Print Thread
Hop To
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have a CZ 55 American in 6.5x55 and need a new scope for it. It has been my truck gun for a long time. I've been using an old Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. It is my brush/Pig/WT/Yote gun so it rarely shoots more than about 250 yards. But it does get shot a lot, so while I don't really need to dial it, robust internals would be nice. Glass good enough to see and pick out details in the early morning late evening would be best. The Nikon has been a solid scope. I kind of wish they still made them. Let's try and keep it under $1000 please.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Surely a good rec by Doug, but you don't need to spend $1K for those specs IMO.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

That is a 30MM tube yes? Do you have CZ rings in 30MM?

H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

What would you recommend?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Right ....... Any decent 3-9 would be a good choice.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug has the Optika 5 2-10 on sale
Vx3i with CDS?

Last edited by Dre; 11/26/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Call Scott at Liberty Optics

Steiner Predator 4 4-16x50

You will be pleased with the price and the scope!!

H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug has the Optika 5 2-10 on sale
Vx3i with CDS?
I had two VX3is fail straight out of the box. No thanks. I don't know If I got a bad batch or there was a new guy assembling that day or what. I won't buy another VX3i though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
100% the Nightforce SHV Doug recommended. I just bought one from him that will go on my truck gun.

IC B3

H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 338rcm

I've wondered about the Steiner scopes. I have a set of their binoculars and like them quite a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HadsDad

I've wondered about the Steiner scopes. I have a set of their binoculars and like them quite a bit.

The Steiner Predator 4 Riflescopes are excellent and dependable.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
100% the Nightforce SHV Doug recommended. I just bought one from him that will go on my truck gun.

Can't go wrong with that scope or vendor.

For quite a bit less money, this Trijico Credo 3-9x40 is small in size and weight and plenty stout.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...on-Hunter-1-in-Matte-Black-Riflesco.aspx

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HadsDad

These are awesome scopes and Scott has unbeatable prices and service!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
'Dad,

Before the current fascination with long range hunting (of which I am a part), nobody turned turrets. When we started turning them, and testing them, it became clear that many of the scopes we had hunted with for years didn't track with the authority needed to repeatedly hit using the range-and-dial method. So manufacturers either 1) faked it; or 2) made scopes with more robust tracking. In fact, the average scope may track better these days because many buyers are looking at this aspect.

Take a look at the average shooter demographic -- lots and lots of folks spend time ranging and dialing at the range a couple times per month. That's a big design standard to fill. And lots of other shooters value the opinions of this type of shooter, FWIW.

It is possible to put very good glass in a scope that has merely adequate tracking hardware -- meaning you set the zero and the scope holds it, exactly what is needed to hit at 300 yards and less. A 6.5 x 55 (wonderful!) is very easy on scopes.

If I were in your shoes, first I would check out the classifieds here. If you want a warranty, honestly I would call Eric at Cameraland and discuss their Black Friday and open box items. You can get better glass than that Nikon for less than $1K. And no flies on the Nikon at all. A 3 x 9 x 40 itch has never been easier to scratch. Also, it would be smart to avoid all the schizophrenic reticles out there. They're nuts. Get some version of the duplex and hunt it. Personally, I would avoid the illuminated ones also, unless there's a good deal. Not worth it unless you are a twilight predator hunter trying to save the chickens.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
'Dad,

Before the current fascination with long range hunting (of which I am a part), nobody turned turrets. When we started turning them, and testing them, it became clear that many of the scopes we had hunted with for years didn't track with the authority needed to repeatedly hit using the range-and-dial method. So manufacturers either 1) faked it; or 2) made scopes with more robust tracking. In fact, the average scope may track better these days because many buyers are looking at this aspect.

Take a look at the average shooter demographic -- lots and lots of folks spend time ranging and dialing at the range a couple times per month. That's a big design standard to fill. And lots of other shooters value the opinions of this type of shooter, FWIW.

It is possible to put very good glass in a scope that has merely adequate tracking hardware -- meaning you set the zero and the scope holds it, exactly what is needed to hit at 300 yards and less. A 6.5 x 55 (wonderful!) is very easy on scopes.

If I were in your shoes, first I would check out the classifieds here. If you want a warranty, honestly I would call Eric at Cameraland and discuss their Black Friday and open box items. You can get better glass than that Nikon for less than $1K. And no flies on the Nikon at all. A 3 x 9 x 40 itch has never been easier to scratch. Also, it would be smart to avoid all the schizophrenic reticles out there. They're nuts. Get some version of the duplex and hunt it. Personally, I would avoid the illuminated ones also, unless there's a good deal. Not worth it unless you are a twilight predator hunter trying to save the chickens.

I'll do that. Thanks for all of the replies.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 63 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.