Print Thread
Hop To
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Looking for a quick buy price on one. Looks refinished and a stock repair. Rear peep, blank added and gold bead front sight. Cloverleaf tang, small safety. Looks nice but would like an honest offer price.

Last edited by alibi; 12/02/22.
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Waste of time w/o photos.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hole(s) in the bridge?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Knowing what we know........................probably can't get hurt at $500

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alibi
Looking for a quick buy price on one. Looks refinished and a stock repair. Rear peep, blank added and gold bead front sight. Cloverleaf tang, small safety. Looks nice but would like an honest offer price.

Sounds like what they call a "transition" model. Based on your "small safety" remark. Not really pre war because it was made after the war. I'm guessing it was made from '47-1949? Stock repaired and refinished sucks and hurts value. Are you buying? I'd price it at approx. $1,000.00, but condition and originality rules the roost. The last transition model I bought was $600... More info and clarification is needed on this one. Since the norm is to not post pictures, a really defined description is required. Even a partial serial #, but you guys keep posting these vague questions. Yet, ask for an "honest" evaluation on value...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
This is why I came to the 70 gurus. Rifle in question is on consignment at a local shop. Listed as pre war, Asking $1600. Hard to take pictures of a rifle on the rack. Don’t need it, but very cool and would like to have it.

13xxx serial number. I believe the metal is possibly refinished. Last digit is somewhat feint, as well as the proof? On the opposite side. Not drilled on rear bridge, nor side. Receiver has a nice matte finish, barrel is a glossy blue.

The repair on the wood stock on the right side of the cloverleaf, small piece grafted into it, pinned in place and finished to nearly match. The rest of the stock looks original.

I’d wager as it sits it looks to be in the 90% range, some basic handling marks. That is if the metal is original finish, but suspect it isn’t.

Looking to offer them 9-1100.

Last edited by alibi; 12/02/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is why I came to the 70 gurus. Rifle in question is on consignment at a local shop. Listed as pre war, Asking $1600. Hard to take pictures of a rifle on the rack. Don’t need it, but very cool and would like to have it.

13xxx serial number. I believe the metal is possibly refinished. Last digit is somewhat feint, as well as the proof? On the opposite side. Not drilled on rear bridge, nor side. Receiver has a nice matte finish, barrel is a glossy blue.

The repair on the wood stock on the right side of the cloverleaf, small piece grafted into it, pinned in place and finished to nearly match. The rest of the stock looks original.

I’d wager as it sits it looks to be in the 90% range, some basic handling marks. That is if the metal is original finish, but suspect it isn’t.

Looking to offer them 9-1100.

Now, that is better. So, the main issue is a lot of gunshops do not have a real clue on what something is worth. Sometimes that works in your favor, and other times it really works against you. Mainly because those shops think every pre 64 model 70 is worth boo koo bucks, when they are not. With your serial # given, the rifle was made in 1937. That is a second year production model 70. Pre war as you said. It really sounds like a shooter grade rifle to me though, especially if you think it's been refinished. Someone else asked if the rear bridge has been drilled and tapped. That will also reduce the collector value of the rifle. Your $900-$1,100.00 offer should be appropriate, even if it's been d/t. Check the bore really well. If you buy a "shooter", you don't want to buy one that can't be shot. Or shoot accurately.. Also, drop the floor plate and check to see that it has the original mag box with spacer and that the bolt stop is correct. The 22 Hornet had a lot of specialized parts. One being the different style extractor and what they called a cartridge pusher at the bolt face. Make sure those parts are not damaged, as they may be damn hard to find..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The .22 Hornet is a unique creature. Parts problematic and parts substitutes a hazard perhaps even as occurred some 80+ years later! Feeding/functioning issues prevalent.

'If' the metal is decent, another stock could be found as I 'believe' even with the 22H, it should be a drop-in cloverleaf tang style external fit & maybe some internal inletting fussing. Any stock up to about '47 or so genre to work. The safety may be a "Tilden" transition safety.

IF you really want the rifle as a keeper, a 'maybe' & willingness to 'fuss' with it. For speculative sale... I'd not risk the likely fuss.

Pix worth a thousand words... Ahem! Ahem! Few pix: Model 70, 1946 showing Tilden transition safety as perhaps you describing. Same prewar vintage 15K SN as yours, reflecting era-standard so-called "Flag" safety as the Hornet should have.

For info, both the rifles here are in .257 Roberts & Super Grades. Early one with Weaver K2.5 scope & Stith Mount meaning 'of-genre' as no rifle was harmed in securing of that scope mount! No extra holes) smile

Hope this helps!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R414-14.jpg (26.04 KB, 118 downloads)
R414-1.jpg (23.35 KB, 117 downloads)
R415-22.jpg (22.53 KB, 117 downloads)
R415-21U.jpg (36.34 KB, 117 downloads)
R415-4.jpg (24.88 KB, 117 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 12/02/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post John. I like that transition model.

BSA MAGA
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Receiver has two filled holes in left side, rear bridge is D T but not the typical way. Receiver metal is definitely refinished.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Guess I would not buy anything from a shop that would not allow me to take some photos to refer to experts.

A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
And they’re not much for wiggling. Shooter grade gun for sure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And they’re not much for wiggling. Shooter grade gun for sure.

Some shops are like that. Just present them with the information you know and let them dwell on it for a while. If you think they may budge and you like the rifle, give them a quote with your name and phone # on it. There is a way to present information to those willing to listen, then there is a way to tell them like it is if they are not willing to listen. Then you just move on.. They can eat it, if they don't want to sell it.. That is how I see it..

BSA MAGA
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Sir that is about the best explanation and tactic I’ve heard. I’ll revisit this week and see.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There’s usuallly only one chance to buy a good gun

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It's only money.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
There’s usuallly only one chance to buy a good gun

That is a poor way to look at things. I've been buying nice model 70's and other rifles for a while now. One of my good buddies used to always tell me, "there will ALWAYS be another one come along, you just have to be patient". That has been one of the best pieces of advice I have been given. He is absolutely right on this. He also told me to "buy LOW and sell HIGH!!!!!!" Again, another damn good piece of advice. I don't sell a lot, but buy quite a bit. Especially recently. Some guys just don't get it, but that is on them...

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,464
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.