was a retired guy project, so i didnt worry about the cost.

At the end, the 93 had a new barrel, new stock, new trigger, and was finished with GunKote. Only the finish was applied by a gunsmith. The rifle is still 7 x 57. Of course it has a scope on it.

I had a fine time doing the rest of the work, along with help from the above friend. the rifle looks pretty good.

I reload my own, but use only mild loads on this rifle. Have tried 140, 150, and 165 grain bullets. The best hunting load turned out to be 150 grain Partitions pushed by a mild load of [apparently extinct] IMR4320. Would shoot about 1 MOA when i was any good. We measured the velocity of that load with a Chrony at about 2500 fps. Which is the same velocity we measured on the load i use for my Savage 99 in 300.

Along the way i gained a large respect the 7 x 57 which must be one of the great cartridges ever. Especially in modern rifles.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
RC Flash: Where did you find a stock? Mine's on the way, just a barrelled action.
Thanks

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I bought a bunch of pre-1898 small ring Mauser receivers dirt cheap (no paper trail) and built a welding jig to TIG weld them back together after shortening the action length, bolt body, and firing pin about 3/4". I make .223 bolt actions out of them, and whittle out stock blanks to fit the shortened receiver and magazine/trigger guard. The smaller cartridge head diameter and a new barrel keeps the thrust on the bolt within safe limits. The bolts get converted to "cock on open" configuration and I use a Timney trigger.

Even shorter for .221 Fireball would be neater still?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I ordered a stock directly from Boyd's in South Dakota.
This was about 10 years ago. i called there and asked [1] would that stock be a close fit for a 93. [2] Would their trigger fit a 93. "Yes' to both.

Of course i had to move some wood to fit the action. But not a lot.

The stock was not a fancy choice, and i had to finish it myself.

All this worked out OK for a guy with limited mechanical skills.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Richards Microfit if still around does a great job. I used them on a 42, a 98, and two Tikka target rifles. Lots of variety. Midway or whoever used to have cheap plastic ones as well.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Regards:
Originally the Ludwig Lowe/Mauser factory in Oberndorf contracted for the Spanish issued Mauser. In (IIRC) 1896 rights for production were awarded to the Cataluna armory where heat treatment was a known problem. Production of the 93 at the Oberndorf facility ceased in 1899. The Oberndorf rifles largely fall into the antique firearms category and actions are of good quality. If sensibly loaded the Oberndorf actions can be used with confidence.

Purchased for cheap at a flea market in the early '70's, an Oberndorf made '93 hung on nails in an outbuilding for 40+ years. Sent to Shaw barrels and rebarreled to 6.5x55. 1 in 9 twist. Action trued and headspaced. Turned down bolt handle, modified safety and Timney trigger. Bottom metal switched to a 96 Swede hinged floor plate. Topped off with a Sightron Big Sky 4-16x42 AO it'll hold 1 to 1-1/4" @ 100 yds. With a 20" varmint taper barrel and finished with a walnut 90% inlet stock.

Not the best, debateably not the worst choice. Modestly charged with VV150 and 140gr V-Max, it's a light recoil "because it was there" project rifle. Shooting it makes me smile.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A M1916 was the first centerfire I bought with my own money. $15 in 1967 which should give you an idea of its condition. (I turned around and bought a M1896 Krag carbine, a real cavalry carbine, like, a month or so later for $40. As a 14 year old kid I had to do that one on the lay-away plan. The darned Mauser had sucked up most of my disposable income.)

Load development, such as it was, centered on the Krag which I did most of my hunting with that first hunting season of mine. (1967= a county-wide only Maryland youth license back then was all of $1.50!!) After the season was over I attacked that 1916 Mauser with saws, rasps, files and sandpaper. The barreled action was (ineptly) hand polished and the LGS blued it for me at no charge. My Gramps turned the steps out of the barrel in his lathe and made it a nice wispy straight taper. A cheap-ass Bushnell 3-9x topped it off, in Weaver rings - which brought forth the startling realization that I had to doctor the bolt handle and install a low-swing safety. The upshot of all that work was a rifle that didn't shoot worth squat. I don't know if it was the "barrel work", the lack of bedding, or the virtually nonexistent rifling - or me - but the thing would drill the first shot darned near dead center and then start walking the shots at a rate of about 2" per shot. I persevered and hunted with it, and shot a doe the next year (with Barnes original heavy copper/soft lead bullets, hah!!), but it got shoved into the background as other rifles started to accumulate, and eventually languished completely.

As sad as that POS was, I kinda wish I had it back now.

Same here! Bought an 1893 mauser from Monkey Ward for $19.95, 1967, 15 years old, 9th grade. The rifle was in excellent shape, 29" bbl. Had the barrel shortened, Lyman 57 peep sight and ramp and front sight. Guided by the Williams Gun site book on sporterizing military weapons. Did the stock work myself. Wish I still had it too!

Old guy, old guns.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wonder what the Brits thought of the Model 1893/1895 Mauser chambered for the 7x57 cartridge in the Boer War?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Spaniards shot us up pretty good with the 93s in Cuba.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 03/01/23.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.