Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slg888
If the dog owner is telling the truth, he's one big fairy. Shoulda grabbed a shotgun and got into the action.

Yep. I guess I would have had to go to jail if my dog was being attacked by 12 Yotes. Always a loaded 12 ga setting by my back door.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dude probably wears skinny jeans and pronounces it “kiyotees”.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t know much about sheep guard dogs in Georgia, but out here Guard dog puppies are raised with the sheep. Sometimes in the same pen as the bum lambs. They are naturally protective, but like said need to be bonded.

Guard dogs don’t herd sheep, they just go with the sheep and protect them. Sheep herders will usually have herding dogs, border collie types, the guard dogs will tolerate them, but don’t go out there with a strange dog.

Guard dogs frequently get spiked collars. A heavy leather collar with nails or screws pointed out for protection.

Just like any kind of dog they aren’t all good at what they do. Treating a guard dog like a pet is about the surest way to make him bad at his job.

I think once healed up Casper should go back to his sheep.

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/03/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sure do see a lot of Pyrenees and Pyrenees mixes in the lost and found announcements here in my area. Sounds like as a breed they seem to be prone to go wandering off often.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joken2
Sure do see a lot of Pyrenees and Pyrenees mixes in the lost and found announcements here in my area. Sounds like as a breed they seem to be prone to go wandering off often.

Same as a lot of breeds. Idiots don’t research what they are buying.

MAGA
IC B2

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never seen a sheep dog protect his/her flock, but I've seen greyhounds chase down and kill coyotes many times. They make short work of coyotes.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven’t seen pictures of the dead coyotes. I know greyhounds are fast & can catch a coyote, the star of this story doesn’t look as fast. I’d kinda think the coyotes would run after the first one or two met their fate?

I’ve let my dog chase a coyote over the years, the average Lab or German Shepard isn’t going to catch one running away. Coyotes are used to running for their lives, at least rural coyotes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
the dog seems to be more of a tool to him than a pet for sure

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't think coyotes ran in packs.

Around here they are loners or in pairs unless with young. Also, they don't stand their ground. Too smart for that.

The story doesn't smell right as was mentioned.

"an armed society is a polite society"
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Decatur GA? That’s Atlanta!

There’s no sheep there (except voter’s).

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A buddy of mine runs sheep and has had either a Pyrenees or a Marayma (spelling ?) to protect the sheep. Some of them have been coyote killers.

One, a big Pyrenees bitch was hell on coyotes, yet a friendly dog and wonderful with children. If you caught a fish she'd swallow it whole if she got a chance. I’d bring back the liver of every deer I shot for my buddy of that dog had a second’s opportunity then liver was gone in two or three bites. She was a damn good dog.

I’ve seen coyotes pack hunting many times.

Can’t comment on the veracity of the story.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My sister has a bunch of sheep, a hobby/ business on the side. Heritage breeds wool/mutton. They sure are noisy critters, that guy in the story must have understanding neighbors.

Aside from that we know Casper the dog got torn up by something. I didn’t know coyotes run in actual packs of 8+ animals. Eight dead coyotes in one night by a single dog has gotta be a world record contender.

.I can’t fault the guy for looking for a non-profit vet, stitching up that dog by a regular vet could run into the thousands, easy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
ATLANTA (WANF/Gray News) – A Georgia dog is recovering after a violent encounter with a pack of coyotes last month.

“I can’t even explain how good it is to see him right now, because I felt like there was no way he was going to live when I saw him (after the attack),” Weirville said.

Weirville is the owner of Ewe Can Do It Naturally, a landscaping business that leases out flocks of sheep to clear away brush from properties, utilizing the natural instincts of sheep to munch on that debris. Weirville is also part of the Urban Shepherds, a nonprofit organization that promotes the grazing of sheep as a sustainable solution for managing landscaping.

With his line of work, it’s not hard to see how valuable a dog like Casper is to Weirville.

According to the Atlanta Coyote Project, it’s relatively common to spot coyotes wandering around the metro-Atlanta area, but it’s rare to see so many running together.

“This is extremely unusual behavior for coyotes, and we suspect that there might be extenuating circumstances,” said Chris Mowry, a professor of biology at Berry College.

Mowry, who works with the Atlanta Coyote Project to study the behavior of coyotes in the metro, said coyotes live in small family groups.

“In this particular situation, the only thing that makes sense is if there was a large litter this year and the pups hadn’t yet dispersed,” Mowry said. “This could potentially make sense if there are lots of resources available, which sounds like it might be the case in this area of Decatur.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I didn't think coyotes ran in packs.

Around here they are loners or in pairs unless with young. Also, they don't stand their ground. Too smart for that.

The story doesn't smell right as was mentioned.

LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My sister has a bunch of sheep, a hobby/ business on the side. Heritage breeds wool/mutton. They sure are noisy critters, that guy in the story must have understanding neighbors.

Aside from that we know Casper the dog got torn up by something. I didn’t know coyotes run in actual packs of 8+ animals. Eight dead coyotes in one night by a single dog has gotta be a world record contender.

.I can’t fault the guy for looking for a non-profit vet, stitching up that dog by a regular vet could run into the thousands, easy.
Cost me two grand to have two small tumors removed from my 12 year old dog this past summer. Sure wish I knew a nonprofit vet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Pyrenees must be one badass breed.

A G&F Officer told my a story about not letting your dog chase coyotes

A lady routinely walked her Rottweiler here and would let her dog chase a coyote when he ran into one. The officer told her not to let her dog chase the coyotes, that it would end badly for the dog.

She was on a walk and let her dog do it anyway.

The coyote lured the dog back to the pack which promptly killed the dog while the owner watched.

Pets are not killers usually and are not like coyotes or other wild animals who are expert at killing for their meals

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
The Pyrenees must be one badass breed.

A G&F Officer told my a story about not letting your dog chase coyotes

A lady routinely walked her Rottweiler here and would let her dog chase a coyote when he ran into one. The officer told her not to let her dog chase the coyotes, that it would end badly for the dog.

She was on a walk and let her dog do it anyway.

The coyote lured the dog back to the pack which promptly killed the dog while the owner watched.

Pets are not killers usually and are not like coyotes or other wild animals who are expert at killing for their meals
A good dog is a match for an equal sized coyote. It's when coyotes gang up on a large dog that's the issue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by WildWest
and watched the Great Pyrenees, move the sheep. There were 4 of them . They were 2 in front scouting ,2 on the flanks and 2 in back.

I don't know where it was, that taught you how to do addition. The school that taught me said that 2+2+2=6........

Calling mathman! I found you a new student....

Anyone takes the name grammarman - they will have a full-time job.

Wouldn't be near as busy as spellingman.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by slg888
If the dog owner is telling the truth, he's one big fairy. Shoulda grabbed a shotgun and got into the action.

That’s what I was thinking. He’s kinda got that Amish or Hoot beard going on.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just think what another Pyrenees that was dedicated to the fight would have done. Even a good Catahoula, GSD, or Pit Bull would have kept the big boy from getting chewed up. I’m glad he prevailed and killed a bunch of yotes.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.