-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guy used the wrong bullet for that shot, and then didn't look nearly hard enough to recover that animal. With 3" of snow on the ground one of those sets of tracks is that bucks. Just my .02
Not passing judgement. I've lost a deer myself. It happens.

THS, guilty as charged. The only time I've ever done it was back a long time ago. The shot was about 40 yards on a nice fork horn. Bullet
started its journey on the bung and finished its journey in his neck.

That gun /bullet combo was 30- 06 and a 165 grain "X" bullet. PMC Eldorado factory load.
That bullet pic I posted in the barnes recovered thread is the only one I've ever recovered. Still weighs 165 grains.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jac3k
A 150gr SST with a direct hit to the starfish would destroy the pelvic girdle, likely rupture both femoral arteries, and damage the spinal cord. That buck wouldn’t have gone anywhere.

Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by jac3k
A 150gr SST with a direct hit to the starfish would destroy the pelvic girdle, likely rupture both femoral arteries, and damage the spinal cord. That buck wouldn’t have gone anywhere.
Hmmm, I tend to agree with this. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Windfall
Second laugh laugh day of our WI. deer season and an acquaintance of mine had a 70 yard shot at a mature 10 point buck. Trouble was the deer was heading directly away from him so he aimed for the butt hole and shot. .308 bolt action shooting a 150 grain Hornady SST. Lots of blood in 3" of snow. He has 40 acres to hunt on before it goes into another property. He and his brother try to track the deer, but the deer stops bleeding and after two hours they have given up finding it. What should he have done differently?

Honestly, shooting a deer up the butt, then losing it in 3” of snow, doesn’t sound like this guy should be shooting at deer butts…

This and what many of the others have said - if anywhere close to the aiming point the deer would have likely went down and if not wouldn’t have went far. A glancing hit, unless the bullet or fragment hit a major artery, would have been consistent with what seems to have happened here?

PennDog

Just how much resistance do some think a bullet encounters going up the intestines while most likely severing some major arteries, and perhaps the liver and kidneys. While at the same time busting hip bones. If necessary stick your finger you know where, for a clue.

It wasn't the bullets fault

Last edited by battue; 12/02/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it wasn’t a fully rutted anorexic buck .if it ended up in the lower 2/3 ( ventral) of the rumen, I doubt it left that area. It’s called the fiber Mat. Left side of a ruminate. About like 3 milk jugs full of wet lawn clippings.

But like was said earlier if it was hit sweet it should have dropped quickly.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/03/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only thing I shoot in the butt are quail.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Do you think that makes you a more ethical hunter?

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
They usually can't go far with a legit texas heart shot.

Only native Texans are qualified to take Texas Heart Shot’s.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Poor judgement, unethical and irresponsible. Deer aren't that scarce that one needs to take that kind of low percentage shot. Good likelihood of having produced a gut shot deer condemmed to die a slow painful death.

Last edited by gunswizard; 12/02/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Poor judgement, unethical and irresponsible.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Only native Texans are qualified to take Texas Heart Shot’s.

That's because they can spot an aśśhole a mile away. I only lived there 7 years and I can spot 'em at a half mile:

Originally Posted by gunswizard
Poor judgement, unethical and irresponsible. Deer aren't that scarce that one needs to take that kind of low percentage shot. Good likelihood of having produced a gut shot deer condemmed to die a slow painful death.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Poor bullet selection for that type of shot! “A man had got to know his limitations”……or in this case, the limitations of the bullet!

Assuming the proper bullet impact location…..a good bullet would’ve exited the sternum, and be searching for another deer! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The only bullet that I’ve ever recovered was a 160 grain Nosler Partition from my 7mm RM on an 8 point whitetail that I was snow tracking that had a broken breast bone. That bullet was in the front chest after it went lengthwise through the deer. Not only that surprised me, but the buck didn’t drop at the shot either. It turned 90 degrees and needed a lung shot finisher.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Do you think that makes you a more ethical hunter?
Not really. Just less confident in hitting the right spot on a deer running directly away from me.
I’d probably aim for the neck if I did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another Texas heart shot blacktail

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice FB.

There's a pic here of the product of a 280 yard TH shot, have to scroll down a few posts:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...showflat&Number=17864996&page=25

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Rear end, front end, if it’s done right it’s lethal. The middle is where the problem lies….

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^^^^^^^

Truth

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Good chance the angle of entrance may not have been straight away or into a large part of the ham. Place most any BG bullet directly up the hole or into the spine and they will be down quickly. There also are some large arteries there.

Most likely he only hit him around the edges.
It can be a mess, but is a deadly shot placement if you come even close to center punch.

He lacked location more so than bullet.

This. If he had hit square or busted bone that deer is down.

He had enough time to count points, sinks an ass shot, then takes two hours over snow to lose it. Hell of a day.

Last edited by AKduck; 12/03/22.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What did this guy do wrong? He went hunting with a lack of understanding of the sport, the anatomy of the game, or a thorough understanding of hunting ethics.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
after reading all posts , it appears he was a rookie and rookie`s make mistakes its all part of learning we have all made mistakes . i was lucky when i started deer hunting i had a family helping me learn my young woods skills . i would now have found that deer with what i know now at 69 years of age but if i was young with little help i may have not found that deer ? > wisdom comes with age and people helping you learn those skills. better luck next time ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am curious as to how trespassing looking for game works out in Wisconsin?

I think in Montana it is a very tricky proposition?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.