Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JPL4584 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm looking to purchase a new rangefinder.

I've had a SIG Kilo 2000 for a little over five years. It's been a great unit as far as ranging speed and accuracy, but the display is getting nearly impossible to read on both ends of the read out. The unit has been well taken care of and hasn't been abused or damaged. It hasn't been used a whole lot, and I'm pretty sure it's still on its original battery. I contacted SIG about the problems that I'm having with it and they're not going to warranty it and can't/won't service it. The only thing they've offered me was a 20% discount off of a new unit of my choice, which isn't anything special considering I can buy about any of their rangefinders cheaper any day from Cameraland than I can ordering directly from SIG with the discount.

I called Cameraland today and talked with them about my options and they thought a newer model of SIG would work for me, but I'm a little hesitant to buy another SIG considering my track record with the one I have and SIG's refusal to do something about it.

I also spoke with Cameraland about the new Athlon rangefinders and am interested in how they're working.

How is everyone getting along with the newer SIG units? What about the Athlons? Are there any other brands/models that I need to look into? What's working for everyone and what would you suggest?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If Leica falls within your budget, bought a 2800.com from Doug at Cameraland and have been really pleased with it.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The new Sig 6K's,absolutely DESTROY all fhuqking things Geovid and are simply fhuqking sensational. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Thank me later. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JPL4584

I've had a SIG Kilo 2000 for a little over five years. It's been a great unit as far as ranging speed and accuracy, but the display is getting nearly impossible to read on both ends of the read out. The unit has been well taken care of and hasn't been abused or damaged. It hasn't been used a whole lot, and I'm pretty sure it's still on its original battery. I contacted SIG about the problems that I'm having with it and they're not going to warranty it and can't/won't service it. The only thing they've offered me was a 20% discount off of a new unit of my choice, which isn't anything special considering I can buy about any of their rangefinders cheaper any day from Cameraland than I can ordering directly from SIG with the discount.

I called Cameraland today and talked with them about my options and they thought a newer model of SIG would work for me, but I'm a little hesitant to buy another SIG considering my track record with the one I have and SIG's refusal to do something about it.

I also spoke with Cameraland about the new Athlon rangefinders and am interested in how they're working.

How is everyone getting along with the newer SIG units? What about the Athlons? Are there any other brands/models that I need to look into? What's working for everyone and what would you suggest?

If Sig isn't willing to make it right with you, I'd look elsewhere. Someone suggested the Leica 2800, I'd also suggest a Leica. I am really liking the 2400. It ranges very quickly and accurately. I've ranged out to 2400 yards with mine with no issues. The glass is excellent in any light conditions and the read out is easy to see. Leica makes some great rangefinders. I've been having fun with my new Leica range finding binoculars as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm dealing with Sig's attempt at customer service as we speak. My 2200 BDX has the fading readout problems outlined above, and it won't range for squat in cold temps around freezing and below. I talked to Sig CS, and even though I've owned it for a shade over 2 years, they're claiming it's beyond the 5 yr warranty period because the warranty starts from the date of manufacture. That's a steaming pile of crap way to treat customers who think they have a legit 5 yr warranty. Sad thing is when it worked it ranged much more reliably than any of the Geovid's I tried (3). Since they're all made with Chinacom electronics, I'd probably go with the one with the best service/warranty, and that ain't Sig.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting about your experiences with Sig. Very valuable info.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
J
JPL4584 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm dealing with Sig's attempt at customer service as we speak. My 2200 BDX has the fading readout problems outlined above, and it won't range for squat in cold temps around freezing and below. I talked to Sig CS, and even though I've owned it for a shade over 2 years, they're claiming it's beyond the 5 yr warranty period because the warranty starts from the date of manufacture. That's a steaming pile of crap way to treat customers who think they have a legit 5 yr warranty. Sad thing is when it worked it ranged much more reliably than any of the Geovid's I tried (3). Since they're all made with Chinacom electronics, I'd probably go with the one with the best service/warranty, and that ain't Sig.

