-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
I stumbled across this thread on a random internet search and it describes exactly the question I am trying to answer right now... Pops passed a few years ago and left me a Ruger LCR 38 Special +P and I am looking for a self defense round for it... this YT vid by Paul Harrell concludes that if you are using standard pressure loads then the wadcutter or semi-wadcutter is the way to go instead of a JHP (like a Hornady XTP), here is part 3 is his video series on the topic:

If you are a reloader, and a bullet caster, NOE makes what I think is the perfect bullet for .38 Special self-defense loads, 148 grain hollow base wadcutter (can be loaded upside down as a hollow point, or not):

NOE 360-148-WC

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Because of this thread I ordered the mold and plan to make this my self defense bullet for the LCR. Ran it through QL and looks like I will start with 3.2 grains of W231 which will hopefully give a mild recoil load at around 525 fps, and see what happens. I'll cast the bullet with soft lead and powder coat, and resize to 0.358.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RufusDawes
I stumbled across this thread on a random internet search and it describes exactly the question I am trying to answer right now... Pops passed a few years ago and left me a Ruger LCR 38 Special +P and I am looking for a self defense round for it... this YT vid by Paul Harrell concludes that if you are using standard pressure loads then the wadcutter or semi-wadcutter is the way to go instead of a JHP (like a Hornady XTP), here is part 3 is his video series on the topic:

If you are a reloader, and a bullet caster, NOE makes what I think is the perfect bullet for .38 Special self-defense loads, 148 grain hollow base wadcutter (can be loaded upside down as a hollow point, or not):

NOE 360-148-WC

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Because of this thread I ordered the mold and plan to make this my self defense bullet for the LCR. Ran it through QL and looks like I will start with 3.2 grains of W231 which will hopefully give a mild recoil load at around 525 fps, and see what happens. I'll cast the bullet with soft lead and powder coat, and resize to 0.358.

Thanks so much Mr. Dawes and welcome to the "Fire". Great place for the info ya need! Appreciate ya taken the time and effort to join and post this. Turns out I had seen Mr. Harrell's video's in my searches also. Also turns out I had given my friend and his wife some 148 WC's that I used to use for target practice in my 686+. They were pussycat loads and were very easy to shoot well in a full sized gun (bet they would be in a pocket pistol also)! Can't remember what exactly the load was but it was somewhere between 3 & 5 grains of 231. Gotta get some more for the friend and my family to play with and decide if that's what they want to carry. I know my family and my friend and his wife were counting on me to do the footwork for them so to speak but after consideration I decided ANYONE's carry load they will have to decide on themselves! I'll just give em a few different JHP carry loads and some hardcast to try out and let them decide. Couldn't stand if a load I chose didn't do the job and the wrong person went down!

Thanks again and have a great Turkey day!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by memtb
With the potential for multiple layers of heavy clothing…..go with hard cast, wide metplat bullets. If you can find some, or have someone cast them for you…..a hard, 148 grain wad cutter would do quite nicely for defense! memtb

It's a good idea but I don't think they really need to be too hard at 38 speeds. I just cast a bunch of 147 wadcutters and powder coated them and I used 4 pounds of wheel weights to 1 pound of monotype. I'm guessing they are around 15bhn and that's a bit harder than I'd really even like. I just ordered a few hundred pounds of a bit softer allot that supposed to be around 10bhn. I'm betting it'll be great at about 850 fps from short 38s. I'll jug test some in the spring and see if either one expands at all. The only downside is the totally flat fronts are a bit harder to speed load quickly. I usually keep the gun loaded with the flat stuff and carry a speed loader with something easier to line up like 125g golden sabers or 158g swaged lead hpswc.

Bb

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I’m shooting wadcutters out of my 38 special LCR. No complaints. I find my ammo on the ammoseek website.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I carry DEWC's in the cylinder and SWC for reloads, because wadcutters suck for any kind for reloading speed.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have to go along with the recommendations to get a hold of Mackay Sagebrush. I’ve been pleased with the ammo I’ve got from him. Good guy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.