Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A friend used the "Air Skinner" on a buck I shot prior to me skinning it last week. I thought it definitely helped as the conditions over night were well below freezing and it'd have been slow going.

Anyone use the system and your thoughts?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have seen some videos with deer and coyotes being skinned after inflating with an air compressor. Never tried it so can't say first hand. My impression from watching videos is that I would spend more time setting up the air system then just getting the job done. I do use a winch system in my fur/meat room off the garage so I don't worry as much about cold/stiff critters. This is a video I took a few days ago with a deer that had been hanging out in the cold overnight.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Great video and setup thanks for posting

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy pass. Skin em within a few hours of being killed, preferably within an hour of tripping the trigger for me but I hunt close to the house too.

I have never left one hang overnight.

No reason for me to delay a 10 minute job.

I get that some aren't close to the house but I cannot see a reason to leave the hide on any longer than I have to. Easier skinning when still somewhat warm

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/29/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
A friend used the "Air Skinner" on a buck I shot prior to me skinning it last week. I thought it definitely helped as the conditions over night were well below freezing and it'd have been slow going.

I have been doing it for years. I put a small slit in all 4 legs and sometimes the back of the neck. Blow them up like a July road kill and hang them in the tree head down. I can skin them days later and the skin basically falls off with very little effort by me.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bbassi

I have been doing it for years. I put a small slit in all 4 legs and sometimes the back of the neck. Blow them up like a July road kill and hang them in the tree head down. I can skin them days later and the skin basically falls off with very little effort by me.

I always figured the air would escape at the wound…is that not so?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MedRiver

Or up the middle from azzhole to chin wherever you split em.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MedRiver

Very little does. All the deer I've done are field dressed too. They still plump right up. Sometimes you'll get a little air escaping before they are fully inflated but usually I can just hold my hand over the wound and "plug" it long enough to finish what I'm doing.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, excellent video & shop! I only do three-four a year and don't have the need or height to have a set up like that. I hunt about 90 minutes from home, sometimes I skin & quarter at camp then stick in the cooler but that isn't always feasible. Between family and other obligations the skin stays on for a couple days in colder conditions. I've probably done 125 or more in my shed over the years and always got the job done but my buddy said he'd show me how it worked and it seemed pretty slick. Just curious if others had experience with the air skinner.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Thanks...it is kind of weird how they blow up, looked alive again. 'Cept for the lack of innards. lol

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.