Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
There's one more week of rifle. Was there last week (Washington/Aroostook cty) about 12 guys, no kills. A couple smaller bucks let go. Camp got 4 the week before, couple spikers and 2 small 8s. I saw one doe in the woods for the week, but had a buck and 3 doe crossing the roads at different times heading back to camp in the evening. Not complaining because I know by experience it's tough hunting up there. Conditions were poor last 3 days crunchy snow, and high water in brooks and swamps and large puddles in the low lying woods areas, but at least with the snow you were able to see tracks. Anybody that's hunted there might swear there are no deer but when you find'em (the hard part) there's tracks everywhere.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Used to hunt Sherman Mills and Patten. A buck from those areas was earned.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My brother and his bride were in Rockwood and she shot a buck and a doe.
My son and I have shot a buck and a doe in the western mountain foothills.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rut action appears to be very late this year. Myself and a buddy both shot bucks last Wednesday in the snow and both of them were full of fat. That tells me they haven't been chasing hard. This was big woods in the Bingham area.

I work as a forester and quite literally spend 40-50 hours a week in the woods. The rubs and scrapes have been extremely minimal until the last week or so I have noticed. It seems the rut is behind this year. While I know some will scoff at that idea, the evidence speaks for itself.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I won't say I covered miles but I walked some ground and did not see a scrape or rub. But obviously I was in the wrong place, but similar reports from the rest of the camp. Unusually high temps the first 2 weeks of the season may have dampened things down a bit as far as the rut.....maybe.

Someone told me (if it's true) Patten and Sherman Mills area had some bad winter kill 2 years in a row several years back. I did hunt up there in the early 90s.

IC B2

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by GuideGun
The rut action appears to be very late this year. Myself and a buddy both shot bucks last Wednesday in the snow and both of them were full of fat. That tells me they haven't been chasing hard. This was big woods in the Bingham area.

I work as a forester and quite literally spend 40-50 hours a week in the woods. The rubs and scrapes have been extremely minimal until the last week or so I have noticed. It seems the rut is behind this year. While I know some will scoff at that idea, the evidence speaks for itself.

The rut happens the same time every year and is the reason fawns are born at the same time every year.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From Wednesday on, northern Maine has been very good. By far the best conditions of the season so far

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ejo
[quote=GuideGun]The rut action appears to be very late this year. Myself and a buddy both shot bucks last Wednesday in the snow and both of them were full of fat. That tells me they haven't been chasing hard. This was big woods in the Bingham area.

The rut happens the same time every year and is the reason fawns are born at the same time every year.[/quote]
What calendar do the deer use? Moon

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
What calendar do the deer use? Moon

Hours of daylight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,839
Posts18,478,119
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.