If you want the best I agree......

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have lotsa hand priming tools,but the last thing I'd use is a "system" where I had to finger fhuqk each and every primer individually. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Lee units are fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..............

You took the words right out of my mouth....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by JPro

+1 on this one

Make that +2, although I do have a couple of RCBS Hand Primer tools at the ready if needed.

I must admit, the reviews on the Franklin are hard to ignore.

Looking at the Frankfort Arsenal inventory at the local Bass Pro Shop everything appears cheap looking to me.....a friend has one of their co axe loading presses a few years old and it is a piece of crap.

Not sure I would trust any reviews on their junk.

S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
21st. Century is the absolute best hand primer. The quality is second to none. It is not inexpensive but quality never is.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks like the Cadillac of priming tools....I don't care for having to touch each primer.

Anyone tried one of these might be easier on the thumbs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101275795

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I had a Lee hand primer tool that gave unbelievable feel when priming cases by hand. After about 25 years, the casting broke and Lee does not offer replacement parts. I tried a RCBS bench primer and decided I prefer to prime by hand. My current primer is a POS Hornady which is not reliable, the primers can flip in the holder, and the small rifle primer piece already broke. I am fed up.

Who makes the best hand primer at this time?

I too have been using an old Lee hand primer, since the 80’s. The first one finally broke. I found some on E-bay cheap and bought three. I don’t think there’s anything better.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LFC
Looks like the Cadillac of priming tools....I don't care for having to touch each primer.

LFC, I replaced my Lee with the hornady. it is truly the biggest piece of handloading chit I ever bought. Poor design, primers flip easy inside the tray without you noticing and it sucks and is dangerous when primers get inserted backwards. The plastic part that attaches to the tool broke and is of a very poor design. It sucks.

I think I am going to buy the Franklin Armory one. Made in China, but seems to get the best reviews.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 11/19/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I liked the RCBS hand priming tool---whatever they're calling it these days. The Lee tool worked fine, but it was subject to wear and sometimes breakage and the strain on the thumb was not too much fun when priming large numbers of cases. The RCBS hand priming tool was better in every respect. I went to the RCBS bench mounted tool, though, because it's easier on the hands when they become a bit arthritic. I find that the bench mounted tool offers much better feel than I expected.

I've used an RCBS hand primer for 30 plus years...So Far, so good... I did buy 2 others over the years, so I don't have to change shell holders, and they are available for back up if one of them breaks on me for some reason...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have lotsa hand priming tools,but the last thing I'd use is a "system" where I had to finger fhuqk each and every primer individually. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Lee units are fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..............

Maid didn't make it in this week? smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The Sinclair hand primer is a quality tool.

Another vote for the Sinclair.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The Sinclair hand primer is a quality tool.

Another vote for the Sinclair.
I've had a Sinclair and it was a good one, far better than any of the cheaper mass produced hand priming tools. It's built of good material and made to last and no one complains about them or looks for parts. Same for the 21st Century.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by LFC

Its not for high volume loading but for 50 rds or less there is nothing in its class, l have rcbs lee and when new worked ok but things wear our quick my frankfort arms works ok but is big heavy and clunky , I use my Dillon xl650 for all my high volume loading!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LFC

Yes I have one & am not a fan. Mine is the older version that requires Hornady shell holders or that you open up the center hole in an RCBS or Lyman. Maybe the new ones are better, IDK. Also it just doesn't feel "right " when I use it. That's purely subjective I know.

Note that over 1/3 of the reviews on Midway are 1 star.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by LFC

Yes I have one & am not a fan. Mine is the older version that requires Hornady shell holders or that you open up the center hole in an RCBS or Lyman. Maybe the new ones are better, IDK. Also it just doesn't feel "right " when I use it. That's purely subjective I know.

Note that over 1/3 of the reviews on Midway are 1 star.

I think much of it is ergonomics. Its got to fit. And a little to do with how many cases you prime in one session.

With me, I rarely load more than 100 cartridges in one sitting. Generally, the cases are primed and waiting for me in an ammo box. I prime as a separate operation, on a different day. I don't have a need for fast priming or auto feed. Others may load considerably more or prefer auto feed.

There are members here who have problems gripping or squeezing the handles. The tool is the wrong fit and difficult to operate. Grip strength is a really factor for some people as well.

I think that's why the reviews vary considerably.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sjc
21st. Century is the absolute best hand primer. The quality is second to none. It is not inexpensive but quality never is.

You talked me into one.

I'd honestly never heard of one before this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by JPro

+1 on this one

Make that +2, although I do have a couple of RCBS Hand Primer tools at the ready if needed.

Yup got the RCBS uni also!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by bugs4
Originally Posted by lotech
21st Century
this is the absolute best

When I got home today from deer hunting my 21st Century hand primer was in the mail box. I’ve been handloading since about 1976 It takes a lot to impress me. Last time I was this impressed is when my high polish stainless steel Wilson shoulder bump/neck bushing die arrived.

I was so impressed when I opened it I had to try it out....not sure if it's going to help my groups any but no other priming tool is or could be precise as this one....what I really liked is it's easy on the hands.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by bugs4
Originally Posted by lotech
21st Century
this is the absolute best

When I got home today from deer hunting my 21st Century hand primer was in the mail box. I’ve been handloading since about 1976 It takes a lot to impress me. Last time I was this impressed is when my high polish stainless steel Wilson shoulder bump/neck bushing die arrived.

I was so impressed when I opened it I had to try it out....not sure if it's going to help my groups any but no other priming tool is or could be precise as this one....what I really liked is it's easy on the hands.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

They used to make one that would accept a Lee primer tray not sure why they quit making it!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Black Friday 20% off sale at 21st Century Inovations

https://21stcenturyinnovation.com/

Coupon code is BlkFri20

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for sharing that BF code. Just ordered their hand primer along with some other things, and got free shipping too. 👍

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.