[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Tasty. Coming in from fishing a few weeks ago the mate butchered one of our black fin and broke out a bottle of soy sauce. Maybe the trip, or the beer, but it was the best tuna I’ve ever had.

I didn't know you boys had blackfin that far north. Cool. Dragging surface lures?

Blackfin is good stuff, raw and cooked. We don't get them this far north, but the past couple of years I've caught a pile east coast of S FL. Never anything of any size, but they are tasty little bastards. My question is, did the mate have wasabi as well or was he half steppin' on deck?

wink

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Buffalo is a damn fine meat and that soup looks amazing.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
How does the anchovy paste help it?

Forgive my ignorance but that’s seems ‘off’ in flavor profile.

Au contraire, mon ami. I can't explain it, but with soups and stews and dishes that call for robust flavors, especially with red meats and ocean critters, I've found that anchovy paste brings it all together and out. I know you're a pro and I'm but a hack, but IMHE it's like adding a bit of quality bullion, especially with dishes I go light on the salt with. It acts as a flavor enhancer, or whatever. Like a Mediterranean MSG. YMMV, but it works for me.

I wondered about the anchovy but also realized most every thing you do enhances your dishes or activities. congrats on the Bison.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No Bison in the freezer here to work with but this thread did cause me to order a 12 pack of anchovies. So far have put them on pizza and a butter garlic Sause over pasta. I could have sworn my wife had said she thought they were terrible and just hadn't bought any in years....

Turns out I either "misremembered" or she changed her mind.... there is real competition for the last slice of pizza around here now cool.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tzone
Buffalo is a damn fine meat and that soup looks amazing.

It is that. I'm super happy with the meat quality, and I've not started in with any of the prime cuts yet. Thanks.

Norm, I've read a bit trying to understand exactly why anchovy brings out flavors so well. It's obviously salty, but is absolutely not like just adding salt to a dish. Many Mediterranean countries, both Euro and African, use it as a staple ingredient.

'Anchovies are also slipped into recipes by cooks who promise that they will disappear (“melt”) into the dish and that “you won’t taste them.” They do this is because anchovies are loaded with glutamates (also known as umami) which are widely believed to make food taste delicious or savory. The theory is that the anchovy flavor works in the background, adding depth of flavor and enhancing savoriness. This trick is often used in strong, tomato based sauces and is why fish sauce (often made with anchovies) is an elusive, but essential, ingredient in many Asian dishes. But again, anchovy haters can sniff out this deception at twenty paces.'

I am also reminded of the SE Asian fish sauces used in so many of their amazing dishes. Nuoc mam from Vietnam, for example. Alone, it's a fairly horrifying thing (especially when you learn how they make it!) but in dishes it has been added to, it just works to enhance flavors really well. Many Japanese dishes also often utilize a fish-based backbone (bonito flake/katsuobushi is a standard) flavor.

2ndwind, that's funny about you and the wife. I don't make it often, but I occasionally have pizza with green peppers, onions and anchovies. A little sweet, a little salty, a lot delicious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Our resident Mac 'N' Cheese expert chimes in, I see. Classy orifice comment, too!

It was Thanksgiving dinner but turkey wasn't on the menu. I know, unpatriotic, right Beeg Jeem? wink

Post TGD food coma nap for my girls.

Tasty. Coming in from fishing a few weeks ago the mate butchered one of our black fin and broke out a bottle of soy sauce. Maybe the trip, or the beer, but it was the best tuna I’ve ever had.

Nothing better than whoofing down some of the catch before you even get back to the dock.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2ndwind, that's funny about you and the wife. I don't make it often, but I occasionally have pizza with green peppers, onions and anchovies. A little sweet, a little salty, a lot delicious.

May I suggest trying pineapple, ham/Canadian bacon & smoked oysters for a similar effect.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

May I suggest trying pineapple, ham/Canadian bacon & smoked oysters for a similar effect.
You may not sir.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Getting into some of the fine bison cuts. Hands down one of the best game meats I've ever had the pleasure of taking part of. Cooking what I bring home from the field and waters is great fun and closes the circle of the hunt for me, especially so when the end result turns out so damned well. Mrs. KG declared this to a game dish she enjoyed more than any other to date, and one I suspect will be hard to top. I'll keep trying, however...

Prep time only a few minutes. Cooking time for sauce, veg and meat (not including boiling the potatoes) less than 30 minutes.

Slice brussels sprouts in half. S & P them and coat in EVOO. Into oven @ 350F for 25-30 minutes. Done, other than a thimble full of balsamic drizzled on after coming out of the oven.

