Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guy up the road has two of those dogs, they kill any Coyotes that come around, they don't look like it but they get pizzed off fast.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco
We have goats on our lease. There is one that guards them. Cool dog, playful as hell. He is a lot bigger than in the pic, probably 100 lbs.
Do they have to be trained or is it a natural thing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The drive to protect is a natural thing.

You have to train them to protect what you want.

They have to be "bonded" to their flock....whether it is humans or gerbils or sheep.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I had a pack of hounds, my kill dogs weighed from 45-60 lbs 24”-27” tall. One on one they could take on a coyote but would sustain injury. If another dog was present to distract they would seldom require a vet visit. Multiple coyotes on a single dog, dead dog.

Any dog that takes on a pack of 12, killing 8….I hope it’s true, but I no longer believe in roundoak either

CK
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have never owned sheep or sheep dogs. Only cows and cow dogs.

I have read though that the Pyrenees are placed with the flock of sheep as soon as they can be pulled from Momma's teat. They grow up totally bonded to their flock.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Did someone ask why he left his dog to fight a dozen coyotes without firing a single shot? Sounds like he doesn't deserve the dog.

That's the first thing my 8 year old daughter said was why didn't he help the dog, where was his gun.

We had 3 coyotes try to lure our 10 year old poohretriever, "golden doodle", who was dying of cancer a few years back. My daughter was about 5 at the time and vividly remembers me grabbing my faux Ti 223 AI and going to work on them.

One looked over his shoulder about 300 yards out and gave me just enough time to put a 75g amax through his lungs. The other 2 were already out to 500 and made it to a ditch. A few weeks later our neighbors lab got chewed up pretty well but lived. He had a bunch of stitched and the vet said it was coyotes.

I smoked one in October while headed up on my boys deer hunt. I had to test out his little mini howa grendel. My dog loving daughter was upset when she first heard then I said remember when those 3 tried to kill Shammy. She said oh yah, I'm glad you shot it.

Bb

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The sheep farmer up the road from our camp has several of these dogs that stay out with the sheep 24/7/365. He stops by to feed them but that's pretty much it. The dogs seem like lard azz's to me. Always laying down in the flock. sometimes you really need to look for them in there. I'd really like to see them go after a yote some time.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Might have got lucky and killed a bunch of this years pups and the old coyotes tried to lure him into the brush, who knows. But that owner is a DUMB ASS that don't deserve a dog of that caliber, hearing that kind of ruckus and not going out strapped, what a douche nozzle.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WildWest
and watched the Great Pyrenees, move the sheep. There were 4 of them . They were 2 in front scouting ,2 on the flanks and 2 in back.

I don't know where it was, that taught you how to do addition. The school that taught me said that 2+2+2=6........

Calling mathman! I found you a new student....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A ranch family I knew well up in NM worked hard together to make their little operation successful, and the lovely wife raised goats as well - mostly so that 4H kids would have some good ones available, but also for general sale. Every animal was precious in that little operation.

Not only did we have hordes of coyotes that got after any small farm/ranch animal, but we also had the implanted wolves, and they were even tougher on sheep/goats - and even beef cattle.

This family had two GPs to be with the goats - and those dogs were like parents to the flock as they grazed. More than that, they were viciously protective - they chased and killed coyotes regularly - sometimes in bunches - and did the same with at least one wolf which must have gotten away from its pack.

Otherwise, docile and friendly. Great dogs.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Speaking of not shooting coyotes in suburban Atlanta...

Several years ago I was down visiting in suburban Atlanta, sunny Saturday morning about 11 am. Driving past a nice expensive house near Brookhaven Golf Course, DeKalb County, same place as the OP. I saw a big raccoon, sitting on his ass in the yard. I knew he was real sick because raccoons are nocturnal. Standing there was a 50 year old guy, and his 17 year old son. Son had a heavy metal rake in his hands.

I wanted to get out and shoot the rabid raccoon with my .38

I got out and talked to the guys, they had already called 911. They told me that they knew the animal had rabies. Out here in the country in NC, we simply shoot rabid animals. But there in Atlanta it is way illegal to shoot a gun. I got in my truck and drove off, better for the kid to have to take rabies shots, than for me to get busted on a felony gun charge, some snoopy neighbor gets a photo of a license plate and calls the cops on me.

I am from Atlanta, and today I live in a good place, 220 miles AWAY FROM Atlanta.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and watched the Great Pyrenees, move the sheep. There were 4 of them . They were 2 in front scouting ,2 on the flanks and 2 in back.

I don't know where it was, that taught you how to do addition. The school that taught me said that 2+2+2=6........

Yeah, I kinda stoped believing a lot of things posted up here anymore.

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Anyone takes the name grammarman - they will have a full-time job.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.wlbt.com/2022/12/02/stacked-up-against-pack-coyotes-herd-dog-kills-8-save-sheep/

The guy in the OP calls himself an "urban farmer." It is incongruous, but he lives in a suburb in Atlanta and has his back yard fenced in and raises sheep there.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Great Pyrenees can be hell on a coon dog that crosses the fence.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a couple Great Pyrenees before and they no joke when it comes to protecting their charges.

Now I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and she is one hellofa guard dog as well. She roams my property and also the neighbors chasing foxes & coyotes mostly at night. She has shown up for breakfast with battle damage a few times. The stealing crack heads have not been an issue for the past 4 years that I've had her. Only thing is I have to be sure to lock her up during dear season so the local rednecks don't shoot her,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the dog owner is telling the truth, he's one big fairy. Shoulda grabbed a shotgun and got into the action.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The coyotes look to have gotten their licks in, but not enough of them to save themselves.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
When I had a pack of hounds, my kill dogs weighed from 45-60 lbs 24”-27” tall. One on one they could take on a coyote but would sustain injury. If another dog was present to distract they would seldom require a vet visit. Multiple coyotes on a single dog, dead dog.

Any dog that takes on a pack of 12, killing 8….I hope it’s true, but I no longer believe in roundoak either

I was thinking along the same lines. I’ve seen my share of canine battles and some plenty mean dogs that have taken the worse of it. Coyotes rarely go toe to toe unless they have the odds.
If the dog in this story did even half of what’s claimed by himself I’m more than impressed.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A Wyoming Arms Creedmoor in the hands of a Wizard... would have made this a non story...

NOT

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL. I saw that too. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.