Hop To
Page 28 of 29 1 2 26 27 28 29
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That bull did start to turn into your shot.

Yes, he did, 100%. About a tenth of a second before the bullet hit him he turned to his left to face us. Still a bad shot, but thank you for that. Glad someone else saw what I did in the video.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/22/22.
GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So many was that coulda gone fubar. That was indeed a good shot 😎 Congrats Leighton

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So how were the tenderloins, did I miss the pics?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He dropped like a toilet seat! Impressive!

I am quite surprised the other bison didn't gather around their fallen comrade and try to get him up as they usually do.

Good Job Leighton!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
OK kids, here's what you've all been waiting for. Or not. wink Thanks to SD for taking the crappy video and spending 20 minutes on the phone with me just now getting it uploaded. Video not good enough, I don't think, to make a call on definitive operator error. Bison down, with authority, @ ~ 43 second point.

In any event, I don't think anyone can argue about how quickly that bull died. Hammer down. Best worst shot I've ever made! SD, Rost495 and VernAK, you boys made this kid's dream come true. 'Thank you' doesn't even begin to convey my gratitude to you lads. Hopefully, my actions and words will.

Lman, that buff definitely turned towards you, before the shot broke !

Enjoyed your excellent adventure, very much !!

Thanks for taking us along.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
He dropped like a toilet seat!

Stealing that one!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just got this today from AKDFG. Also, a little bird told me three hunters whacked the wrong sex bison during this season. That must've stung in a few different ways and no doubt can't have been a nice feeling. I feel badly for those who hit a tag but were unable to work within the new parameters. I'd have been livid to have hit a tag as a NR but had something else I needed to deal with for the dates given and not been able to do the hunt. I guess lady luck always has her say in some things in life...

Hello,

We just wanted to update everyone to let you know that the bison hunt for this year is now closed for the season.

All groups met their quotas therefore we will not be offering a spring hunt. Again we sincerely regret having to make so many drastic changes to this years hunt, we understand that it was not ideal for all of you hunters. We are hopeful that the next few winters will be mild and that the bison population will rebound so we can provide additional hunting opportunities going forward. We will be offering a reduced number of permits again next year. And just a reminder that because you have drawn a permit this year, residents are required to wait 10 years before applying for another bison permit, and non-residents may not re-apply. Again, we understand that this may seem unfair due to all the changes.

If you have not yet filed your report please do so. You may file by mail, online, or call us at the Delta office (907-895-4484).

Thank you to all of you who have been so patient and understanding this year.

Sincerely,

Delta Area ADF&G Staff

To the AK guy who hit TWO DJ bison permits, you're one lucky SOB!

wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty happy you drew, got to hunt, and succeeded.

I bet that curry was delish.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand Kamo's desire for full transparency... the campfire is ruthless in that regard..... BUT I believe at this point he performed excellent and no apology is required.
A fine hunt with a fine outcome... congrats Kamo...

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
bison burgers for lunch at deer camp. not a single complaint from the two of us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just got this today from AKDFG. Also, a little bird told me three hunters whacked the wrong sex bison during this season. That must've stung in a few different ways and no doubt can't have been a nice feeling. I feel badly for those who hit a tag but were unable to work within the new parameters. I'd have been livid to have hit a tag as a NR but had something else I needed to deal with for the dates given and not been able to do the hunt. I guess lady luck always has her say in some things in life...

Hello,

We just wanted to update everyone to let you know that the bison hunt for this year is now closed for the season.

All groups met their quotas therefore we will not be offering a spring hunt. Again we sincerely regret having to make so many drastic changes to this years hunt, we understand that it was not ideal for all of you hunters. We are hopeful that the next few winters will be mild and that the bison population will rebound so we can provide additional hunting opportunities going forward. We will be offering a reduced number of permits again next year. And just a reminder that because you have drawn a permit this year, residents are required to wait 10 years before applying for another bison permit, and non-residents may not re-apply. Again, we understand that this may seem unfair due to all the changes.

If you have not yet filed your report please do so. You may file by mail, online, or call us at the Delta office (907-895-4484).

Sincerely,

Delta Area ADF&G Staff

wink
If 3 turned themselves in (or got caught) I bet there were others. With a total quota of 60, and at least 5% making a bad mistake, and 50% not killing a bison... a lot of folks probably regret drawing the tag.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The bullet was supersonic, the shot was tight to the base of the skull, the head turned because the bullet hit right behind the skull. Slowed to frame by frame with sound it is a perfect shot but not planned.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How’s business at The Cave since this thread was posted?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hello,

Sincerely,

Delta Area ADF&G Staff

wink
If 3 turned themselves in (or got caught) I bet there were others. With a total quota of 60, and at least 5% making a bad mistake, and 50% not killing a bison... a lot of folks probably regret drawing the tag.

