Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WMR
If you’re not walking in water, skip the rubber boots and get Lacrosse Ice Kings. Be sure to get them on the big size a bit. Wear a liner sock and a wool sock. Be sure the socks aren’t too tight. If needed use the chemical toe warmers. Enjoy your toasty feet.
Interesting actually since less insulation but heavy on the felt.

My only concern is sole design. How would these do in mud.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by WMR
If you’re not walking in water, skip the rubber boots and get Lacrosse Ice Kings. Be sure to get them on the big size a bit. Wear a liner sock and a wool sock. Be sure the socks aren’t too tight. If needed use the chemical toe warmers. Enjoy your toasty feet.
Interesting actually since less insulation but heavy on the felt.

My only concern is sole design. How would these do in mud.

IMO nothing is really great in mud. Trekking poles or just old ski poles can help. I cross creeks often but my knee high rubber boots were about a foot too short once this week. THAT was some mud! It rather sucked. Too wet in that place for my Lacrosse boots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rubber boots are going to “save” your sweat someplace; in your socks, the liners, whatever. Get some genuine Gore-tex lined insulated boots, leather or fabric/leather. They will allow the sweat to pass out and keep your feet dry, and with enough insulation, warm. Wear good quality wool socks. My Danners are 800 gram, and I’ve never had cold feet in them, but others are available with more thinsulate.

There are other waterproof fabrics and other insulations, but your money is safely invested in Gore-tex and thinsulate.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Brad

Yea, OK, these look great too. I now covet a pair of them. You’re gonna cost me money, man.

Well, you could do these smile

https://schnees.com/extreme-13/

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sweat...exactly what your problem is..my guess anyway. I fought cold feet for several years in Alaska, finally co workers tired of my sniveling clued me in. Dumped all the heavy insulated gear...ended up with Goodyear Xtra Tuffs, a felt insole, a wool sock, and a light (almost a dress sock) wicking sock. Problem solved to minus 20. If you don't like 100% rubber, the LL Bean uninsulated hunting shoe is even better, same innersole/sock layer. Don't lace them tight...let the moist air circulate up and out. You should shoot for cool dry feet, not warm sweaty.
Why I am using a wicking liner. The felt insole would be a good idea. Otherwise your set up is just like I stated I am using.

No problems if I am working/moving. It's 3-12 hours in a stand.

I almost wonder if 1 size larger boot would help with letting air circulation and socks wouldn't be pressed right up against boot interior.

i don’t tie my Sorel’s to the top. They’re like a slip on that I can tuck my pant legs in to keep them dry.
Plenty well ventilated like this. They might be a size too large. They’re comfy.

Attached Images
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My feet sweat with tight cuffs at the tops of rubber boots that are loose at the top no issues

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Try putting anti perspirant on your feet.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Sweat...exactly what your problem is..my guess anyway. I fought cold feet for several years in Alaska, finally co workers tired of my sniveling clued me in. Dumped all the heavy insulated gear...ended up with Goodyear Xtra Tuffs, a felt insole, a wool sock, and a light (almost a dress sock) wicking sock. Problem solved to minus 20. If you don't like 100% rubber, the LL Bean uninsulated hunting shoe is even better, same innersole/sock layer. Don't lace them tight...let the moist air circulate up and out. You should shoot for cool dry feet, not warm sweaty.
Why I am using a wicking liner. The felt insole would be a good idea. Otherwise your set up is just like I stated I am using.

I almost wonder if 1 size larger boot would help with letting air circulation and socks wouldn't be pressed right up against boot interior.

i don’t tie my Sorel’s to the top. They’re like a slip on that I can tuck my pant legs in to keep them dry.
Plenty well ventilated like this. They might be a size too large. They’re comfy.
Caribou?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LaCrosse Iceman pac boots have worked for me several years now. Polypropylene sock liner and Merino wool socks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Caribou?
I don’t know... says Manitou?

These are I don’t know how old.

I wear some kind of licra wool blend socks. Thick, soft, and stretchy.

Attached Images
Last edited by DollarShort; 11/19/22.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For stand hunting during cold days Arctic Shield boot covers have worked great for me. I pack them in to my stand and put them on over my boots and throw in a couple heat packs and my feet are comfortable.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcbergs
For stand hunting during cold days Arctic Shield boot covers have worked great for me. I pack them in to my stand and put them on over my boots and throw in a couple heat packs and my feet are comfortable.
I have these. Noisy bottoms are my main complaint, other than that they do work.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody using slip on pac boots?

https://schnees.com/hunter-pull-on/

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a 60” youth rectangle sleeping bag with me on my pack. Whether I’m in a climber, lock-on ot sitting on the ground I can get in the bag and zip it up and stay warm.

I hunted this morning in wool socks, un-insulated boots, a medium base layer top and bottom, thin insulated pants, a bad lands 1/4 zip, a thin vest and a jacket with the bag zipped up to my arm pits.

It was 16 degrees at daylight and it had warmed up to 36 with a 12 mph wind when I left just after noon. Never even offered to get cold.

Unfortunately it’s discontinued: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102395099?pid=804122

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think I’ll try some of these for when it’s cold but not super cold. 200 grams thinsulate. Forty bucks.

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outdoors-mens-pac-winter-boots?sku=brown-brown-11-d&gmc_feed=t&ogmap=SEM|PLN|GOOG|SHOP|m|FW|IM|Non-Brand-PerformanceMax-Footwear-Work-Casual-Hosiery-YouthFW|Work-Casual-Hosiery-YouthFW||18344058709|0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItLLr2NG7-wIV8BXUAR3jnwNVEAQYByABEgJlhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attached Images
Last edited by DollarShort; 11/19/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Schnee's 10" Hunter is a great boot and easy to walk or work in all day.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve always had cold feet problems with winter activities. These are the only boots that have worked for me. I think I have went through 2 pairs in probably 30 years, and I have replaced the liners in the pair I have now. They are big and bulky but they work. I don’t know if you would need them in Missouri though. I see they have changed the design a bit from the pair I have.
https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/mens/men-s-footwear/hunt/ice-king-10-brown-400g.html

Edit I’ve tried other off brand pac boots and just gave them away.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 11/20/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Try putting anti perspirant on your feet.

This is worth a shot. I tend to agree that sweat is likely a significant factor.

I have issue with cold feet as well. I've not solved the issue entirely but do a couple of things.

1. Keep my feet dry. I've used antiperspirant on my feet, seems to help a bit but my feet don't sweat much when it's cold.

2. Make sure your legs are warm. Bought a Sitka Incinerator set a few years back for my Whitetail hunting and instantly my feet became way better. I like the sleeping bag idea. I bought a Get Out Gear down and synthetic blanket for 3 season backpacking and will be taking one of them to PA next week when I go for the very reason of keeping my feet warm. I also wear Gaiters every time. I beleive they help keep your feet warm by providing another layer over you calf area.

3. Make sure you boots are not too tight. The toe wiggle test is not all that great. For WT stand hunting, I want a slight bit of movement from midfoot forward. I wear size 9.5 boots and usually buy size 10. I also buy an aftermarket insole to provide cushion and a layer between my feet and the ground/treestand.

This year I will also try standing on a seat pad. Boots against an aluminum grate can't be the best way to insulate your feet. A piece of carpet may work better - I'm still chewing on that one.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walmart sells unscented Sure spray antiperspirant for about $3. I’d pair that with the stick-on toe warmers and try it out. I wear toe warmers and wool socks when morning temps are below freezing.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gaiters help my deal a ton.

Peet boot dryers.

Wool socks.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.