Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
With the Air Force leading the way. As am aside, a good friend of mine has hours to live. Vietnam era Naval Aviator, flew F/RF-8s in Vietnam and holder of the Silver Star and four Distinguished Flying Crosses, so I'll just leave this here"

link

Post script" At least one of our members here, holds that decoration, not me. If I did, I'd give it back. How I despise democrats

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has been a long time since most military medals have meant anything. Hell, I have seen admin types with 8 rows of ribbons and operators with a long track record of bravery, heroism and hard work with 3. Anymore when anyone 0-4 and above transfers they are gifted a damn MSM.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It has been a long time since most military medals have meant anything. Hell, I have seen admin types with 8 rows of ribbons and operators with a long track record of bravery, heroism and hard work with 3. Anymore when anyone 0-4 and above transfers they are gifted a damn MSM.

Not in my Navy. The MSM was known as a "Post Command" award. or at least for an 0=5 Department head on a carrier. Don't confuse "been there done that" ribbons with awards/decorations. The AF has been noxious for giving out ribbons....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handing out medals like it's candy these days, it's fuqing embarrassing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That situation was such a CF they are desperately trying to put some good spin on it.

Sorry for your friend.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Participation trophy. I'm shocked.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
You’re not wrong. It’s common for BN staff in theater to receive bronze stars. I’m not impressed unless there is a V device. When I got in, the BSM was very impressive. Others are similarly watered down. Like others here I’ve known those who earned what they wear, and those who wear more than they’ve truly earned. I’m aware of someone who served in Afghanistan who pressured a subordinate into a Silver Star recommendation to facilitate his future political career. Fortunately, none of the sworn statements supported it, and it wasn’t awarded. Downgraded to a CAB IIRC. One troop in that same firefight was recommended for, and awarded an ARCOMV. Reading the statements, it should have been a BSMV. I took all mine off the uniform when I retired, and won’t put them back on. My last trip before the O6 board, my COS asked if I thought another MSM would help, and said he’d put me in for one if I thought it would help. I told him no. Most of my awards lost all value at that moment.

Old70

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Damn. 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surprised the mother wasn't a natural born male, giving birth to a turd
baby.
Implanted the night before by his/her husband/wife.

No part of that is intended to slight our honorable service folks.

In Bidens's military, it is unfortunately possible.

If a man can be a woman, and a woman can be a husband,
a turd could be a baby.

Sad, sick, depraved world we live in.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This from the article:

"Typically, Air Mobility Command service members assist combat operations indirectly and do not often see the kind of action that makes them eligible for the award. "

Well that's kind of the point, isn't it? I've never served in the military but I thought combat medals were given to those who were in combat?
...and what about all those midwives around the world who help deliver babies everyday in worse conditions than on that C-17 flight. Should they all get medals too?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Air Force gives basic grads a ribbon--WTF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does that baby get U.S. citizenship now?

Lindsey Graham was wondering ...........

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by old70
You’re not wrong. It’s common for BN staff in theater to receive bronze stars. I’m not impressed unless there is a V device. When I got in, the BSM was very impressive. Others are similarly watered down. Like others here I’ve known those who earned what they wear, and those who wear more than they’ve truly earned. I’m aware of someone who served in Afghanistan who pressured a subordinate into a Silver Star recommendation to facilitate his future political career. Fortunately, none of the sworn statements supported it, and it wasn’t awarded. Downgraded to a CAB IIRC. One troop in that same firefight was recommended for, and awarded an ARCOMV. Reading the statements, it should have been a BSMV. I took all mine off the uniform when I retired, and won’t put them back on. My last trip before the O6 board, my COS asked if I thought another MSM would help, and said he’d put me in for one if I thought it would help. I told him no. Most of my awards lost all value at that moment.

Old70

How many Bronze stars do you have? Nugget

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BS writ large.

Snatched a downed crew in the A Shau Valley one day and we all survived...well, except for the chopper. Highly perforated it was. Didn't even get a free drink at the club that night.

That didn't keep me from getting puke drunk though.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just imagine the heroism of that pilot in landing that plane so smoothly knowing that there were now 271 souls on board instead of 270. Amazing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Get used to regular "new lows" for the military, the police, and other government agents.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
At a minimum it is a misuse of the DFC - although the act occurred on an aircraft, it's not aviation related, if anything it's more about humanitarian recognition. In my opinion, it certainly is a "devaluating" gesture to the to those who've been awarded the DFC for all the right reasons.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Distinguished Flying Cross recipients have received this prestigious medal for their heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Armed Forces.

[Linked Image from history.navy.mil]

I just sent the DFC society the link and asked them if they were aware of this FARCE.

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/22/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on what puss-nut feels like writing the fuggin decoration.

Many “operators” end up with humanitarian medals with umpteen devices because thats what non sanctioned operations end up being under the guise of.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
DFC for delivering a baby?

Give me a break!

I Delivered 4 of 'em in the ambulance when I was a paramedic. The mommy does most of the work. I guess I should get the Distinguished Driving Cross.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.