Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 1,842 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 1841 1842
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I shot this 159lb 6 pt. Dont know what I was thinking out in the woods, laying a gun accross his face? 8:30 AM sat. What a wonderful morning in the woods.

He just crossed infront of me at 50 to 60 yards. I had seen my Aunt walking just a little befor and had to wait for him to get well past where she was. Picked a spot in the sunshine and when he steped in, Bang. Accross the top of the heart( right where I was aiming wink Kick and drop.

Had a opertunity for a similar buck sunday night but wasnt going to pull the trigger on sombody elses tag unless it was Big.

Never did find the big swish, had to use a sleeping bag . Got cold when I went out to pee at night.

My four year old was asking me to cook deer meat before I had the car unpacked.

Cant wait for next weekend!

Tzone, I thought of you and you hunting partner while on stand.
Hope your hunt was healing.

Rooster, HELL OF A BUCK! good job!

Dave, I hate it when you do all you can do , and still cant find them.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Awsome swish, (can i still call you swish even if you lost the swish costume?)

is dat one of dose tree huntret savage's?
da tree huntret?

I was using an old pointy bullet lever myself but my story is missing the happy ending part..

I'll be back out there soon though & I'll get em.

I'll "catch one"

catch a deer.... man that cracks me up.

makes me "smile like heck".

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
gd,

nice buck. no worries about the sling across the face. we can still see the good part. nice heavy horns. I wish I would have seen one like that, talked to Luke about it but he must have been in his own stand because all I saw was a spike with brow tines. Had fun though. spent time with family and that is what it is really about.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, you should be pleased with your self. My Uncle lurks around the 24. I was called "swish" by him, all weekend. Can you guess why?

Dats a mighty .308 Im shooting, but its overkill. 30-30 could do what i need, just fine.

When I walked into the house, My cousin Carrie, who is a fine deer hunter herself, looked at the smile on my face and said tounge in cheek "Did you catch one?"

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
gd,

Had fun though. spent time with family and that is what it is really about.

]

Yes, next weekend with grampa!

Remembering The 99
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Dave, you should be pleased with your self. My Uncle lurks around the 24. I was called "swish" by him, all weekend. Can you guess why?

Dats a mighty .308 Im shooting, but its overkill. 30-30 could do what i need, just fine.

When I walked into the house, My cousin Carrie, who is a fine deer hunter herself, looked at the smile on my face and said tounge in cheek "Did you catch one?"

smile

that's good stuff right there.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks G_D. That is a nice buck yourself! Congratulations! I love those choclate racks! I'm curious about the gun too. That is an awesome looking rifle.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ha Ha that is funny and ironic. That is what my kids say everytime I come home from bowhunting. Did ya catch a deer Dad??
Or phesansts.....Did ya catch any Dad??

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a 1957 Savage 99 F in 308. Toped with a Vari-x II 2-7 in a old redfield swing mount. I keep thinking that I should put a better mount on it, but it holds zero, so I leave it alone. I like it.

Remembering The 99
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
very classy rig.

I have a fx-4 loopy on my .308 win 88, I'll find out about how well it's holding zero tonight when i get home.

until i know, I have been carrying ole trusty, M70 FWT terdy oh six w/burris b-plex 3-9 40mm.

long distance precision hole driller, she never lets me down.

Something clever here.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GD,

Where about ya guys hunting at?

Gaviidae_Esq, put the whacking to 3 slickheads over the weekend, and this weekend we are heading to NoDak for opener there. Once we get back I plan to get serious for here.

bd

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
GD,

I too dig the rig. every time I see one for sale I play with it , but somthing alwas comes up and I don't buy it. would like to have one in .300 or .308, i have 3 .308's already though. none are in a 99:) maybe I can talk myself into one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are strange-looking rifles, to me... I don't get it. Must be an east coast thing! We don't see too many of them over here in the west...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I dunno, just like 'em I guess. pretty far from the east coast in wi. can't really give you a good answer other than I like them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From what I understand the 99 was popular up here also possibly due to the scandinavian immigrants. There are quite a few floating around usually in .300 Savage.

I know of several being used right now and ran into a guy last night at one of the local sporting good stores who is looking for one.

Have never fired one but am considering it probably in .308.

bd

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are obviously nice rifles- don't get me wrong- they just look really funny to me. Must be an acquired taste. But what can I say, I shoot a BLR!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you are looking for a savage 99, don't turn your nose up at a good 300 savage in your 308 search. My first 99 was a 308 and it is fairly stout kicking, but my 300 I recently bought is very pleasant to shoot and low recoil. Stock shape has a lot to do with it acording to my gunsmith.
My gunsmith did a repair on my 300 and he said it was the origional "short magnum" because the velocities were the same as the 3006 at that time.
h

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Agree, I wanted a F model and found the 308 at a good price but the 300sav is a exelent round for white tail. I love my 99.

Remembering The 99
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hmmm, may have reconsider...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Once again Rooster Congrats that is a Bruiser!
I Really enjoyed your story of the hunt too..

Dave, Sorry to hear about your buck, just think to yourself that it is OK this stuff happens. I've lost my share over the years and its Not easy to forget. Yet mother nature has away of making things right.

You know your cousin had a Blast this weekend up there with you too, and just consider the light from the morning sun peaking over the horizon his way of winking at you eachday.

Now Mr.99, that is a Danday buck too Congrats!

Jeff, those rifles are Very Common here in Mo. and Highly sought after. Very hard to find one forsale round here. Don't have yet as I'm a Marlin guy myself and wish I could take that stainless off your hands! Just alittle too close for Christmas though to be buying right now.

Dave, I saw Alot of deer within feet of me bowhunting in 4 days time but just No shooters close enough except one and he hid behind the treebranches for 20 minutes or so at 35 yards. All in all a Great time but ARRRGGG my meatpole needs to be filled too. Christi and I anxiously await the opening season for gun deer this comming Sat. We'll both be packing Marlin 30 dirtys.. GOOD LUCK ALL!!!

Page 20 of 1,842 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.