Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
In the future, please add something like a pencil, Bic lighter, etc for scale.

Tell that to Amazon.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yote

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Wampus cat?....Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Yote

🦫
are you one of those that doesn't read the whole thread?

sheesh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And your location would also help in discounting certain critters.

Valsdad;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope that the weather in your section of northern California is at least something you can work with and that despite the fascinating political turmoil in both our respective countries that you're well.

How's that for an opening salutation? wink laugh

Regarding your request, you mean like this correct?

[Linked Image]

Or this, same prop but with the information that they're 8x42's and it's on the east side of the Okanagan Valley, BC side but close to the medicine line at about the 5000' level.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to the OP, I'm sitting in the house pouring wood into two woodstoves today because frankly it's about 10°C colder than it should be at this time of year and last year today we set a record for warmest day ever.

To the OP however, if it was here I'd guess coyote eating fuzzy animals poop there.

Back to you Geno, I'll send best wishes for a good weekend and here's to staying warm and dry for the next bit.

Dwayne

PS;
I now see it's bobcat, which I wouldn't have guessed - if only obviously - as some folks north of me even are wont to say.

We do have bobcat, lynx and cougar here, but I must admit their scat I cannot tell from a coyote eating fuzzy animal scat.

Coyotes eating grapes in the vineyards is of course a different discussion... laugh

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/02/22. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Bobcat?

Gary knows his [bleep]!!!!!!!!!

Years of trapping and learning to read sign. A bobcat toilet is a sure-fire trap set location.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Did you find that behind the dump?

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JeffP
Bobcat?

Gary knows his [bleep]!!!!!!!!!

Years of trapping and learning to read sign. A bobcat toilet is a sure-fire trap set location.

We can’t shoot them here or trap them , but I have seen him 3 times in the same spot ....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Skunk ape, I'd know it anywhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal

And your location would also help in discounting certain critters.

Valsdad;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope that the weather in your section of northern California is at least something you can work with and that despite the fascinating political turmoil in both our respective countries that you're well.

How's that for an opening salutation? wink laugh

Regarding your request, you mean like this correct?

[Linked Image]

Or this, same prop but with the information that they're 8x42's and it's on the east side of the Okanagan Valley, BC side but close to the medicine line at about the 5000' level.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to the OP, I'm sitting in the house pouring wood into two woodstoves today because frankly it's about 10°C colder than it should be at this time of year and last year today we set a record for warmest day ever.

To the OP however, if it was here I'd guess coyote eating fuzzy animals poop there.

Back to you Geno, I'll send best wishes for a good weekend and here's to staying warm and dry for the next bit.

Dwayne

PS;
I now see it's bobcat, which I wouldn't have guessed - if only obviously - as some folks north of me even are wont to say.

We do have bobcat, lynx and cougar here, but I must admit their scat I cannot tell from a coyote eating fuzzy animal scat.

Coyotes eating grapes in the vineyards is of course a different discussion... laugh

Well Dwayne, I'm surviving.

Weather? Ha Ha. 6"+ snow total yesterday and the day before, and as you know so well, clearing last night and the big temp drop. We're still at about -8C here (18F for us yanks) after a low this morning of around -19C (-3F). I'm fortunate it waited till midweek to snow, as I was able to shovel some paths to the garage and around the yard for the dogs' "purposes". Earlier in the week when the Corona first hit, I'd have been in no shape for snow moving.

The binocs in your picture are the perfect example. That's a big load of crap in the one picture, but it could as easily have appeared to be from a smaller animal without something for scale.

I've lived in a place where piles like that showed up in the yard on occasion. All I can say is that so far we've yet to see any down here on the flats, the bears can stay up the hill as far as I'm concerned. If blackie decided to, the Chicken Gulag would be penetrated easily enough for him to grab one of my hens. We'd not like that.

I must get do doing a few things, so I bid you a great afternoon up Okanagan way.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Those are Smart Pills.Taste one and tell us what it taste like. smile

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Thanks for the reply, though I am sorry to hear about the beer flu and the cold temps.

We had snow hit here and stay on the 2nd of November, which is the second earliest down here ever for us in 30 years and the first time it's stayed.

The local "problem bear" this spring was particularly fond of a couple of the neighbor's chickens indeed.

It made a fatal error in judgement however and is now being fed to the ancient cat on my lap. It's a pain because I have to cook it to kill the trichinosis, but she likes it and I like him gone.

The impressive thing about both the bear poop photos to me is the diameter in both instances and then the volume as well in the second.

A hunting buddy and neighbor caught what had to be the tracks of the second one in that initial dump of snow and pronounced the tracks "the biggest black bear tracks I've seen in decades anywhere and biggest here".

We'll maybe have to go see what we can see up there this spring when the snow pack moves off.

All the best with the afternoon projects and here's to all of us in the western deepfreeze keeping warm this weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another sample for all the amateur scatologists in residence.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Morewood;
Good afternoon to you sir, it's my hope for you as well that you're keeping well, warm and dry since you're in the same general geographic location as Geno?

Am I seeing deer hair in that?

When the black bears up here get into killing fawns in spring it can look a bit like that, but not perhaps exactly if I'm remembering right.

That'd be a fair pile for a cougar but what else in your part of the world eats something covered in hair?

Thanks for the scatalogical puzzle and all the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure looked like deer hair, Dwayne. Could be either cat or bear, they've both been spotted in the past in this area.

All the best to you and yours Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Morewood;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate the info and well wishes.

Speaking broadly, as a semi-geezer and life long amateur scatological observer, when the meat eaters are cleaning up a carcass, as in getting down to the hooves, bones and hair, the poop is way, WAY different than if they're just gorging on meat. That can give them quite loose movements from what I've seen, as can too many grapes.. shocked

The coyotes here will even get into the lower branches of fruit trees if they can and for sure like cherries as well as grapes, but I'm not sure if they eat other fruit or not.

Bears of course eat all fruit and most vegetables though everything so far leaves the onions and garlic alone here including our yard deer.

If someone else knows what that is, I'll certainly concede to their opinion, but black bear cleaning up the last bits of a deer carcass would be my guess on what you've got there.

That could be a big cat for sure, but it'd be a fair sized one I believe.

All the best to you all once more sir.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chalky like a Bobcat, but most Bobcat Scat looks more like a tootsie roll, with hair don't know what that is. Rio7

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Break those pellets apart. If you find tiny bones, etc, it's a regurgitated owl pellet. the carpenter ant holes are a fair measure of size, but binocs, gloves, etc. would be mo-betta.

The "best" flop I ever found out in the wild was about 9 inches across and a half inch deep pancake. Nearly all of it tapeworm. I assumed it was a wolf with a real dose! Photobucket ate the picture - buncha perverts.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
where i come from

It’s cornbread n chicken

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.