Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I keep looking at this rifle, and it seems like a great deal for under $1500. Only comes chambered in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, but it doesnt seem like much of a handicap either way. Has anyone seen these in person?

My daughter uses an Alpine in .308, it's 7 lbs scoped and a joy to carry. Accuracy has been outstanding as well. I wish I had bought another when I had the chance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taylorce,

If it's the carbon fiber stocked model that you're asking about, there was a review (on the Howa Mini) over on... I believe it was Rokslide where the guy was not too happy with the factory stock.

There's always this to consider, https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...er-hunter-howa-1500-factory-seconds.html

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Description says it comes with a Stocky's stock. https://www.howausa.com/howa-super-lite/

Other than color, is it different than the one you linked?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Description says it comes with a Stocky's stock. https://www.howausa.com/howa-super-lite/

Other than color, is it different than the one you linked?

They should be the same stock. However, I would think much like the Alpine it has a lightened action and barrel contour.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I read some reviews on this after reading the OP. I wouldn’t buy it simply because of the stock. I don’t think it’s that great and looks cheap. I’m just not paying that price for a rifle I won’t be happy with until I get a better stock and trigger.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have seen several of these Howa Superlite rifles at LGS, they have been on the shelves for a couple months and as far as i know none of them have sold. I was excited to get my hands on one until i did, I was thoroughly unimpressed...actions are rough as a cob and that price point they are not even made of stainless....Good luck....Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd still love to check it out myself, there just isn't any locally that I can find. I may have to make the trek to Scheels in COS and see if they have any.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Save your money and get a tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It appears that someone at Legacy just doesn’t get that there’s a serious demand for SS. Howa makes ‘em, but they seldom import them. I was looking at Minis about a year ago when bingo, a SS one popped up for sale, but in Australia. Crap. They do list the HS Precision in SS in 6.5 YKW and 7RM, but that’s the 2022 catalog, and they ain’t light, 7.6 lbs. Even my M70 EW is lighter than that, 7-12 scoped. Not crazy about the plastic guard and mags on the Superlite either.

Yeah, get a Tikka, or whatever else is out there, then drop Legacy a line and tell ‘em why.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think there's a confusion between the carbon and the superlite. I handled both and the guy behind the counter or I couldnt totally understand the difference. The website doesn't help much either. Anyway the superlite was about 200 dollars more than the carbon which it was called. The stocks looked exactly the same with the kryptic camo. I'm not a fan. The carbon stock felt the same as the lightweight but was in calibers up to 7mm and 300 win mag. The superlie was in 6.5 and 308. Besides the camo I don't like, the stock and light weight are incredible. I believe it's under 5 lbs. The stock is sticky and thin. The action...rough.

Honestly, the superlite stock felt in the top 5 I've ever shouldered. Plus that thing is light!

Just my thoughts from handling it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MGunns
I handled both and the guy behind the counter…

Say what you will about the comma, but it has its place.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
LMAO!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Maxwell

Yup.

Punctuation is the difference between, “Let’s eat, Grandma!” and “Let’s eat Grandma!”

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know anything about these rifles other than what I have read at places like this. However, last week I saw one on the rack for the first time. I picked it up and almost accidentally threw it over my head it was so light.

By the way, this was frickin' hilarious.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yup.

Punctuation is the difference between, “Let’s eat, Grandma!” and “Let’s eat Grandma!”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm trying to get to 8 lbs with a rifle a Night Force 3-10X42 SHV and Omega 300 suppressor. That means at a minimum I need an 5 lbs bare rifle. Stainless isn't a deal breaker for me, but weight is. There just aren't a lot of 5 lbs or lighter rifles out there, and none as affordable as the Superlite.

My current rifle a M700 18" .308 is 6 lbs bare and 9.3 lbs all up with NF, Warne MT 20 MOA base and rings, Omega 300, suppressor, Mountain sling, and 5 rounds. So to shave some weight off my current set up here is what it would take.

Manners UL stock 5 oz.
TBAC Ultra 5 suppressor 8 oz.
Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 30mm 6 oz
Talley LWT 2 oz.
---------------------------
Total weight savings 21 oz.

Howa Superlite takes a similar amount of weight off, and for less money than TBAC Ultra 5 without 180-200+ day wait. That'll also get me to 8 lbs all up +/-.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I don't know anything about these rifles other than what I have read at places like this. However, last week I saw one on the rack for the first time. I picked it up and almost accidentally threw it over my head it was so light.

By the way, this was frickin' hilarious.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yup.

I agree, which is why I stole it off Pintrest….

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Very well done

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one chambered in 308. It weighs 4.7lbs without the rail that comes with the rifle and 4.9lbs with it. I have only tried 2 factory loads in mine. The first was the norma whitetail 150gr which shot moa at 100yds for 3 shots without letting the barrel cool. The other was SSA 150gr nosler accubonds that grouped a little better than the norma did. I carried it all last week hunting in WV and it was a pleasure to carry up and down the mountians. Only negatives that i have found are the bolt is a little rough when working the action, and the mag release has an issue. With the action screw tight I have to pull the mag release button until it cams over to drop the mag. If I loosen the action screws a little it works like it should. I have not called howa about it because I wanted to hunt with it this year, and it really isn't a big deal to me. I have mine set up with burris zee rings and a vortex razor lwh 1.5-8 scope. Total weight unloaded is 5lb 11.8oz.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JMUPT; 12/02/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I have one chambered in 308.

Thank you, can you give me your opinions on the stock? You said the bolts rough, do you think it'll ever slick up or is it a different issue? Sounds like it's a decent shooter.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think the bolt will smooth out. I only have about 25 rounds through the rifle. It's more of a rough sound than a rough feeling. I like the stock, it has a textured feel to it, it's comfortable to shoot. You can move the barrel in the barrel channel by pushing on it if you try. The stock feels similar (maybe a little thiner) to my remington 700 Ti to me. The stock is a stocky's carbon fiber stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 621 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,795
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.