Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We're officially into the last month of the year.

What have you used that's new to you this year - gear wise - that you'd recommend to others? Something surprise you?

Thought we'd kick this off in enough time for people to pick up good stuff for Christmas.

Me: Nothing super earth shattering, I've not purchased a lot of new gear a lot this year.

2 things I really liked tho -

20 gauge Browning CXS - joy to carry
Final Rise Summit vest for bird hunting. VERY well made, comfortable and the owner seems to be a really good guy. Made in the USA too.

Me

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Utz cheese curls. Cheetos suck ass.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Muck Apex Mid Zip boots

Son got me a pair for my birfday.
I'd have never bought but love them.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not new but essential to the woods,Thermocells,I carry two in my pack,one in the truck,one on the back porch. Thanks 3m,this makes mosquito's a non issue.Deer dont seem to mind,the piggies not so much.Fuggers

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sig P365 X Macro. I didn’t realize that I wanted a new carry gun until I picked it up. I have big hands but love the slim grip profile and how it carries like a small gun even with a red dot and 17+1 standard capacity mags. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 35’ camo green rope with a loop and prusik knot with a carabiner and a Hunters Specialty climbing harness. I’ve never felt so secure in a tree stand. I should have been using one of these for years.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picked this up from a fellow member earlier this year. Highly recommend you get one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I purchased quite a bit of Simms clothing this year and it did not disappoint. The rain gear is terrific and the cold weather insulated shirts are really great and have become my cold weather hunting shirts as well.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Local folks sometimes bring me their rifles, with problems ranging minor to major, I don't claim to be a gunsmith, but I'm close by and get paid what I'm worth...which ain't much. And quite a few borrow my range. The point is I see a lot more rifles than the average guy, and if a young man who was not an avid or knowledgeable rifleman would ask me for a recommendation (unlikely)...I would have to tell him to stick with the developments and clones of Mauser, Mannlicher, JM Browning or Arthur Savage. Of course, if you must have a hunting rifle that will shoot groups measured in thousandths it's a different story. But for the intended purpose of sport hunting, the old designs, proven in battle take the cake.
New means new, not defined in any dictionary as better.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My choice of carry in the deer woods this year (And last year) was the fat and slow AR platformed 450 Bushmaster. For shots under 150 yards, it has been the one-stop, no tracking needed tool for 5 whitetails and a couple of hogs. Great for densely wooded areas where a death run can put deer into impenetrable thickets and briars.

I have plenty of rifles that can reach out and touch them, including my 30-28 Nosler, but the 450 has been awesome for the areas that I have hunted of late.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnny’s Seasoning

LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not new by any means but new to me......

Kenetrek Gaiters, worth their weight in gold for all the snow I walked through.

Outdoorsman's Palasade 90 pack, got the "Atlas Trainer" adapter and it really paid off. Easy to scale weight up or down.

Black diamond trekking poles made a big difference with a pack full of meat while negotiating steep mountains covered in deadfall.

Vortex bino-to-tripod adaptor, makes glassing easier which in turn helps you glass longer.

I know that none of this is revolutionary, especially for those who hunt out west all the time but if you are making that first trip, give this stuff a look.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am thoroughly pleased with my Girsan Hi-Power. Dead reliable with the first 100 rounds and pretty accurate. I have since cleaned up the trigger and threw on some Ahrend's grips I picked up. A lot of gun for the money. I am taking it to the range in a couple of hours.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Perfect stocking stuffer:

Rick Young Outdoors (.com) Ultra-Light Bino Harness and Binocular Connection Straps. I strongly recommend this combo without reservation.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Perfect stocking stuffer:

Rick Young Outdoors (.com) Ultra-Light Bino Harness and Binocular Connection Straps. I strongly recommend this combo without reservation.

RS
Plus 1

I bought one this spring for turkey hunting. For $20-$25 you can’t beat it.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
THIS WORKED WELL IN A TENT AT DEER CAMP THIS YEAR
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-lounge-cot?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CProprietary%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_KfoKfb-wIVOv_jBx2rlQHxEAQYASABEgLXF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Swarovski Z6 and Z8 scopes... Big fan of Leupold scopes for many years. Charmed life. Have not had any of the issues normally attributed to Leupolds. Picked up a VX6HD 1-6x24 mid year. Shortly after picked up a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 on a whim. Did an early morning side-by-side comparison. Used the VX6 set at 6x to spot a fat doe at a little over 300 yards. Doe had "fuzzy" ears. Took the Swarovski Z6 set on 6x to spot the same animal. Ooh. That is actually a little fork horn with forks sticking up above it's ears. Back to the Leupold, still "fuzzy" ears. Sold...

The experience with the Z6 persuaded me to try a Z8i 2-16x50 for my .300H&H project rifle. Now, I am spoiled...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CMB76
THIS WORKED WELL IN A TENT AT DEER CAMP THIS YEAR
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-lounge-cot?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CProprietary%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_KfoKfb-wIVOv_jBx2rlQHxEAQYASABEgLXF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
CMB76,

Howdy

That looks nice, adjustable legs for uneven ground, props up like a chair, compact when folded plus a carry-bag.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Favorite purchases this year-

Hellcat Pro. It’s been flawless since I bought it. Not many rounds, 4-500, but no issues. It’s a Goldilocks gun for me.

That’s all I can think of. Moved xcountry this year and did a lot more getting rid of than I did getting.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, we all know Eddie Bauer has turned to a hipster brand. So there is that.

But their Guide Pro pants are turning into a favorite. The lined ones for cold and windy conditions. Probably not the quality of First Lite or Kuiu, but half the price. Oh, and they offer multitudes of W x L options. Not trying to force you into a s, m, l length.

On sale for $75 now, their rewards program always sends out $10 off coupons, often can catch them a bit cheaper than this even, sometimes from other retailers.

Guide Pro Lined pant

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.