Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, I can handle a 'missed opportunity' as opposed to a bullet in the head.....

What situations might they be?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No round in the chamber!? Wow.

Not me. The way I typically kill blacktail in no way would allow the chambering of a round...

As 358T says, to each their own.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SH, he as referring, I think, to missing opportunities 'cause of having "solid" scope covers...

Bullet in the head must mean you don't hunt with others who have a round in the chamber?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't have a single pard, including myself, that hunts with one in the chamber.

Never had an issue chambering a round, flipping covers and dropping the hammer in a fluid motion. Course I've been tying my own shoes since a very early age also.....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I also don't hunt with me alone and a round in the chamber. One can go from flat footed to upside down in a hurry around here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever works! I doubt that at least a couple of my blacktail bucks could have been killed by someone who had to chamber a round, but then again maybe you don't share my limitations in that regard. Or there's more deer around up there. Sometimes, for me, even taking the safety off is borderline too noisy. But then I am hunting in very close quarters.

Hey- only 4 months 2 weeks 3 days until twins in Vegas, man!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
why don't you just use a shotgun if you are in such tight quarters? You ever worry about shooting some dude with that style of hunting?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
30 yards away at the most (I'll laser it this weekend), looking straight at me. I chambered a round, popped up the Marbles and threw one into his shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Missed opportunity, we are only talking about deer here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah...but there is no need to have to learn to flip them open while raising the rifle when you have the see thru ones. One less thing to worry about. Also every situation is different and I don't buy the fact that one can do it every single time and in every situation that may arise. Each animal and situation is completely different.

For me the lens covers are opened as I shoulder the rifle regardless of the situation.It is second nature now and requires no extra effort at all.Then again if a person lacks co-ordination,it may be awkward for them to do something else as they shoulder their rifle.Besides,I don't buy good optics to look through cheap plastic covers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
why don't you just use a shotgun if you are in such tight quarters? You ever worry about shooting some dude with that style of hunting?

Are you serious? Are you seriously questioning the idea of hunting with a round in the chamber?

Dude...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...and besides, what good would a shotgun do (in your harebrained scenario where it's dangerous for me to have a round in the chamber) anyway?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, having one in the chamber whilst hunting is just an odd thing for me to do anymore. It has been many a year since I hunted with one in the chamber, sans a ML or shotgun for turkey hunting.

If I fellow is sitting still (blind etc) and feels the need to have one chambered ok, but I just don't believe in having one chambered whilst moving. NONE of the folks I know WELL that hunt keep one chambered.

So the loaded chamber folks are as odd to me as non-hunters.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
and more dangerous.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Are you serious? Are you seriously questioning the idea of hunting with a round in the chamber?

Dude...

-jeff

I was being sarcastic about the shotgun. This has been discussed plenty of times before you showed up. Use the "search" feature and learn something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i like them..only gripe is the bump the bill of my ball cap when I lean into a rifle..maybe my poor technique..but works for me

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Dude...

-jeff

I was being sarcastic about the shotgun. This has been discussed plenty of times before you showed up. Use the "search" feature and learn something.

Boy, you Alaska guys are just CHARMING on a Friday night!

Sheesh.

Most of us hunt with a round in the chamber. You want to tilt at that windmill, go right ahead but it's pretty silly.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
and more dangerous.

Indeed, there are some guys who shouldn't be walking around loaded.....or one in the chamber wink

I carry hot--always have.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just this monday I was in a ferry terminal that had a good number of people in it. A group was checking in at the drive in window and I was at the counter. One of the guys in the group at the window was messing with his rifle and it discharged a mere 20ft away from me. Scared most everybody in the terminal and I consider myself lucky to not have taken a hunting round to the face.

The gent whose rifle discharged looked nice and experienced. I'm sure he had done whatever he did a thousand times before without a discharge. But, [bleep] do/can happen when you have a hot rifle.

If you think charging through the woods taking snap shots at whatever jumps up is smart, please stay the [bleep] away from me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin...

Boy do you have a bee in your bonnet.

I don't think charging through the woods taking snap shots at whatever jumps up is smart, so just stop implying that I and the other 90+ percent of hunters who carry hot are bozo's, please. You are being deliberatly provocative for reasons of your own- that a YOU problem, not a me problem, and if you think you can isult your way into winning this debate, think again. Whether a person carries hot or not has NOTHING to do with whether they would do that- take snap shots at whatever moves- NOTHING. Use your head. It has to do with whether they are an idiot or not. An idiot can chamber a round and take snap shots at whatever moves, too.

I will do my best not to get sucked into the argumentative cesspool you are trying to create. When I say that some of the bucks I have killed would not have been taken by someone who had to chamber a round, it's not because I am taking snap shots at them. It's because I am in close proximity to them, in dense cover, and the noise that chambering a round would make would scare away the deer. Plain and simple. As I said before (if you were listening, which you are not) even the sound of the safety coming off is pretty dicey when you have a suspicious blacktail buck 20 or 30 yards away- how and where I hunt them. I have put some practice into ways of clicking (or rather, not clicking) my Model 7's safety silently because it's a significant issue. I'm sure things are different where you are. Do you realize that things are different where I am?

At the heart of this is proper gun handling. Carrying a round in the chamber while hunting is not improper gun handling.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A group was checking in at the drive in window and I was at the counter. One of the guys in the group at the window was messing with his rifle and it discharged a mere 20ft away from me.

There is a huge difference between having a loaded gun in a vehicle,and hunting with a round in the chamber.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.