Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
John,
I have used a 6.5 VLD 140 gr on deer and antelope and it worked really well. I have not tried it on anything larger.
I don't hunt elk much these days, but when I did, me and my partners used 300 mags, I used 180 NP and elk would stop them, others used 200 NP and got full penetration and decisive kills every time.
I have shot a couple deer with the 200NP 30-06 combo and it was decisive with little meat loss, I like that.
Where I live and hunt now is thick forest, long shots are rare... and we have grizzly bears. So lately I have leaned towards a 9.3x62 with 286 gr. NP, 338 mag with 210gr NP
and even built a 375 H&H I intend to carry with 250 gr GMX. A 30-06 with a 200 NP would do very well also, it's just to vanilla for me... wink
I hunt alone most days and these combos bring more piece of mind than a 6.5 Creed with 140 vld's. Of course we are all free to make our own choices and hunting is not an ego game for me. It's me and nature with no observers, no fans, no cheerleaders and I am not selling anything. Just me enjoying nature.
I will continue to use VLD type loads in smaller calibers for deer and antelope in open country though.

Always fun to discuss guns stuff.

I have shot and seen shot quite a few elk with the 6.5mm 140gr and 130gr VLDs.

Those bullets work great on the larger critters.

Bell stacked more than a few elephants with his .256 but solids as he didn't have access to VLDs. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Garandimal
At what point does a stoutly constructed 180 gr./2800 fps fail... but a 200 gr./2700 fps succeeds?

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR
You'll know when it happens. Scary stuff. You'll probably never stop shiitting your pants afterward. Maybe that's not new for you.

It's probably more of a looney thing than a functional thing. I've shot more 200 gr bullets at animals than 180's from 30-06. They all died just the same, with holes through vitals....

So you're a pants-shiitter?

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
At what point does a stoutly constructed 180 gr./2800 fps fail... but a 200 gr./2700 fps succeeds?

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR
You'll know when it happens. Scary stuff. You'll probably never stop shiitting your pants afterward. Maybe that's not new for you.

It's probably more of a looney thing than a functional thing. I've shot more 200 gr bullets at animals than 180's from 30-06. They all died just the same, with holes through vitals....

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR
At what point does a 200gr Partition at 2700 fail, but a whatever from a 9.3x62 succeed?

Methinks you do more shooting your mouth online than you shoot anything offline.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR
At what point does a 200gr Partition at 2700 fail, but a whatever from a 9.3x62 succeed?

Methinks you do more shooting your mouth online than you shoot anything offline.

Maybe a cape buffalo? I don't know as I have never shot one..... oh and pay no attention to Garandimal he is a dumbazz

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by TRexF16
50 yards. 200 Partition. Take your frangible bullet pop-gun to this party.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The Prostitution rests, your honor. ;o)
Rex

Done that.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Want another swing there batter?

Done that? Do long range hunters have a distorted view of size? Here is a spot and stalk black bear shot with a 200gr partition that might outweigh that grizzly. Not to mention the stretch on cartridge selection to boot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice looking blackie.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

Think...?

Don't hurt yourself.

Ha!

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

Maybe a cape buffalo? I don't know as I have never shot one..... oh and pay no attention to Garandimal he is a dumbazz

And again, my point is made.

You buttheads just can't help it.

Ha!

GR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

Ha!

GR

I challenge you to find ONE story where a 30-06 and 200gr Partitions didn't put down a cape buffalo. Just one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

Ha!

GR

I challenge you to find ONE story where a 30-06 and 200gr Partitions didn't put down a cape buffalo. Just one.

I am sure it would work fine.... after a small bribe was paid to the local game official... wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Reach for the 9.3x62mm.

GR

You make my point.

9.3x62mm.

GR

Ha!

GR

I am sure it would work fine.... after a small bribe was paid to the local game official... wink
I believe there are countries where you can apply for a special permit that allows you to bypass caliber/energy restrictions, along with those locales that don't have restrictions. I've read a few stories of guys using 30 cals, including a 30-06 with 180gr Partitions, to hunt and shoot cape buffalo. To no one's surprise, it worked just fine.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was having a conversation one day with a former African PH and he told me he could kill every buffalo with one shot from a 270 , if he had Winchester 140 gr failsafe bullets

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
A .308 200 gr Nosler partition @ 2700 fps is a very good place to be for game heavier than deer

Given a choice a smart man would take a 6.5mm CM / 140gr VLD @ 2750.

Better killin in close and more reach.

Just Sayin.

