Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Bought it. Ordered belts, some steel.

It has a wider table and a 3" platen added.
No idea WITH a guy does wit a 3" platen behind a 1" belt, tomorrow I'm
going to see what that needs. Either make one or order it.

Ordered AEB-L and some 8670. Never used 8670, but it sounds easy
to heat treat crudely. Gonna grind some junk out of it, before I try the
stainless. Can do my own treat for free, make anything knife shaped into
a useable knife.

If I gotta pay to ship/treat something, I want it to be worth the $$$

8670 is badass... Do you have a kiln or an oven?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A little forge.

As above I'm new, short attention span, no work shop. It just doesn't
Make sense to spend a bunch on one of my passing interests.

BGG.

I will.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
If cost is no issue Tw90 is the king.

I would like to add this to the conversation for no particular reason other than “just because”. Rick, I have always admired your knives and your craftsmanship so your opinion carries a lot of weight. I have known Travis’ dad Marvin for sixty years, more or less. My son asked me to attend a “hammer in” at their shop a couple years ago. It was a great weekend and learned a lot about knife making from some other talented craftsmen. There were lots of TW90 parts laying around waiting to be assembled and shipped. My son is interested in making knives but hasn’t the time at this point in his life. If he gets to where he can, and I am able to do so, I would like to get him one of Travis’ grinders. Thanks for your opinion. It seals the deal for me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Two cents, I made one using skate board wheels, square tubing, & 1hp motor. It's not ideal but it's way better than tha 1x42 I purchased 40yrs ago. I AM NOT A KNIFE MAKER!!! I only made different knives trying to find the best shapes for trapping, skinning, pelting, fillet, etc. There is no one knife shape for everythin, several even for one furbearing animal, around eyes, legs, starting. I gave most of mine to other trappers to get feed back. It is fun & interesting & im sure you'll get hooked!!! It's kind of like making your own bow, arrows, spear, reloads paddles, snowshoes, pack basket & using them to take game, very rewarding. Enjoy!!!$$ GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.