Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by jwp475
Sounds like a very short chamber throat

Which is unusual because Weatherby rifles have long throats.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
I used to work in a gunshot that was also a Weatherby authorized service center. We had to drop that part of the business because the gunsmiths literally had time for nothing else but fixing Weatherbys...and yeah, most of them were Mark Vs. Left a bad taste in my mouth, though I think Highly of the Vanguards.

I’ve read on the innanets that folks have had issues with Weatherby Mark V’s. Vanguards and Howas had a recall some years ago I think.

However, I own one 6-lug Mark V, three 9-lug Mark V magnums, and one Vanguard magnum and have had zero issues with any of them and all 5 are very accurate. I’m not disputing your experiences, just sharing mine. And yes, they all have been fired quite a lot, no safe queens. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never claimed to be baloney-free!

Cheers

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
just send the rifle back for warranty , chit happens sometimes . good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pete53 for the win...

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About 10 years back I was driving out of the woods and was flagged down on a logging road by an acquaintance. He was looking for a rod to push a bullet out of his barrel. His story was very similar to yours. It was a well used Savage 110. He was using factory ammo. He shot a buck, jacked another live round in the chamber, which he said was hard to close the bolt down on, and then, with a ton of effort, pulled the round apart trying to get it out.

After pushing the bullet out, we cycled a bunch of full mags through and everything worked fine. Best we could figure was that somehow a factory round ended up with the bullet seated out too far. Guy wasn't a hand loader and never had anyone load for him, so there wasn't much possibility that he ended up with a non factory round.

Can't really comment much on the adversely affected safety, other than that perhaps it slipped partially to the on position and you bent something while pulling hard to extract the stuck round?

I've owned a number of Mk-V through the years. None gave me any trouble mechanically, but most seemed finicky. Had to usually mess around with loads and free floating barrels. I always felt like for the money they could do a little better. Wouldn't say no to another if they offer something that catches my fancy, but haven't brought one home in awhile.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Never liked Weatherbys. Over-hyped and over priced IMO. Any thing that requires a torque wrench isn't in my lot. My opinion is free of course.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One thing for sure is the 6.5 RPM does not utilize Wby style freebore, so typically MKV operation is usually under no over pressure stress with most Wby cartridges because of generous freebore distances from the lands.

Pressure on the 6.5 RPM is 65K psi, could be a tight chamber. Did you measure the max COAL to lands of your chamber? If so compare Wby ammo length cartridges to the found COAL to lands. You’ll need one of the 140 Interlock bullets for analyzing COAL to lands to make a comparison. Once found, the allowable should be found by backing off the lands by about 0.020”-0.080” (could have greater freebore) from the COAL to lands for a typical factory chamber or for most handloaders. Wby ammo should fall well short of the COAL to lands measurement. Just a place to start for some specifics and maybe a better understanding.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
6 rounds from sight in to hunting????

I was scratching my head on that too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didn’t test fire your rifle before hunting with it?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
6 rounds from sight in to hunting????

I was scratching my head on that too.

Yeah...that alone tells you everything you need to know.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Please let us know what the final findings are.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dogger
Ammo mics at about 3.265 which is in SAAMI spec
First two rounds to zero...
Next three rounds fun shots, one each by my buddies...
Round six on the deer...
That's impressive in terms of economy of ammo. I don't think it's enough shots to figure out the peculiarities of your rifle, though. In my mind, like driving a new vehicle off the lot straight home to load up your stuff and then leave on a 5k mile road trip.

Not sure what went wrong with the gun, but Weatherby's service department should be able to straighten it out.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New production Weatherby Mark V Bronze in 6.5 RPM. Weatherby Select 140 Interlock grain factory load. This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it... First round today on a nice 8 pointer at 60 yards - devastating bullet performance. Ejected the brass without incident and attempted to slam the second cartridge home. Bolt did not want to close. Had to really slam it into battery. Deer was down for the count so no need for a follow-up shot. Attempted to eject the cartridge and bolt did not want to open. dumped the rounds from the bottom plate then had to really manhandle the bolt open. The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet. Removed the bolt and reinserted it into the rifle and closed it to do a function check... trigger will not fire... bolt safety is in the hot position and will not toggle to safe. Dang. I am clueless on Weatherby bolts so I have an email in to customer service. I was planning on taking this rifle on a 2023 elk hunt... now i am not so sure... M700 in 280 Remington and M77 in 300 RSAUM are moving up in the batting order.

I would remove the action from the stock and clean all the spilt powder out of the trigger/action/bolt.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
New production Weatherby Mark V Bronze in 6.5 RPM. Weatherby Select 140 Interlock grain factory load. This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it... First round today on a nice 8 pointer at 60 yards - devastating bullet performance. Ejected the brass without incident and attempted to slam the second cartridge home. Bolt did not want to close. Had to really slam it into battery. Deer was down for the count so no need for a follow-up shot. Attempted to eject the cartridge and bolt did not want to open. dumped the rounds from the bottom plate then had to really manhandle the bolt open. The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet. Removed the bolt and reinserted it into the rifle and closed it to do a function check... trigger will not fire... bolt safety is in the hot position and will not toggle to safe. Dang. I am clueless on Weatherby bolts so I have an email in to customer service. I was planning on taking this rifle on a 2023 elk hunt... now i am not so sure... M700 in 280 Remington and M77 in 300 RSAUM are moving up in the batting order.

I would remove the action from the stock and clean all the spilt powder out of the trigger/action/bolt.
^^^^This and check the ammo , sounds like a bad batch . These threads never fail to attract Weatherby haters.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I bought a rifle once. Zeroed it for one box of factory loads with a few shots and went hunting. Put elk in the freezer. Worked great. Still have it, still zeroed for the same ammo. And I hand load, and have a firearms collection.

People are busy sometimes.
Not like the deer are going to shoot back.
Just sayin'.

I doubt anyone posting on a gun board goes hunting without a backup gun. I don't.

Fix and forget.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I bought a rifle once. Zeroed it for one box of factory loads with a few shots and went hunting. Put elk in the freezer. Worked great. Still have it, still zeroed for the same ammo. And I hand load, and have a firearms collection.

People are busy sometimes.
Not like the deer are going to shoot back.
Just sayin'.

I doubt anyone posting on a gun board goes hunting without a backup gun. I don't.

Fix and forget.
I go on plenty of hunts with no backup rifle. I can drive the 20 minutes back home if something happens

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ain't like most hunts are high-dollar, far from home deals.

No one's life is in danger if my new gun fails 30 minutes from home. No reason to shoot it 200 times to make sure.

And for that matter, how many rounds DOES it take to make sure it's gonna work?

Better not overdo the testing or you'll wear it out and cause a failure lol

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Weatherby Select factory loads... uber accurate btw
Six total rounds by 4 different people and you know its uber accurate ????? I think someone is trolling......

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep, the Weatherby Haters and Leupold Haters are cut from the same cloth.

There are two kinds of them: Those who have Weatherby rifles and those who wish they did….

In today’s manufacturing and quality control environment, anything can be out of specs or faulty.

My 6.5-300 Wby has less than two full boxes of ammo through it, yet I have 100% confidence that it will go bang and the bullet will go where aimed. I always take a backup rifle on out of state elk hunts where I have a place to store my spare. I never leave a firearm in a vehicle for the thieves to pluck.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.