John,
I have used a 6.5 VLD 140 gr on deer and antelope and it worked really well. I have not tried it on anything larger.
I don't hunt elk much these days, but when I did, me and my partners used 300 mags, I used 180 NP and elk would stop them, others used 200 NP and got full penetration and decisive kills every time.
I have shot a couple deer with the 200NP 30-06 combo and it was decisive with little meat loss, I like that.
Where I live and hunt now is thick forest, long shots are rare... and we have grizzly bears. So lately I have leaned towards a 9.3x62 with 286 gr. NP, 338 mag with 210gr NP
and even built a 375 H&H I intend to carry with 250 gr GMX. A 30-06 with a 200 NP would do very well also, it's just to vanilla for me... wink
I hunt alone most days and these combos bring more piece of mind than a 6.5 Creed with 140 vld's. Of course we are all free to make our own choices and hunting is not an ego game for me. It's me and nature with no observers, no fans, no cheerleaders and I am not selling anything. Just me enjoying nature.
I will continue to use VLD type loads in smaller calibers for deer and antelope in open country though.
Very well said, Sir.
Rex

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I was having a conversation one day with a former African PH and he told me he could kill every buffalo with one shot from a 270 , if he had Winchester 140 gr failsafe bullets
Would that "former African PH" be Ross Seyfried who said that?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

wink

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thought so! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have hunted with several PHs who had done a bunch of buffalo culling in their careers--and probably already mentioned some of this earlier. But what they said was NOT theory, but experience.

One culled around 500 buffalo--all sizes from calves to mature bulls--at various angles with the original 180-grain Nosler Partitions (those with the "relief" groove) from a .30-06. They were not shot in the head at night, but were killed on day-time drives on a big Rhodesian ranch when domestic cattle were more valuable than buffalo. He never had a problem. Same deal with a buddy of his--though he preferred the original "blunt-nosed" 200 Partition.

When I hunted in Tanzania in 2011, the 17-year-old son of my primary PH had just killed his first bull buffalo with a .300 Winchester Magnum and one 180-grain Barnes TSX. He shot it behind the shoulder, and the bull went the pretty much average 100 yards and keeled over dead.

Another PH on the same hunt had used a 7mm Remington Magnum with whatever "good" bullet he could get to handload to kill a bunch of buffalo

Eileen and I killed a bunch of big game with the 140-grain Fail Safe--and eventually Barnes TSX--with the .270 Winchester. I am sure any similar bullet from the .270 would work on Cape buffalo, partly because one of the animals Eileen killed with the .270 was a mature, 900-pound cow bison in Texas, that required a couple hours of stalking in thick brush, due to having the other cow it hung out with being killed a day or so before. When Eileen finally got a shot, she put a 130 TSX behind the shoulder, and the cow went 40 yards, wobbled a little, and keeled over before Eileen could shoot again--and she's pretty quick. Oh, and the "little" TSX exited.

If the bullet penetrates and expands sufficiently on the game at hand, it will kill pretty quickly with typical heart/lung shots--whether it's a Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler Partition or whatever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have hunted with several PHs who had done a bunch of buffalo culling in their careers--and probably already mentioned some of this earlier. But what they said was NOT theory, but experience.

One culled around 500 buffalo--all sizes from calves to mature bulls--at various angles with the original 180-grain Nosler Partitions (those with the "relief" groove) from a .30-06. They were not shot in the head at night, but were killed on day-time drives on a big Rhodesian ranch when domestic cattle were more valuable than buffalo. He never had a problem. Same deal with a buddy of his--though he preferred the original "blunt-nosed" 200 Partition.

When I hunted in Tanzania in 2011, the 17-year-old son of my primary PH had just killed his first bull buffalo with a .300 Winchester Magnum and one 180-grain Barnes TSX. He shot it behind the shoulder, and the bull went the pretty much average 100 yards and keeled over dead.

Another PH on the same hunt had used a 7mm Remington Magnum with whatever "good" bullet he could get to handload to kill a bunch of buffalo

Eileen and I killed a bunch of big game with the 140-grain Fail Safe--and eventually Barnes TSX--with the .270 Winchester. I am sure any similar bullet from the .270 would work on Cape buffalo, partly because one of the animals Eileen killed with the .270 was a mature, 900-pound cow bison in Texas, that required a couple hours of stalking in thick brush, due to having the other cow it hung out with being killed a day or so before. When Eileen finally got a shot, she put a 130 TSX behind the shoulder, and the cow went 40 yards, wobbled a little, and keeled over before Eileen could shoot again--and she's pretty quick. Oh, and the "little" TSX exited.

If the bullet penetrates and expands sufficiently on the game at hand, it will kill pretty quickly with typical heart/lung shots--whether it's a Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler Partition or whatever.

John,
That is very interesting and I believe you 100% !
The advancement in bullets is a game changer in my opinion.
Yet every day here we hear about B.C. being the most important part of the bullet....... hmmmm smile smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
wink
Never heard of her?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure miss Dober. Guy had a mess of class, never had to chest pump and was able to put the money on the table if he said he could.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yessir, Dober is good people.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.