Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by renegade50
You might or might not be surprised at the amount of people that dont honestly know how to air up a tire in this day and age.

Among all other simple task they have never done in their sheltered existence....

It really is pathetic...
Parents are mostly to blame for it also...

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

^^^This^^^

Most of the little brats wouldn’t know what the valve stem is if you told them. Much less know how to check the oil level in their engine. They’re the Participation Trophy Generation. As were most of their dumbass parents. 🤪

Veering slightly off topic, but I was surprised to find out that my vehicle doesn't have a dip stick. Only way to check the oil level is by scrolling through options in the dash display. Oh, and the battery is under the (power) driver's seat that must be moved all the way forward and then all the way back to remove the bolts holding the seat in place. Only then can you access said battery. Fuggin Germans...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About half the new cars do not provide a spare or a jack.

Manufacturers know that most of the youngsters do not know how to change a tire.
The 25 year old with a flat simply gets out his Iphone and calls for help.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
If you dont know how to check the air pressure on your tires, you probably shouldnt be driving. Really. Doesnt take a mechanically inclined person to do that.
Air is free at every gas station ive been to. But unfortunately around here, almost every one has had the end of their air hoses cut off from tweekers, repeatedly, and some have stopped replacing them. Twice now ive needed air and had to stop at 4 or 5 gas stations to find one functional. So i said screw it and just keep a small air compressor under my back seat now, hooks up to the battery. Havent had occasion to use it yet.

When I was driving the big rig over the road, I had to constantly monitor 18 tires. My company used retreads so I was airing up a tire about twice a day, 7 days a week. You might say I was a professional tire air pressure filler.

I liked to stay at the little "Mom n Pop" truck stops, and their air almost never worked. The nozzles were cut off. I had to go to a big chain truck stop, like Pilot or Loves, to get air, and even then 3 out of 8 pumps had the GO$%&$#@MN nozzles cut off. And Loves and Pilot were good about replacing the nozzles, after all, some guys pulled in there just to get air. And the driver went inside and spent twenty bucks on coffee, potato chips and cigarettes. Yes, Loves made money on guys who just got free air.

Why do tweekers cut off the G-D nozzle? I'd like to have seen one of 'em doing that, I would have had "a little chat" with him.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Two stations near me. None has free air anymore.
1.50 for 4 mins i think
Kid got new tires on back, the old lady too. Discount Tire.
The valve stems they use....wont work w the new non free air at the stations.

One station on other side of town has a nozzle that works, when its not damaged.

So......i told em to run their crap to DT and have em check/ fill if need be.

Have seen folks use the pumps, with built in pressure gauge.....oblivious to it being there and grab the tire w their hand to " gauge " pressure. LOL

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I run on board air...

Bought several of these 6-7 months ago at $280... (i.e. before Obiden's 5%+/- inflation happened)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A friend runs the ARB...

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/16/22. Reason: Damn autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I stopped at Discount Tire twice recently for their free air check as I had a slow leak, mine was DIY and I was in and out in about a minute, pump preset to 35 psi. Had the tire patched for free Monday and the tires came with the truck, didn't buy them there but I have been DT customer for about 20 years, including my three sons vehicles. I did have to drag out the compressor Monday morning as the tire was at 16 and wouldn't drive on it that way. I went hunting Sunday morning and about halfway to my destination, I got a notice that my tire was under inflated, couldn't find air to save my life at 5 AM!
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Vol...;hvtargid=pla-4584482468345017&psc=1

They work. Other brands as well.

My $.02; if you're going to get a portable compressor, might as well marry it with a portable jump starter. Not a lot more coin to have a combo that serves dual duty.
Unless you already have one or the other.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/16/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That was my job in High School. Fill er up and check the tires and oil. All day every day. 2.10 an hour. I was in tall cotton.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I bought one of those little carry around 3 gallon air compressors at Harbor Freight many years ago. It gets used 2 or 3 times a week.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't the little hand held battery operated be more convenient? ASking because my friend does the same thing and I am thinking about one as a gift.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Costco has free nitrogen fill ups.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Since no air is free at stations around here, and most have the nozzles damaged or missing..........grabbed one of the Slime compressors from AZ (had turn signal bulb burned out on ol ladys Jeep). Cold so her tires down a little, pump got all 4 back to proper in maybe 12 mins total.

Figure saved a couple bucks, plus avoided having to run around trying to find functional station, and safety factor..........do it at home in drive......

figure 10 bucks worth. So pump was 62 IIRC. If it lasts 5 more total top offs its paid for.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a great little tire inflator. The brass nozzle screws onto the valve stem, it has a nice gauge on it so you can watch the psi as the tire inflates. Easily hooks to the car battery and has long hoses and wires, you can easily reach all 4 tires.

$90 on Amazon

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does it come with a presta adapter or will I have to supply one of my own?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What is a presta adapter?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
I tend to abide by

Don’t buy or involve yourself with anything youre too stupid to work on yourself.

Schmucks buying 80,000 pickup truck and then getting ass raped at the dealership paying $1300 for replace a power window motor. “

“Waaahhhh, I’m old and fat and didn’t know I could fix it myself for $90 part from Ebay and a 30 minute youtube tutorial….that’s because waaahhhh I’m too scare to take my AdBlocker off to open Youtube”
“Waahhhh, I don’t know how Ebay works and something something George Soros, about Paypal, waahhhh”
JFC

Nowadays you might not be able do that without a $8000 scanner to reset something.
I've learned my lesson, no more Ebay parts.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are going to carry around a compressor, check your equipment. I used mine, connected to the toyhauler generator to air up my dirt bike tires on Oct. 11. I needed it on Oct. 23 and the hose cracked. Really pissed me off but confused me at the same time how it could sit undisturbed and chit the the bed.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Been running nitrogen in my vehicles tires for about 10 years now.Pressure stays steady winter and summer.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
The Discount tire near me had a small sign Free Air Pressure checks and the line of cars remained a dozen or more most of the day. Cracked me up.

Because many people are too cheap to buy an $8 pressure gauge.

And buy their own compressor for the garage? LoL Forget it.

Why do any of that when there's essential beer and chips to buy for every weekend.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/18/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by slumlord
I tend to abide by

Don’t buy or involve yourself with anything youre too stupid to work on yourself.

Schmucks buying 80,000 pickup truck and then getting ass raped at the dealership paying $1300 for replace a power window motor. “

“Waaahhhh, I’m old and fat and didn’t know I could fix it myself for $90 part from Ebay and a 30 minute youtube tutorial….that’s because waaahhhh I’m too scare to take my AdBlocker off to open Youtube”
“Waahhhh, I don’t know how Ebay works and something something George Soros, about Paypal, waahhhh”
JFC

Nowadays you might not be able do that without a $8000 scanner to reset something.
I've learned my lesson, no more Ebay parts.

Simple

Pay a shop $100 to run it on their professional Diagnostics scanner
Or even run live data on it

I have access to 2 different life long friends and a brother in law that can run that.

I’m not beholden and helpless to have to go to Ripoff Auto Repair. Nor do I live 300 miles from nowhere in shît hole Sandville Nevada and have to haul my Lexus to the stealership for blinker fluid

Also have 6 vehicles in my driveway now, hit up Taco Bell in something else if my daily drive is kaput.

Worst case, log in to the local Judicial Task Force auction portal and have another ride in 2 days for 2000-3000$

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What is a presta adapter?
.......Allows you to fill a tire with a Presta valve. A different type of valve found on stuff like the high pressure bike tires on some road bikes. I have an old 10 speed Peugeot road bike that has them. The adapters are cheap and easy to use, as those skinny road bike tires get 120 PSI.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.