Get a couple TBSP of neutral flavored oil hot in a pan big enough to take your cut of meat laid flat. This hunk of loin was better than 3 lbs before cooking, I'm sure. S&P the room temp loin. Brown top and bottom in hot pan maybe 4 minutes a side. Remove from pan and put meat in a shallow baking pan on a wire rack and into the oven. I went with 425F for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, using the same pan you browned the loin in, with a little more oil added in, toss in some finely chopped shallots garlic, red onion and sliced mushrooms with a bit of beef broth (unsalted, homemade beef bone broth). Get that going on high heat. Add tarragon, parsely, S & P. When veggies are softened, add generous amount of butter and a cup of red wine. I had some of the wife's CS on hand, so that went in. Into that also went maybe another half cup of beef broth and a bit of flour whisked in to help with thickening. Cook some more on medium high heat, then reduce on medium and when done keep warm on low, covered. If too thick, you can always add some more broth to thin it some.

Take care of mashies with S&P, some garlic and a little bit of chive that we grow in the garden in season. Freezing cut chives works just fine, BTW.

Some like to take a chateaubriand type cut like this out of the oven to rest under a foil tent, but I find with this Breville convection oven I can just keep it a roast there with the door unopened to let it finish. To me it's a misdemeanor to overcook any kind of meat or fish, but particularly so with such a fine cut as this. I went light on roast time, and while I could have had it a touch more rare, it was just phenomenal and to say we were pleased would be a grave understatement. I was just blown away at just how good this bison meat is. So was she. Winner!

The girls got a wee taste each of the end cuts after we were through. They were very patient, plus it's the holiday season, after all.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Well that looks amazing, I don't have any Buffalo (only Buffalo Trace) but I will try it with some venison

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Well that looks amazing, I don't have any Buffalo (only Buffalo Trace) but I will try it with some venison

Thanks, Irv'. Love to see how yours turns out with venison. Love to see any other dishes folks put together with game of any kind. Doesn't have to be game, but I really like seeing how folks prepare, cook and serve meat made the old fashioned way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife made a big pot of chicken tortilla soup today. Good stuff on a grey wet day.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KFWA
Wife made a big pot of chicken tortilla soup today. Good stuff on a grey wet day.

How about a recipe or pics? I have a package of old wild turkey breast that might work…

Only had tortilla soup once, in Ensenada. It was OK, not great. Adobo type base, and not with wild game.

Travis needs to post up a recipe and pics of this fabled iguana recipe…

No one else going to toss anything up? New 2 99s, come on brother I know I can count on you and a few others to bust this one wide open!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Im a fan of cooking big pots of soup, stew, chili, [bleep] that i can eat for several days after messing up the kitchen just once. Getting a big pot of bear veggie barley soup going now.
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Im a fan of cooking big pots of soup, stew, chili, [bleep] that i can eat for several days after messing up the kitchen just once. Getting a big pot of bear veggie barley soup going now.

I need pics of your bear and barley soup, dude. Sounds righteous!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My motto

KISS

keep it simple stupid

Bear Creek soup mix

Add your extras meat & vegi's......30 minutes & done

Add some air fried garlic & butter bread sticks

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton tried the anchovy paste in a pot of chili, I like it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tikkanut
My motto

KISS

keep it simple stupid

Bear Creek soup mix

Add your extras meat & vegi's......30 minutes & done

Add some air fried garlic & butter bread sticks

Everyone here knows how much you like to post pics of your trucks, but nothing as far as pics of prepared food of any sort? What happened to KISS?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Leighton tried the anchovy paste in a pot of chili, I like it.

I am reminded of the first times you dared try eating raw fish when up here. You enjoyed the hell out of it, including some basic fresh-caught macks. Sometimes, it pays to have some sack and to try things completely foreign to you and your world, right?

Like it, hate it, puke it up, whatever. Cowards never win the day. A least you can say you've TRIED it.

Phaggots need not apply.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 12/10/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Kamo doesn't go hungry when the missus is away. wink Well done as usual. It looks quite delicious and I'm sure it gets better as leftovers. I might thicken it up down the road with some arrowroot, cornstarch, or even instant mashed potatoes. Some good bread and a quality beverage and bachin' it doesn't seem so bad.

Hard pass on all curry's. Bad experience on a business trip - really bad, and that was 25 years ago.

A couple of decades back, we went up to the UP to scout pre-season for deer. We tramped many miles through the big woods that day and were plenty hungry for dinner. The one restaurant in Naubinway had Bison Porterhouse as their special on the marquee. $24.99 if the memory serves. The restaurant is no Michelin 3 star to be sure, but we were famished. The salad was sketch at best. The huge Porterhouse comes out and we dig in. Hmmm... Try another bite and we couldn't eat it; damn near gagging. Had this rancid taste with a sweetness to it. One guy puked. I have never had Bison again despite living near a bison ranch and grocery store owned by the ranch.

Anchovy filets should be in every kitchen pantry. A few filets instead of salt gives a briney depth to any dish. Your guests will never know its in there. AP is a good option too. Love it on good pizza.

Have some goose tits brining now for some corned goose. Should be good in about a week. Can't wait.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 25 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,154
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.