If the cow shooters turn themselves in, the magistrate is usually lenient but their tag is gone. On the bright side, three local families on the Road Kill List were able to get a complete bison carcass from the Wildlife Trooper.
There was also one case of Wanton Waste where the only the head and loins were taken.....a serious charge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hello,

Sincerely,

Delta Area ADF&G Staff

wink

If the cow shooters turn themselves in, the magistrate is usually lenient but their tag is gone. On the bright side, three local families on the Road Kill List were able to get a complete bison carcass from the Wildlife Trooper.
There was also one case of Wanton Waste where the only the head and loins were taken.....a serious charge.
I did not realize they use the Road Kill list to distribute mistakes... very good use.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ah, sweet, sweet redemption. wink

Today I received a box from Anchorage. In it was my bison robe and cleaned and bleached skull, and horns. Guess what? SD was wrong, and I was right about that bull turning into my shot. How do I know this? Because there's a ~.375" hole in the bull's face just inside his left eye socket. There is also a corresponding hole about an inch in diameter in the back of the skull, right where the skull meets the first vertebra--the one that the buys discovered was shattered by the TSX. The bullet went into the face, through the sinuses, out the skull and directly into the spine. Still a horrible effort on my part, but I'd be lying if I said that seeing that didn't make me feel just a wee bit better. That bison swung hard to the left just before the bullet hit him.

I recall when we were taking the bull apart my asking why blood had spilled out of the bull's mouth and nose, being that I hadn't poked a lung. The answer I got was, well, wrong. The blood was coming out the nose and mouth because that fat bullet went into his face and followed gravity's path.

To those couple of guys on this thread who after seeing the video I posted of the kill shot agreed that the bull turned into the shot a split second before dropping? You were right. wink

That shot was taken at only around 250 yards. Makes me think that long range shots (for me, that's anything over maybe 400) and the accompanying bullet flight times can make for some bad results, even if the shot itself--when taken--was perfect. Critters move.

Anyway, food for thought, maybe. Sorry this isn't a 'have you ever...' type post.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 01/23/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kamo gari;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope that the rest of the day matched the package from Alaska arriving.

If I didn't say it looked to me like it moved, I meant to because when I watched the video on the fairly large screen I've got, that's what I saw.

Regarding things going wrong on shots that aren't even all that far.....

One of the longer shots I took at an unwounded mulie was this one, who I could see was bunched up and ready to move, but I'd hunted hard for a few seasons looking for a buck this age class and felt I "deserved" it so I took the shot.

I was prone resting on a stump so the rest was good for a lung shot, but between the time it took my brain to tell the finger to pull, the lock time of the rifle, the bullet's flight - 165gr BT out of a .308 Norma at 3100fps - it turned into a liver/gut shot Leighton.

We chased that thing into a blowdown shin tangle canyon nightmare where I hit it again about an hour later.

It turned into a further nightmare when buddy who had just got out of surgery fell on the fresh snow, so we got one back leg out, went down the mountain to get some help and returned in the dark with his two teenage sons and my usual hunting partner.

My face sort of tells the story here of how happy I am with myself over it all Leighton.

[Linked Image]

Anyways I am truly glad you got that bison and that you shared the hunt story with us as well as these latest post mortem results.

Hopefully it's okay I shared my story as another example of "stuff happening" sometimes when we hunt.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Hopefully it's okay I shared my story as another example of "stuff happening" sometimes when we hunt.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

My friend Dwayne, I've looked forward to and read every post you've made here for well more'n a decade now. That includes this last one, where your experiences, sentiment and feelings I welcome, understand and appreciate very much. As always, thanks to you for taking the time to post. Best regards to you and yours from me and mine, sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That shot was taken at only around 250 yards. Makes me think that long range shots (for me, that's anything over maybe 400) and the accompanying bullet flight times can make for some bad results, even if the shot itself--when taken--was perfect. Critters move.

Anyway, food for thought, maybe. Sorry this isn't a 'have you ever...' type post.
I don't call Burns "Johnnie MIC'Gutshot" for nothing.
Animals move at the shot all the time. The further away, the more they move before impact.

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was going to refrain from commenting as i didn't get to the party in time ( i don't make the ferry schedules), but i did get to enjoy the hunt in my own way. By the time i got to Anchorage all that was left was Elephant gin and meat. I believe i feasted 4 times on the spoils of Leighton's hunt😁 emaciated or not, the meat was excellent. I must have watched "the video" a dozen times. I do agree it was the best, worst shot ever. 🥂
Well done my friend.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 28 of 29 1 2 26 27 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.