Print Thread
Hop To
M
mlg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m thinking of buying a new Featherweight M70 in 30-06 and just wondered if someone could tell me if the recoil lug is the same setup as the Supergrade model?

So it will be an FN manufactured model.

Many thanks.

HR IC

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Model 70 recoil lugs are integral to the action. My FN model 70 came bedded very tight to the stock, it took several attempts to remove the barreled action when I bought it. I hope this answers what you’re asking

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To echo what's above, I don't think the lug is any different on Portugal-made FWTs, sporters, or super grades.

I know folks like to reded them. But the 4 I've owned were all MOA -- and usually better -- out of the box.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My 1985 7X57 wasn't MOA, still isn't.

I got it used with less than 50 rounds through it, safety not working either. I fixed the safety issue, shot it, removed several channel pressure points, shot it, removed the speed bump, shot it, full-length bedded, shot it, did the bread tab free-float, shot it - all the same 1 1/2 MOA or a bit more with factory ammo. It kills....

Next step (after reviewing and if need be tweaking my work from several years ago) is hand-loading fire-formed brass and neck-sizing or just barely bumping the shoulder back.

It's all fun, but I've never had this much trouble getting a Ruger, Winchester, and most Remingtons (my .243 was a bugger, now MOA) to shoot better than 1.25 MOA just free-floating the barrel with action bedded flat, and trigger work as needed to 3.5 lbs or less.

But yeah, the 70 recoil lug is all the same among like-length actions.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is soooooo very fhuqking EASY,to simply Start At The Fhuqking Start and nip schit quickly...yet nobody does. While I'll never understand the "thinking",I do enjoy The Show. Hint.(grin)

Which REUPOLD is it? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

M
mlg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK thanks guys - thats what I wanted to know - I like that large integral recoil lug with the receiver and I was just concerned that it may only be on the Supergrade.

I saw a new Featherweight this morning in 308 at a LGS and was disappointed to see a nylon/ plastic mag follower. But Im sure I could get a steel one somewhere - or have it made up. Whilst I know the plastic ones work they just dont belong on a rifle like that......IMO anyway.

Last edited by mlg; 11/21/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My mag follower is metal. You sure what you're looking at is NIB?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mlg
OK thanks guys - thats what I wanted to know - I like that large integral recoil lug with the receiver and I was just concerned that it may only be on the Supergrade.

I saw a new Featherweight this morning in 308 at a LGS and was disappointed to see a nylon/ plastic mag follower. But Im sure I could get a steel one somewhere - or have it made up. Whilst I know the plastic ones work they just dont belong on a rifle like that......IMO anyway.

Your info is all over the board mate. Model 70's have had an "integral" recoil lug since 1936. Also, since when is BACO putting in plastic followers? I know for a short time Winchester used them in their CRF classics. Show us some proof this is a new BACO with a plastic follower.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by las
My 1985 7X57 wasn't MOA, still isn't.

I got it used with less than 50 rounds through it, safety not working either. I fixed the safety issue, shot it, removed several channel pressure points, shot it, removed the speed bump, shot it, full-length bedded, shot it, did the bread tab free-float, shot it - all the same 1 1/2 MOA or a bit more with factory ammo. It kills....

Next step (after reviewing and if need be tweaking my work from several years ago) is hand-loading fire-formed brass and neck-sizing or just barely bumping the shoulder back.

It's all fun, but I've never had this much trouble getting a Ruger, Winchester, and most Remingtons (my .243 was a bugger, now MOA) to shoot better than 1.25 MOA just free-floating the barrel with action bedded flat, and trigger work as needed to 3.5 lbs or less.

But yeah, the 70 recoil lug is all the same among like-length actions.

I have one of those also... its stamped 7 mm Mauser.. got it used for cheap.. guy bought it and couldn't find ammo so put it up for sale...
after he had a gunsmith bed it, lightened the trigger, and added a recoil pad... I paid $300 for it, low miler to include a 3 x 9 Nikon Scope on top..
Sold the Nikon for $200, so have the rifle with $150 in it.

Darn thing thinks its a varmint rifle, instead of a deer rifle. Try 40 grains of 3031 with any bullet weight you desire, and see if that tightens up your groups... it sure did in my Ruger 77 Mk 2.. from 5 inch groups with anything, to half inch groups with any bullet.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm thinking maybe because it's matte finished and probably looks extra dull next to the jeweling that it looked synthetic at first glance? All of mine have/had metal internals in the mag, etc.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.