Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Has no effect on my bottom line agriculturally nor tax wise.

I’m not arrogant or stupid enough to think hogs are at the top of our tax problem grin

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Its a win-win for me, I ain’t a farmer and couldn’t give a rat’s ass

Bet you care what groceries cost.

The main loser with feral hogs is the agriculture industry.

Lotsa tax dollars going to that problem too. You like higher taxes?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/02/22.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m curious what 11 states they were eradicated in. They certainly weren’t in my neck of the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Kill them all, aoudads too

You gonna add fire ants, killer bees, and negros to da list ?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Why weren’t feral hogs a huge problem 30-40-50+ years ago? They certainly were around, their mating habits and Gestation period hasn’t changed since the beginning of time. My dad and his buddies were hunting feral hogs throughout Florida and up into Georgia back in the 50’s it’s seems they would have had just as explosive numbers back then. Or did they just have more wild places to inhabit back then and less people to encounter them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They have been around since the sixteen hundreds in my area and real men used to do hog drives to market with dogs just like cattle drives.

People hunted more and ate more wild game too, then cattle became a thang.

When I read the stories and accounts of how they used to round up these feral hogs to drive to market out of this rough country even as late as the 1800’s and early 1900’s, I realized men ain’t da same no mo.

So for many of you immigrants, these hogs have been in America longer than your forefathers. That makes them more American than most of you.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m curious what 11 states they were eradicated in. They certainly weren’t in my neck of the woods.

I wonder how they did that

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
No feral hogs in Iowa. We have deer. We don't need the feral hogs. I just got a call from my renter a couple of days ago. He took a hit on his corn in one of my fields. It's time to go deer hunting.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
Why weren’t feral hogs a huge problem 30-40-50+ years ago? They certainly were around, their mating habits and Gestation period hasn’t changed since the beginning of time. My dad and his buddies were hunting feral hogs throughout Florida and up into Georgia back in the 50’s it’s seems they would have had just as explosive numbers back then. Or did they just have more wild places to inhabit back then and less people to encounter them.
I remember reading that once their population reached a critical point they explode population-wise.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One theory had it that screwworm helped keep feral hogs in check in Texas.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Certainly wouldn't mind teaming up with Hannah Barron to address the wild porker population. grin

-=[Bob]=-
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
One theory had it that screwworm helped keep feral hogs in check in Texas.
Makes sense. screw worms were nasty.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
I remember reading that once their population reached a critical point they explode population-wise.

They mulitply like rats.

Time the sow has offspring #2. Bunch #1 is making more.

Seems i read or heard somewhere you gotta kill 80% to keep the population stable…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Why weren’t feral hogs a huge problem 30-40-50+ years ago? They certainly were around, their mating habits and Gestation period hasn’t changed since the beginning of time. My dad and his buddies were hunting feral hogs throughout Florida and up into Georgia back in the 50’s it’s seems they would have had just as explosive numbers back then. Or did they just have more wild places to inhabit back then and less people to encounter them

Can't speak for other places but a lot of the guys running them with dogs and catching them live were responsible for at least some of their spread here. They were catching them and releasing them on multiple peoples land. Then when some poor farmer starts having a hog problem guess who shows up claiming they can help do something about it. Yep, the same SOB's that dumped them out there in the first place. You only have to dump a few pairs of male and females out on a place and within 5 years that person is going to start having a serious problem. The sows can have 2 liters a year with up to 10 or 12 per liter. The females of each liter are sexually mature when they reach 6 months of age. People eventually got wise to what some of these hog hunters were doing and a law was passed here making it illegal to bring hogs out of the woods alive. But sadly that was like closing the gap after the cows were all out.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You never added Mexican to your list

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He wasn’t a big one but did my best to help you Texans out

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The sows drop a litter in 3 months, 3 weeks and a few days according to one of the guys here on the fire from Oklahoma. My nephews live outside of Austin and one of these days I’m going down to hunt hogs. Talk to the Pastor at their weddings and he hunts deer but not hogs! And he’s a native Texan. Too busy tending his own flock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I’m not arrogant or stupid enough to think hogs are at the top of our tax problem grin

Oh, don't sell yourself short. You are off the charts for both arrogant and stupid.

Never said it was the "top of our tax problem". But I know first hand that lots of tax dollars are spent to control them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Them federals all need to go..... by any means necessary.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Its you that is naive son, “lots” of tax dollars compared to freebies for illegals or Ukraine for example.

The fact is they could eradicate them pretty quick if they wanted too.

Oh, don't sell yourself short. You are off the charts for both arrogant and stupid.

Never said it was the "top of our tax problem". But I know first hand that lots of tax dollars are spent to control them.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/03/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Its you that is naive son, “lots” of tax dollars compared to freebies for illegals or Ukraine for example.

The fact is they could eradicate them pretty quick if they wanted too.

I'm not your son, MF'r. Thank God.

But with every post you show your ignorance with a vengeance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.