-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try shooting that target with a different gun.
Or a different paper with that gun.

I had some that would tear an elongated hole like that.
Drove me half nuts, thinking it was the bullets, then the gun,
by accident I went shooting one day and had no targets.

Grabbed some piece of paper and no long holes?
Light bulb came on, another session confirmed it was the paper.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
HR IC

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I can shoot it with other guns, i havent had that particular problem yet but definitely a possibility. It did hit paper yesterday at 100 yards and made a round hole, was way off but one hit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Stick is right. Bullet length is what affects stabilization not weight. The 115gn Ballistic Tip is a long bullet and the German heritage of the rifle would almost guarantee it has a 12 twist. Isn't that why Hornady made the 117gn round nose bullet, to shorten the length for 12 inch twist barrels? Measure the twist with the old cleaning rod technique which is pretty simple.

So, it's either shoot shorter bullets or rebarrel with a 10 inch twist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Thatguy12
To make sure i understand correctly, i need the 100 grain interlocks correct? They look like thats the only spire point currently? If this does work, does anyone wanna buy some weatherby 100gr ttsx rounds? Ive got a new box and one at around half, ill get specific count if anyone is interested

Yes if you can get them If not try any other 100 grain bullet.

A chaplain, station in Germany with me, had the same issue and he used the 117 Hornady ROUND NOSE for chamois hunts. The 117 RN is a very short bullet and the 1:12 RPM did well with them.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
100g Hornady FLAT BASE works in the 12T. 80g barnes ttsx with R#19 is awesome in the 12T. 100g TTSX will NOT work in the 12T, neither will any BT 100g Bullet...I have tried. 117g Sierra Semi Point will indeed work in the 12T, if you can find any.

I suspect that the barrel is LOADED with copper fouling.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I ran about 20 swabs with a copper defouler through it, first couple were black, rest were blue. Last couple were alot paler blue than the rest, so i stopped there, sprayed with bore brite, swabbed it good, ran a brush through it, and then ran a couple of the rem oil wipes through it

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mines a west german so I'm guessing it falls on the older spectrum, as far as reboring to 270 or 7mm, will the bolt and mag work? Or will i have to pick up others

It also will not shoot 100gr Barnes TTSXs. That is why weatherby used the 117gr RN on their old 257s because the longer bullets would not stabilize. They fixed that when they changed the twist.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Update (finally). Got the 100 interlocks in, it likes them. Got a 1 inch group on the dot and i moved a little on the shot, standing in worked sand field and shooting across the toolbox of my pickup. Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Sidenote, if someone wants to buy the new unopened box of 100 grain ttsx weatherby rounds, id let them go or swap for more 100 gr interlocks

Last edited by Thatguy12; 11/28/22.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I understand the West German guns ate calibrated for 100 gr bullets. So says my Weatherby catalog from 1963. I have read similar comments about German guns previously. I bought a 7mm so I have no personal knowledge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a 257 weatherby, and have been fighting to get it consistent. Pulled my nikko stirling off my 6.5 howa, which had been a tack driver at 100 to put a little bigger scope on it, and put it on this mark v. Was having a hard time getting on paper, finally went out today at could get it to hit paper at 20ish yards. Problem is, all 3 holes are teardrop shaped, looks like the bullet is hitting sideways. I'm guessing that means i need a barrel? Figured I'd ask here, seems there's a few that know the 257. Shooting factory 115 gr ballistic tipped weatherby ammo, older box with a deer on the front

I experienced the exact same thing with the Mark V I bought, worst shooting rifle I have ever shot with.

I swapped out the barrel with a Wilson Match Grade #3 Contour, still wasn't as accurate as I wanted, so I Glass Bedded and Free Floated the barrel. It's a tack driver now.

Was disappointed that Weatherby would produce and sell such a horrible shooting rifle!

KB

KB

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I remember right, Roy was a big fan of the 257 and tried it on everything he could including African game. I think some of his results were less than spectacular. He believed light/fast would give instantaneous kills from the explosive expansion he got on lighter game. So longer/heavier bullets weren’t intended for use in his guns. Even early 300 Weatherby magnums had 1-12” twist for best results with light bullets and explosive expansion.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
If I remember right, Roy was a big fan of the 257 and tried it on everything he could including African game. I think some of his results were less than spectacular. He believed light/fast would give instantaneous kills from the explosive expansion he got on lighter game. So longer/heavier bullets weren’t intended for use in his guns. Even early 300 Weatherby magnums had 1-12” twist for best results with light bullets and explosive expansion.

In 30 cal a 12" twist isn't particularly slow and especially suited to light bullets.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338reddog, 264magnum, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.