Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I still think,as with many things in life, bigger is better. I still am very comfortable with a 9 round 45 acp. Don’t have to count on high tech bullet bullet performing to its potential. I am going to get nearly a 1/2 inch hole no matter what. So I will still take a forty over a nine if the platform fits my carry needs that day.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So is the 9 Choice the same as the 270 choice? And what if I like the way a Mass state mandated safety on my 365 looks??????

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The *hoax* was the narrative that the FBI, post Orlando, needed an "upgrade" in pistol caliber. That was really only needed as a diversion from the sorry fact of bad training, among other things.

While I believe that this is true, the 115 grain cup and core bullets the police were carrying back then were not as good as the bonded and heavier bullets on the market today. Those were the result of a lot of R&D. The .40 S&W offered better performance with the bullets of the era in which it was invented and became popular.

I am not a .40 owner. Never wanted one. Never thought I needed one. But, I believe Cheyenne is right in his statement above. Current conditions, in the context of a bygone era, are often overlooked.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Only 40 S&W chambered pistol I had was a Star FireStar way back when. Lively smaller pistol! Haven't had a 40 S&W since then, but that's only because I'm really stuck on 45acp, nothing against a 40 S&W. Would I buy another 40 S&W? If the right "deal" came along I would...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Each person tolerate recoil quite differently for a variety of reasons.

This can be due to physical size, overcoming preconceived ideas about recoil, previous injuries, as well as advancing age and arthritis.

For some people, the .40 does have more recoil than they want to deal with, especially as the handgun gets smaller and lighter, thus magnifying the felt recoil to the shooter.

Same thing with the .45 ACP.

A 185 grain lead semi wadcutter Bullseye load that has a velocity of 725 FPS kicks substantially less than a 250 grain hard cast flat point being driven at 925 FPS, that is used for hunting and large animal defense.

Using the USPSA power factor formula (just as a generic measurement), the 185 grain load has a PF of 134.
The 250 grain flat point has a PF of 231.

That is a substantial difference.

You can choose loads to meet your needs, and there are a variety out there, and some have quite a bit more recoil than others.

I produce a .40 S&W polymer coated 170 grain SWC load that has an average velocity of 1175 FPS. It requires that the user have a fresh, properly working (not worn out) recoil spring. Personally I run a bit heavier than stock.

It was developed for deep penetration, and you can tell a difference between shooting this load and your typical range/paper punching, Walmart ammo, in terms of recoil.

I wanted a load that would be appropriate for carrying in the mountains where there were large bears, then go to town and not have to switch guns. This gun/load combo met those needs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I get it, I have actually never shot a 9 despite having a 19.

If recoil is that much less with the 9 than the 40 it must be a pussy cat. I have had several 40s in both sub compact and full sized, always shot Speer 180 Gold Dot or those Hornady American Gunner.

I know, not a hot load but I venture to guess most 9mm and 40 ammo that is shot by 99% of the people is cheap off the shelf stuff and wouldn't doubt what half of that is fmj stuff, probably why so many gunshot victims linger on before dying or actually survive.

Only small centerfire pistol I have messed with was one of those small Glocks in 380. Too much snappiness for power offered, down the road it went.

I need to get the 19 out and run all of the magazines through it with factory loaded 147 grain HP. If recoil is that much less it should be fun to shoot.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Glock 19 is sort of a gold standard by which various other handguns are judged. It is small enough to be considered a compact, yet large enough to be considered an actual duty size pistol. It can be manipulated by the majority of people, regardless of hand size, is easy enough to shoot well, and has a good on board capacity at 15+1.

I was issued one for years by the .gov while working overseas, and think highly of them, simply in terms of the practical tool that they are. I switch back and forth between the G19 and G17 quite frequently for carry pistols. In the hottest part of the summer, I tend to carry the G19 more due to the nature of what I am wearing.

It is also the smallest pistol that I am willing to get into a stand up gunfight with against 1 or 2 bad guys who are also armed. So it is where I draw the line terms of carry guns. Any smaller (such as the G26/27) and my performance drops off considerably to the point that I do not find it acceptable.

With the .40 cal equivilant, G23 I still find that I perform better with the G19. It is when I get up to the full size frame that I find that the shooting performance is close enough to be acceptable, and I the heavier projectile it can deliver is worth the tradeoff.

I often keep my G19 set up for house duty, loaded with my +P 148 grain hard cast flat point load.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is also the smallest pistol that I am willing to get into a stand up gunfight with against 1 or 2 bad guys who are also armed. So it is where I draw the line terms of carry guns. Any smaller (such as the G26/27) and my performance drops off considerably to the point that I do not find it acceptable.

Couldn't agree more & have taken that position for as long as I can remember. Pocket guns or mouse guns in 9mm or 380 just don't allow me to do what I can do with a bigger guns much more easily & if people are honest with themselves, it really doesn't for them either.

Most are much more concerned with ease of carry, not really concerning themselves as much with the consequences of too small of a gun should the real need to use it arise for them.

The only exception I will make is a J-frame that I sometimes carry as a BUG, or very occasionally, as my only gun for certain occasions, but with larger than standard grips so it has reasonable shootability compared to the very small stock grips.

