Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntingfool270
After surgery on my rotator cuff I was having a throbbing pain running down my arm that wouldn’t stop. Pain pills only worked for a few hours and then left me hurting for hours waiting to take the next dose. I was desperate and open to help from anything so I let my mom take me to her chiropractor. The chiropractor adjusted my lower neck and it was as if she had lifted a hot iron off my arm. The flood of relief from the pain was almost instant and then the pain kept fading. Chiropractor said it was common for post operation patients to get a nerve pinched in surgery because sometimes they need to position your body in awkward ways so the surgeon can get a good angle to work at and when you are completely limp under anesthesia it’s easy for the spine to move and pinch a nerve.
Broke my neck in 2002 so chiropractor's won't touch my neck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I took the pain meds for three days and they made me woozy. Third day I walked into a door jamb with that shoulder. Dropped me. No more meds for me. I think about a week for the pain.
Still slept upright in a recliner for another month plus. No option there.
Good luck.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Find a chiropractor that has a bad azz cold laser. Had a frozen shoulder 2 yrs ago that pt wouldn't fix. One treatment and I was fixed. I'm a firm believer in it. Make sure it's at least 20k machine so it goes deep in the muscle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had rotator cuff repair of both shoulders, first one was a medium to large tear and the second was a complete tear off. For the complete tear off the doctor ordered a cold water pump that I wore for a couple weeks. PT on the complete tear off was passive for the first 8 weeks, I went in and laid down while the therapist stretched my shoulder muscles. Never had throbbing pain described by the OP, if I did I'd be returning to see the surgeon for evaluation. With either shoulder I did not finish the prescribed Oxycodone I was sent home form the hospital with. When I went off Oxy I used Tylenol. Good luck with you recovery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the labrum repair and a humerus fracture repair years back and don't remember that kind of pain after that many days. But as many have said everyone is different. I know id have no issue bothering the doctors office if the pain becomes intolerable even after heavily medicating. Im not a fan of pain pills for any length of time but a man also needs to get plenty of rest. Good luck either way

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Pat, I have had 5 major shoulder surgeries. They flat out suck. Recovery and pain subsidence has a lot of variables, so one persons experience won't necessarily be like yours. For me the window for the white hot burning pain ranged from 1-3 days. Discomfort will stay with you for weeks. A recliner provides for the very best position of comfort. I slept in mine following each of my surgeries for anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.
Several years ago I bought an adjustable bed due to chronic back pain. I have tried every position available to no avail. I think the older I'm getting the bigger my puzzy is!

The arm rests on a recliner are key to comfort.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pat, I have had 5 major shoulder surgeries. They flat out suck. Recovery and pain subsidence has a lot of variables, so one persons experience won't necessarily be like yours. For me the window for the white hot burning pain ranged from 1-3 days. Discomfort will stay with you for weeks. A recliner provides for the very best position of comfort. I slept in mine following each of my surgeries for anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.
Several years ago I bought an adjustable bed due to chronic back pain. I have tried every position available to no avail. I think the older I'm getting the bigger my puzzy is!

This has been my experience as well. I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, and slept in a recliner after the first one. For the second one (just over a year ago) we rented an adjustable hospital bed. Being able to lay down at the correct angle, and having pillows to support the arm on the surgery side will make a world of difference in your comfort at night. It should also help the pain ease up during the day too.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had both shoulders done a few years ago. The right side I had 10 tears in labrum, rotator cuff, bicep cut and reattached, etc. The right side was first and hurt for a few days before getting better but the left side was far different. I had 11 or 12 rips in the various parts and I didn’t get a second of sleep for the first 72 hours because the pain was unbearable. I sucked down a handful of oxycodone and accompanied my daughter to a father/daughter dance with a smile but inside I wanted to die. I finally had had enough and had my wife drive me into the surgeon’s office. I told him that he was going to prescribe something for the pain or I’ll be following him around daily until he does. I was NOT polite or gentle that visit but he got the message and prescribed morphine. Once I was able to get the pain under control and rest I began to heal and feel better.

