-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
First, I'm not anything close to a gunsmith. I'm more of a handy and observant guy who will dabble a bit with his own guns.

Anyhoo, I recently bought a Howa Mini in 300BO and immediately found out that everyone is correct about the Howa magazine system, so I ordered the bottom metal from Oregunsmithing. I received it a few days ago and after some minor inletting on the bottom of the stock, I got it installed, but have a few questions for people who have experience with the Mini/Oregunsmithing combo-

-The actual magazine box is a formed strip of aluminum and is not welded/joined at the rear, meaning width of the box is controled by how the box sits inside the bottom of the action and the top of the BM, (bottom metal). I'm assuming that they're all built this way?

-The magazine box almost seems a touch tall. Common wisdom here has it that the box should be more or less floating between the action and BM so as not to apply accuracy-robbing torque on the action. Has anyone seen the need to shorten the height of the mag box with this setup?

-I'm having issues with the rear/head of the cartridges not being lifted high enough for the bolt to catch them when trying to chamber a round. When I spoke to Wayne York while placing the order for the BM, he mentioned that the 300BO sometimes takes some massaging for proper feeding with this setup. Has anyone else seen this? If so, what's the solution?

It almost makes sense to me that if the magazine box was a touch narrower, the cartridges would stack in a bit more vertical arrangement and bind less on the sides of the box, thus rising to position easier. Am I on the right track here?

-Last, it seems that the follower sits high when unloaded and stops the bolt from being able to be closed unless you push it down with a thumb while closing the bolt. It reminds me of a semiautomatic that holds the bolt open after the last round is fired. Seems odd to me. Maybe changing the leading angle of the follower would be the ticket, but I'm looking for input before I start modifying anything.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by bruinruin; 11/25/22.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Start At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Thank me later...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Start At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Thank me later...............
At the risk of getting my ass handed to me, 😀....I'll bite. I'm guessing you're saying to call Wayne, right? I will after the holiday weekend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could,but my pictures are tough to whoop and I explain schit pretty. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In plain normal English, not sure how to translate that other nonsense, call them. They are good people and will walk you through your issues. I had a small issue with my .223 follower being sluggish do to contact with the box, I was going to just relieve it, but decided to call them first. I ended up doing just what I thought I should, but they took the time to discuss and diagnose the issue.

Be safe. Spence

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Or post a pic or two and let ‘stick help you.

NM, I didn’t see those initially.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 11/25/22. Reason: Pics
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Or post a pic or two and let ‘stick help you.

NM, I didn’t see those initially.
I added them later. I sent 'Stick a message.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
How long ago did you buy this? There was an issue with springs not being strong enough, Wayne took care of those, he can tell you if your bm is affected.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.