Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I took my golden boy out to check the sights at 50 yards today. I’ve never shot it much and never to 50 yards off a bench. My hand load is the XTP 240 grain over I believe 24 grains of H110. It’s just below what the Hornady manual lists as max, I remember that I stayed below that level. I needed to lower the elevator all the way down then lower the slide that’s built into the rear sight blade down as low as it can go without being below the body of the rear sight. Are these guns better off with heavy bullets at a lower velocity to match the iron sights? I’m going to hunt with this gun this year. I don’t really care if I kill a deer and this just adds to the challenge if the opportunity comes. I put sling swivels on it today just because. Any experience to share would be appreciated.

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
OK, I am going to do this.

I read your op yesterday afternoon. I knew it was a losing post to begin with.

Dude! what the heck are you trying to convey to us? I'm friggin dizzy due to reading your OP.

The best guess at what you are trying to say/ask is, According to information you find on the internet, the reloads you make for yourself is at .1 of a grain under max loads. Why is my rifle shooting so high that I can't adjust my sights downward enough to stop shooting incredably incredably high?

My best guess at an answer for you. When shooting from a rest on a bench, support the front end of the rifle by using the front grip area and not the BARREL alone. I should be sainted for this.

Last edited by warlock; 11/03/22.

You only think you are alone.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well, basically a factory equivalent load was hitting a foot high when the rear sight was on its second notch for elevation. My hand was holding the fore end. I was curious if this was anyone else’s experience, but I guess throwing chit at someone asking about others using these guns is a bright idea to some. I certainly didn’t mean to upset you with your obviously vast knowledge on this subject.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I don't think I've ever had a set of factory sights that bad, not that I can recall, anyway. My Henry is a 327, and the sights were decent. I ended up putting a Williams FP peep and fine bead front sight on it, though.

You'll have to put a taller front sight on it if your rear is at minimum elevation and you're still hitting that high.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Zcm82 Thank you, after I got that gun I thought I’d put a Williams aperture sight on it even before I shot it much. I’ll look around for a taller front first. Everything I’ve loaded for my 44’s has been 240 grain bullets and this gun puzzled me because somewhere in the middle should have been where they zeroed.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
You'll need a taller front sight anyway if you're gonna put a Williams on it. They have a lot of elevation adjustment, so I typically just throw a .570" up front anytime I stick one on a rifle. That way I know for sure I won't be too high right out of the gate.

Midway has a fairly wide variety of fronts to choose from.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Awesome! I had just looked at Brownells and Henry’s websites. Nothing on either. I’ll measure what I have and get one a little taller.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Williams doesn't make one specifically for Henrys. I used an FP for a Marlin on mine. It fits fine, but the hammer clearance is a bit tight, so you have to be real careful decocking it with gloves on.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I had emailed Henry USA earlier and they responded this afternoon. They have a taller front sight and are sending it to me free. Their website stated the response could be slow but this was just a few hours. Customer service at its best.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Firecontrolman,

I'm sorry for being a prick to you. Please accept my apologies.

You certainly didn't deserve my reply. I wish you the best of luck figuring out your rifle.

Once again, I am sorry that I replied the way I did. Please accept my apology.

I had the same type of sight problem on my Rossi 92 chambered in 44 Rem mag and I ended up buying a front sight from Steve's Guns. The problem being that Steve's Guns sells and works on Rossi's mainly but he may be able to help if the replacement sight from Henry's doesn't work out well for you.

https://stevesgunz.com

Also, I just bought a Henry X chambered in 44 Rem mag specifically to supress and Bear hunt with. The can I bought for the Henry is the Hybrid 46 from Silencer Co. After direct threading the can onto the rifle, my front sight wasn't tall enough to aim my irons at a target without having to try to aim through the can. I know people are comfortable aiming through the can but I am not comfortable hunting like that. The Hybrid 46 is 1.57 inch diameter, Anyway, I found what I needed from Midwest Industries.

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/gun-type/henry-accessories

These are the sights I purchased, https://midwestindustriesinc.com/henry-pistol-x-model-ghost-ring-rail-2x

Also, Ranger Point Precision makes and sell goodies and add ons that may be of interest.

https://rangerpointstore.com/

Once again, I am sorry for my behavior, You certainly didn't deserve what I said. I deserve a swift kick in the ass.

Good luck out there.

You only think you are alone.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Warlock, it’s ok. Everyone has those days, I’m no exception. Henry replied quickly to my questions and asked for the info on the gun and said they’d ship me a taller front sight. I doubt it’ll be here before deer season opens.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good on you for taking the high road!!! Good man!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,902
Posts18,498,116
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.