SIG did the exact same thing with my unit. I purchased it in 2017, but they said it was made in 2014. The rangefinder was great when it was new, but this experience doesn't speak too well for SIG and their customer service.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've been running Leica's for more than a decade. Started with the 1600 then the 1600B handhelds. Moved to the Geovid 10x42 HD-B and ran them for 7 years. Moved into the Geovid 3200.coms and really enjoyed them, using them weekly for 16 months. During a 1 or 2 day NRL/PRS, etc., type match i'd lase several hundred times per weekend. Back in April, at a match they started to give me ranging problems. Leica sent a prepaid call tag and I had a new pair about 5-6 weeks later. I now own the Geovid 10x32 Pro's and I could not be happier, having used them to kill a buck at 588 yds and a cow elk at 630 yds. I could sit for hours and hours with them on a tripod and never get tired eyes.

Alan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rest assured,their is NO fhuqking,like Leeker Geovid QC fhuqking. Hint.

If you Brokedicks are crying over a 2200 BDX,you better rethink it all. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m a big fan of the Leica crf mine is a 1600 that they warranty replaced my 1000 after my pup chewed the eyepiece. When Sig, Vortex & Leupold rangefinders struggle my Leica still works well enough to find a hunting range. The glass clarity is better & it functions reliably in tough conditions. When it says 500 it is 500 & I don’t give it a 2nd thought.

IC B3

J
JPL4584 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks everyone for the input! This gives me some options to consider it. I couldn't have been happier with my SIG when it was new, but it's looking like it may have turned out to be one of those too good to be true deals.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Why not put a new battery in it and see how it works?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
JPL4584 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Why not put a new battery in it and see how it works?[/quote]

I tried that and it didn't help any.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've run the old Leica 1200 for years with no complaints. Battery is changed every hunting season to eliminate all variables. That said, the Sig Kilo 6K looks amazing, and would take a piece of gear off my belt -- nice! Doug has a great price on them right now, even though they're backordered.

My 8x binocs are Minox HDs from Germany, and they are good glass. I wonder how the Sig compares optically? As far as range finding goes, it would be lots better to range at 1000 yards and less 99% of the time than it would be to range at 2000 yards 75% of the time smile

The sun here in AZ makes it tough on rangefinders sometimes.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Leica CRF 1000 has worked great for years. New battery every 2 years whether it needs it or not.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quit chinsing around and buy a Vectronix and don’t look back.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Sig 2000 just quit after several years of not being babied. Cabela's had the BDX2200 on sale for $249, so I snagged one. I am pleased so far, just playing with it. It has a faster laser than the 2000 did and ranges stuff more accurately than my 2000, due to a bit smaller circle. I wish that they used a crosshair, or a dot as the aiming point, but not really an issue for the ranges that I deal with.

Gotta love Cabela's credit card points. grin

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Change the battery..

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by sbhooper
My Sig 2000 just quit after several years of not being babied. Cabela's had the BDX2200 on sale for $249, so I snagged one. I am pleased so far, just playing with it. It has a faster laser than the 2000 did and ranges stuff more accurately than my 2000, due to a bit smaller circle. I wish that they used a crosshair, or a dot as the aiming point, but not really an issue for the ranges that I deal with.

Gotta love Cabela's credit card points. grin

My Sig 2000 took a chit on Sunday. Spent the day in the rain and it completely fogged up. Tried to dry it out but it's toast. Leica 2400-R will be here today.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

SIG did the exact same thing with my unit. I purchased it in 2017, but they said it was made in 2014. The rangefinder was great when it was new, but this experience doesn't speak too well for SIG and their customer service.

Just to be fair....update......Sig finally relented and is sending me a Kilo5k as warranty replacement. Since I have another RF already, I may sell it BNIB in case someone is interested.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 32 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,540
Posts18,531,171
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.