Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Last weekend I got to hear some more uninformed anti-Creedmoor blather. One of the guys shot a nice buck through the chest with a 308. After the shot the buck went a little way but was easily found. A member of the audience at the skinning shed took the opportunity to make sure everybody knew if he'd been shot with a 6.5 they'd still be out there looking for him.

My wife got a Creedmoor 4 or 5 years ago. The same guys I work with that thought her 250 Savage is great for deer love to expound on the 6.5 Creed being inadequate for any big game.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And neither the 6.5x55 or .260 will do so with factory ammo--IF you can find any.

John

Absolutely. With different brands and bullet weights, I counted 14 different offerings for 6.5 Creed at my local big box store yesterday. I can't tell you the last time I saw a box of Swede or 260 for sale.

As an aside, the only other cartridges with as many offerings as the 6.5 Creed are 308 and 223. They had half a dozen flavors of 30-06, and a couple for 300 Win. Mag. They had a couple kinds of 270 (and it's the first 270 they've had in a year) and one kind each of 7-08 and 7 Rem Mag. They had no 243 and have only had a few boxes in stock all year (I'd like to know why). 257 Roberts and 25-06 are nonexistent.

I handload and am very glad I do these days, but if you don't handload the 6.5 Creed is easily one of the best options going.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last weekend I got to hear some more uninformed anti-Creedmoor blather. One of the guys shot a nice buck through the chest with a 308. After the shot the buck went a little way but was easily found. A member of the audience at the skinning shed took the opportunity to make sure everybody knew if he'd been shot with a 6.5 they'd still be out there looking for him.

I believe you. A salesman at a gun store last week confided to me that a lot of people are now finding out that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't have enough power for deer. I thought about asking if he'd ever been hunting and/or mentioning that I find a 223 adequate and a 243 more than adequate for deer but decided the comment might sail right over his head.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like skinning shed wisdom, for sure.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

If I'd wondered aloud about how had Scandinavians been getting it done just fine on much bigger "deer" with the same ballistics it would have flown right over his head.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] My wife got a Creedmoor 4 or 5 years ago. The same guys I work with that thought her 250 Savage is great for deer love to expound on the 6.5 Creed being inadequate for any big game.[/quote]

That's because "everybody knows" that inches are a lot bigger than millimeters....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't hear much about how crappy a deer cartridge the Creed is, I hear many more stories saying it replaces all other cartridges and is the best thing since LED flashlights.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Come on folks. Think how many big game animals the 6.5x55, 6.5x57 have killed. The CM is just another version.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Not so certain.
Using my inferior Swede as an example, I have found it to not reach
enough velocity for certain bullets to kill well.

Different bullets, it now does very well.
Pretty certain there are some factory Creed loads that might be the same.
Different shot placement, bigger deer, luck....YMMV.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] My wife got a Creedmoor 4 or 5 years ago. The same guys I work with that thought her 250 Savage is great for deer love to expound on the 6.5 Creed being inadequate for any big game.

That's because "everybody knows" that inches are a lot bigger than millimeters....[/quote]

Same reason when I bring the 9.3x62mm to the "Big Bore Shoot" I tell 'em "it's a .366 Bock". A .366 is thumbs up, however, a 9.3 anything is suspiciously small...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not so certain.

Curious about the bullets that worked/didn’t work for you. All I’ve shot deer with in my 6.5x55 has been 130 grain NAB’s and , now, I’m using 130 SGK HPBT. I’m not pushing them hard, running just on 2700 fps, but those two are working okay for me. The Sierra I’ve just started using, but it seems to work.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There a link to this article?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I love Creedmore articles…. It’s fun watching the new kid on the block struggling to keep up with my 6.5x55.

Buying a new rifle and ammo for the 6.5x55 is the biggest challenge here in this neck of the woods.

OTOH .... Lots of 6.5CM rifles and some very good ammo as well to be had.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.sportsmans.com

In the magazine rack.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.sportsmans.com

In the magazine rack.

So you're gonna retire the ol .308 Win and get on track with the modern world.

Nice. laugh

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/17/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Nice. laugh

Not sure how you got that out of my post? I've owned a 6.5 CM going back over four years. It won't be replacing my 308's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not so certain.

Curious about the bullets that worked/didn’t work for you. All I’ve shot deer with in my 6.5x55 has been 130 grain NAB’s and , now, I’m using 130 SGK HPBT. I’m not pushing them hard, running just on 2700 fps, but those two are working okay for me. The Sierra I’ve just started using, but it seems to work.
Matching bullet construction with velocity for optimal performance is an art form.

For example, one would think a mono wouldn’t have a velocity ceiling. Well maybe, maybe not.

My .240 Wby shooting the 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps didn’t work so well on a WT doe. Huge blast effect on chest wall, underperformance inside the chest.

That gun shines with the 100 NPT and that’s the load I’m sticking with. Seems to be an optimal balance, speed vs bullet design, accuracy and terminal performance.

Experience trumps theory.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not so certain.

Not 6.5, but in my 7-08, my fav bullet is the 140 Sierra HPBT. It’s the most accurate, has great terminal performance at 2,700 or so.

I like it even better than the 120 NBT, my prev fav. Both are killers, the Sierra a bit more expansive and with good exits.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nice. laugh

Not sure how you got that out of my post? I've owned a 6.5 CM going back over four years. It won't be replacing my 308's.

Just pokin a bit of fun.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice. laugh

Just pokin a bit of fun.

No problem John smile

Hope you're well...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.