Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Latest rez hound.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Getting big Sam ! The good news is it probably hasn’t got too many Chihuahua genes. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RUM7
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I like to get a medium poodle and red heeler combo dog.

Probably be a damn smart dog Sam. We had a poodle when I was a kid that was really smart.
And I’ve never been around a dumb heeler. Hard headed maybe, but smart as hell.
I had a heeler when I was young and single. Expensive dog, was given to me free because he was too hard on the cows. My buddy was going to put him down.
Smartest dog I've ever had. Got him at 1 year old. He lived till he was 17. Ypu could talk to him in complete sentences. He'd pick the 3 commands out of the sentence and do them in order. I miss that dude.

Smartest dog I ever had was half red heeler and half coyote. If that sob barked at night, you’d best go outside with a gun in hand.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Let me be a bit more specific on my size requirements. I'm wanting cocker spaniel/miniature schnauzer/dachsund/toy rat terrier/beagle, etc. size. Not cattle dog/mountain cur/greyhound/vizsla size.

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick
Excuse me? I don't know who you think you are, but I'm the one who started this thread and am rightfully the one to set my requirements.

So, I believe that makes you the one who needs to GFY.

Go to a breeder or a shelter and let the dog pick you. You sound so picky that any dog would probably just piss up your leg anyway.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
West Highland White Terrier (Westie).

Had mine for almost 17 years. Great personality - liked everyone. Adapted to everyone in the family. Companion to me; playmate for the son; lapdog for the daughter. In later years, great with my very elderly parents - gentle and patient with them.

Very very intelligent. Incredibly easy to house train.

Almost no shedding.

I'll second this vote!
Lapdog and watchdog Supreme!
He used to catch squirrels when he was younger.
I've owned labs, labradoodles, goldens, etc.
This breed tops them all.
Easy to house-train and entirely too smart for his own good.

Attached Images
Moose.jpg (28.47 KB, 265 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a Feist when I was young. He was hell on a squirrel! About the right size and didn't shed much but they might be more barky than you want.

My first wife had a female Dachshund that was a great house dog, she wouldn't let me take her to woods, always thought she would hunt.

If I were looking for another mutt, the first trait would have to be little or no shedding. Kept a Springer for 13 years. He's been gone 10 years now and I still find his hair once in a while!

Good luck!

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by drover
OP - I had a cocker spaniel for a lot of years, she would have fulfilled your requirements as a quiet, easy to please dog. No drama, nice size and quiet - generally just happy to be near me and have me scratch her head from time to time.
Not the smartest dog I ever owned but I never aspired to own a dog smarter than me anyway. smile

drover

My dogs have generally found me to be easy.... smile

Short-haired Doxies... you won't notice the shedding. Mine have been hunting fools. Squirrels, grouse, hares, caribou. Trained them out of going after moose. They don't like bears much...

Well, maybe between the sheets get a bit itchy, if one is sensitive to that.

Last edited by las; 11/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Let me be a bit more specific on my size requirements. I'm wanting cocker spaniel/miniature schnauzer/dachsund/toy rat terrier/beagle, etc. size. Not cattle dog/mountain cur/greyhound/vizsla size.

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick
Excuse me? I don't know who you think you are, but I'm the one who started this thread and am rightfully the one to set my requirements.

So, I believe that makes you the one who needs to GFY.

Go to a breeder or a shelter and let the dog pick you. You sound so picky that any dog would probably just piss up your leg anyway.
Just stop. Your insults add nothing of substance to this thread and only bring out the worst in the rest of us long-time members who understand how to have an intelligent conversation without the drama.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hookeye
Oldest recently got a female mini Australian Shepherd.
Dog is smart, mellow, and affectionate. Wonderful.

Unlike her male full size Australian Shepherd. That guy is a million miles an hr all the time. Yeeesh.

Yup...the Mini Aussie. Our female goes 35 lbs, about 17/18" tall. Easily the smartest dog I've ever had. Works hard when it's time, but mellows out when it's time for that too.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, tons of drama

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RUM7
I like to get a medium poodle and red heeler combo dog.

Probably be a damn smart dog Sam. We had a poodle when I was a kid that was really smart.
And I’ve never been around a dumb heeler. Hard headed maybe, but smart as hell.
I had a heeler when I was young and single. Expensive dog, was given to me free because he was too hard on the cows. My buddy was going to put him down.
Smartest dog I've ever had. Got him at 1 year old. He lived till he was 17. Ypu could talk to him in complete sentences. He'd pick the 3 commands out of the sentence and do them in order. I miss that dude.

Smartest dog I ever had was half red heeler and half coyote. If that sob barked at night, you’d best go outside with a gun in hand.
At the time I lived out in the middle of an orchard in a house my buddy and I rented from a farmer we knew. That blue heeler would sit at the door and barl when coyotes were out and about. We would just let him out. It sounded like WW3 out in the orchard. Lol. He would always come back in one piece. All sobered up and maybe a cut or two. Always happy as hell to mix it up. And yes, don't approach the truck if he's in the back. It could be hazardous to your health.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had already forgot the question. Sounds like you're seriously taking advise from half drunk cranky guys in the internet. So, get yourself a cocker and call it a day.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by hookeye
Oldest recently got a female mini Australian Shepherd.
Dog is smart, mellow, and affectionate. Wonderful.

Unlike her male full size Australian Shepherd. That guy is a million miles an hr all the time. Yeeesh.

Yup...the Mini Aussie. Our female goes 35 lbs, about 17/18" tall. Easily the smartest dog I've ever had. Works hard when it's time, but mellows out when it's time for that too.

Never seen one of the mini Aussie’s. I bet they are cool.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, tons of drama

Great photo! Labs are some funny knuckleheads.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/25/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- I'm an unabashed Lab/Doxie guy - but the mini -Aussie or Cocker dogs seem to be what you want.. Maybe some others too.

And Critter- that is the most disgusting/funniest Lab pic I've ever seen - and mine were pretty damned good at it!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread… had to put down my buddy “tuffy” a few months ago…when asked if he was a Jack Russell I’d answer no… he was a Bob Barker… really miss the little bastard, but he loved to bark. Tuffys brother Skeeter is just the opposite…he doesn’t make a sound till he’s ripping the ass out of something…

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
45 # lab? mix, and borrow the neighbor's 9 month old mongrel for a day or two? Hardly any trouble at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Up stairs or down. Elmo took a beating tho.

Last edited by las; 11/25/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I read your title...I immediately thought Boykin or Cocker. And, I read all the input and people gave some good advice all the way around.

We've had daschunds in the past...one lived almost 17 years. Did the border collie thing...she lived 14 years, very smart but not cuddly.

Then we got SM's and my wife loves them so we are stuck with that breed...they are good dogs but maybe a little bigger than you want we have four females (43lbs, 46lbs, 46lbs, 44lbs).

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 11/25/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great Christmas photo there Leaky Waders !!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Both young female adults 1+ (the red) 2+ (the blue) years and are just brilliant. I am not a rancher but they do run acreage yet are fine in the house. They are in their kennels sleeping with Momma as I type. They do like their kennels. The blue sheds like hell (semi-annual blow time at the moment), the red not at all. The red midget was the sole survivor of a litter of two. Likely our last dogs.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 50 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.