Take 25-50mg of Benadryl 20 minutes prior to taking your pain meds and that should help with the itching. If it doesn’t help you need to tell your doctor because getting the pain under control is of paramount importance.

Good luck Sir, I don’t envy you.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take the pain meds. You need to rest to heal. The recliner, ice, and pillows to find a good position. If no relief by morning, go see surgeon. Something is not right that must be examined. You have to take the pain meds to get ahead of the pain. If you do not have an addictive personality, you will wean yourself off the pain meds in a few days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same surgery.

I was hurting pretty bad for several days and didn't start rehab until week 2.

Rehab was tons of fun.....you will love it

I was back to work in 5 weeks but not 100% for close to a year.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
First surgery 10 years ago--no pain after healing.
Opposite shoulder surgery about a year ago is still painful.

It's going to depend on what they had to do in trying to repair it.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW.....

Request the chair that works your shoulder for your home.

It's a gamechanger

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Tore my ac joint a few years ago.
It hurt. A few days with rest and some meds, which I don’t like, helped a bit. 😝

AC joint hurt like a mofo. Are you sure you didn’t break your clavicle?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I encourage you to look into percutaneous, ultra-sound guided tenotomy with PRP. Near miraculous results for some people.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
August 2019 had a total shoulder replacement.
I was getting to the stage I couldn't feed myself! 😖

Now, I don't know about anybody else, but until I had shoulder surgery, I couldn't sleep all night. I would move my arm during the night and the pain of bone-on-bone would bring me to startling awareness!
Man, that thing hurt something awful.

Even bandaged and in a cast and sling, I slept like a baby for the first time in a decade.
They kept me overnight.
The next day, I'm chomping at the bit to go home.
The hospital filled the hydrocodone 'script. The floor nurse brought my pillsxand told me I needed to take one...but I wasn't in pain!
The floor nurse was insistent that I take at least one before the trip (115 miles) home.

That is the ONLY pain pill I took, even during PT!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ibuprofen, a comfy recliner and a bidet on the toilet got me through rotator cuff surgery. It took about 6 months to heal about 75%

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
August 2019 had a total shoulder replacement.
I was getting to the stage I couldn't feed myself! 😖

Now, I don't know about anybody else, but until I had shoulder surgery, I couldn't sleep all night. I would move my arm during the night and the pain of bone-on-bone would bring me to startling awareness!
Man, that thing hurt something awful.

Even bandaged and in a cast and sling, I slept like a baby for the first time in a decade.
They kept me overnight.
The next day, I'm chomping at the bit to go home.
The hospital filled the hydrocodone 'script. The floor nurse brought my pillsxand told me I needed to take one...but I wasn't in pain!
The floor nurse was insistent that I take at least one before the trip (115 miles) home.

That is the ONLY pain pill I took, even during PT!

My surgeon got very upset with not taking the pain meds because, as stated before, you will heal better if you body isn't in massive pain.

Ymmv

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a total shoulder replacement in 2019, did 10 days in rehab and didn't need the pain meds at all. Working hard in rehab is the key, or at least it was in my case.

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Yes I use extra pillows to support my shoulder and arm.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slowmover12
Take the pain meds. You need to rest to heal. The recliner, ice, and pillows to find a good position. If no relief by morning, go see surgeon. Something is not right that must be examined. You have to take the pain meds to get ahead of the pain. If you do not have an addictive personality, you will wean yourself off the pain meds in a few days.
Yeah I'm not to concerned about getting hooked on the pain meds. I went through that with Vicodin in 2002 with my broken neck. They prescribed them like candy and I ate them like candy. Took me 2 years to admit to myself that I was hooked. Once that happened I stopped them and within 4 months I stopped craving them.

Ever since then, I am careful and paranoid of pain meds but I do take them and know when to stop. Thanks for the advice though.
Yes the pillows supporting the surgery shoulder is very crucial. Ice too!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.