It's just hard for me to rationalize the mouse guns being of much real use other than maybe touching distance & also just being better than totally unarmed.

JMHO, Other's MMV

MM

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Interesting that he would use the light 115 gr. JHP in the 9mm instead of one of the the more commonly carried 124 gr. or 147 gr. loads. I'd like to see that test with a 147 gr. Fed HST or Speer Gold Dot.

He also used 135gr JHP from the 9mm.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The Glock 19 is sort of a gold standard by which various other handguns are judged. It is small enough to be considered a compact, yet large enough to be considered an actual duty size pistol. It can be manipulated by the majority of people, regardless of hand size, is easy enough to shoot well, and has a good on board capacity at 15+1.

I was issued one for years by the .gov while working overseas, and think highly of them, simply in terms of the practical tool that they are. I switch back and forth between the G19 and G17 quite frequently for carry pistols. In the hottest part of the summer, I tend to carry the G19 more due to the nature of what I am wearing.

With the .40 cal equivilant, G23 I still find that I perform better with the G19. It is when I get up to the full size frame that I find that the shooting performance is close enough to be acceptable, and I the heavier projectile it can deliver is worth the tradeoff.

I often keep my G19 set up for house duty, loaded with my +P 148 grain hard cast flat point load.

Are the finger grooves filed down on that 19?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Couldn't agree more & have taken that position for as long as I can remember. Pocket guns or mouse guns in 9mm or 380 just don't allow me to do what I can do with a bigger guns much more easily & if people are honest with themselves, it really doesn't for them either.

Most are much more concerned with ease of carry, not really concerning themselves as much with the consequences of too small of a gun should the real need to use it arise for them.

The only exception I will make is a J-frame that I sometimes carry as a BUG, or very occasionally, as my only gun for certain occasions, but with larger than standard grips so it has reasonable shootability compared to the very small stock grips.

It's just hard for me to rationalize the mouse guns being of much real use other than maybe touching distance & also just being better than totally unarmed.

JMHO, Other's MMV

MM
You'd be amazed at how shootable this "mouse gun" is:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Must be why I still carry my XD-M 40, a lot of ammo on board.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

JMHO, Other's MMV

MM
You'd be amazed at how shootable this "mouse gun" is:

[Linked Image]

That's why I added "JMHO, Other's MMV".........................lotsa superhero's out in zombie land who always say that.

Get on a clock & check accuracy & speed vs a larger gun & then (honestly) report back.

Not a jab at you really Hawk, but overall, the truth of what Mackay & I both said has been proven over time by lots of shooters, both average Joe's & pros.

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I'd not say I "love" the cartridge, a bunch of pistols and ammo for same do live at my house, though. Wisconsin Surplus Sales blew out a bunch of Glock 22s and ammo for same cheap four years back or so. They are much handier than a New Service launching the same weight- diameter bullet. A brazzillion times less cool, perhaps, but handier.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I never got into 40 because it took me long enough to get into 9mm. And I really didn’t want another caliber to load for. I was weened on 44 mag and 45 colt. The 45 acp. Helll I had a 380 before 9mm.
Ditto.

Speaking of .40's, here's a real .40, a G-40 10mm with 7" KKM barrel for cast bullets, RMR optics and a trigger job. If I was out where varmints with big teeth roamed, this one in a chest holster would be pretty good option, IMO. Grip work by Luke at Sinner's Mass in TX. I didn't care for the OEM finger grooves, like this slimmer configuration better.

For the lead free folks, this one from Cutting Edge sounds interesting. Not cheap, but should do the job.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid

About the smallest 9 I'd consider as a carry piece would be the Sig 365 XL. It's really accurate, has good round capacity and is fairly slim and compact for CCW. With the right ammo, nothing to sneeze at. Like I posted before, beats a sharp stick.

My bud, a retired SWAT LEO sniper, contends the handgun is to fight your way back to the car, get your long gun to terminate the discussion. Not sure that's always an option, but sounds good. In his hands, not a bad option.

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Are the finger grooves filed down on that 19?

Yes,

I prefer a smooth frontstrap so I removed the finger grooves. Not a fancy job from a cosmetic perspective, but (for me), the gun is simply a utility tool so I did not care too much about trying to make it look pretty, only that it met my needs.

Here is another pic. You can sort of see the frontstrap a bit better.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of .380's, this one is cute, IMO and pretty accurate. I set up my Dillon 550B for .380's. Not necessarily a carry piece, but interesting. Has rosewood grips carved and checkered by Errol Case in MO.

I found this used S. D. Myers pig skin lined flap holster on line for a lot less than retail.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like mine...
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I like mine...
That's cool. I've got the 9mm version.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like mine...

[Linked Image]

Those Springfield EMP’s are great little guns. Accurate, Reliable, and easy to conceal.
I traded my 9mm version for the .40 version when they became available. Springfield claimed they were going to offer a .357 Sig drop in conversion barrel as an option for the .40.
Unfortunately, they never did. There still a great little carry gun with all the feel of a true 1911, but at a slightly reduced size.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/27/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like mine...

[Linked Image]

Hawk, your two-tone is on upside down.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.