Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Captain Jeff Rogers of Kona, HI. passed away suddenly Mid-December of 2022.

I noticed his post had stopped and researched his name.

Rest in Peace Jeff.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Mike Smith-Hasbeen1945 passed away about two weeks ago. He was as good of a man as I had ever met. Hunted, fished, family man, married over 50 yrs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What a story and a testament to Greg. I bought a Marlin 336 A-DL from him back in 2015. I could tell , from the few conversations we had had, that he was a stand-up guy but this story really blows me away about his character. Thanks for posting Seafire. RIP brother Greg

Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by ilikguns
RIP doctor Encore

Greg was a stand guy. Willing to help out anybody with anything. Spent a lot of his free time passing on his hunting and fishing knowledge on to the local Boy Scouts. Our conversations always ended with him bragging about his kids and grandkids enjoying the outdoors with him. He will be missed!

Yeah, I knew about the loss of Greg. Meet him several times on my trips back home to Virginia.
That was a gut punch.... We also talked a lot about Scouts, as I am involved with them here in Oregon. and our sons.
Greg was an inspiration in a lot of ways, on a lot of topics.

RIP Greg... you will be sorely missed at my campfire my friend.

best regards... and will see ya again, if I manage to make it up there...

For some reason, wide awake at 4 AM this morning.. guess because I have one hell of a busy schedule over the next 72 hours. Just the last three pages, I have re seen names of folks I have known and interacted with over a long time here on the fire...

Just reading of Greg, Doc Encore.. Just a little example of some of the people I have known here is exemplified with Greg as an example and representative of the type of people I've known on the campfire.

Back in 2010, My son wanted to attend the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts National Camporee. Our council here in Oregon the price for that to attend, was about $3500. My son didn't want us to pay for that, but knew at 16 he could never come up with the money. So I bought up the suggestion about why not apply to go as Camp Staff, and suggested the rifle range.
He applied and was shocked when he was accepted. I think the cost was $400.00 and he had to pay his ticket there and back. Mom and Dad took care of that.

The cheapest ticket we could get was to fly him out of Seattle to Baltimore. He was to fly out at 10 PM, and it is a 500 mile one way trip from home to Seattle... So I drove him up there... We got stuck in Portland for 3 plus hours in traffic at the end of day rush hour. Then get him to the SeaTac Airport...The lines to get your ticket and then getting thru air port security, was slower than mud, and no one on staff at the Airport really gave a crap... I stayed with my son until he got thru Airport Security. I left him at 11 PM. to head 500 miles home.

I had stopped at a Rest Area on took a nap. I got a call from him and he had been bumped off his flight because they had over booked it. He is busy freaking out, as this is a totally new experience for him and he's alone not knowing what to do..
I have no way of to contact family back in Virginia that had promise to pick him up at the airport and then drive him down to Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, near where they live.

Greg and I had never met, but I had his number and he told me to call him when ever I might need his help on ANYTHING.
Well I was up "[bleep] without a paddle" and had a freaked out son 100 miles away at SeaTac over night. They had told him they would get him on the next flight out. I called Greg at 4 AM east coast time, and surprised he even answered his phone. I told him my situation. He instantly told me he would pick him up in Baltimore and get him the 75 miles down to Camp A.P. Hill To call my son and give him Greg's number and Greg would meet him at the gate the flight number was scheduled to be at.

I called my son back at told him I had arranged someone to pick him up, when ever he got in to Baltimore Airport. Gave him Greg's number. My son was bumped off the next FOUR overbooked flights. When he finally got airborne, I called Greg back and gave him the flight info. He drove 60 miles to pick up my son, then took him down to my relatives home in Virginia, as the camp was not yet open for the Jamboree...

When it was time for my son to fly home, my relatives called me and told me they had some sort of emergency and couldn't take Jonathan back to Baltimore Airport for him to fly home....my own darn family.... I called Greg and told him of the situation this time.... The Gentlemen tells me he is glad I called him. He went down and picked up my son, brought him to his home and then took him to the Airport in Baltimore for his flight home....

I use this as an example to not only show what a gentleman Greg was... We had never met at that point, but we had conversed over PMs for several years... Scouting involvement as a common basis...But Greg is a perfect example of the quality of folks I have met and gotten to know on the campfire over the 19 years I've been on this web site.

it was a blessing to know the many folks, who are the types shown exactly like Greg's example... as I read the names on this entire thread of folks who have passed before us. Even if they were someone I didn't know, I am sure they are an example of the folks I have been blessed with to be able to know...

Plenty of arguments and slander on these threads any more at the campfire is typical. But when push comes to shove and a member is in need of help, there is never a shortage of someone willing to help out with no limits. Even times like this.

To Greg and ALL the campfire members I've been blessed to know and meet in my travels and time here, each of us are truly blessed to have the bonds we develop here, with despite all their faults, are the best folks many of us have ever known.

to the folks who I have known who are no longer here, and to those that are still with us. I thank each of you for your friendship, and the blessings of having known all I have ever met....

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just heard John Petrello passed away yesterday. Went by John P on the campfire.
RIP CWO Petrello!

Last edited by DavePrice; 09/03/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

B
B
Originally Posted by DavePrice
RIP CWO Petrello!

God Rest His Soul...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

What an amazing life he lived.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to everyone who posts about the lost Fire friends.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t come here often, but this visit has been very sobering.

While I haven’t made any close friends here at the fire, and have met only a few …..there are so many names within these pages that I recognize and enjoyed reading their posts/contributions.

I only yesterday saw that BoggyCreekRanger had passed. I only knew BCR as a friend of Sonny or 270 whom I met many years ago.

It hurts to read about the passing of so many that greatly contributed to the Campfire…..all are missed! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
RIP CWO Petrello!
My Condolences to his family, I read his posts for years.

IC B3

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.