Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have been hunting various animals almost continuously since I was in my teens. Primarily in the southeast but often traveling to western states when younger. The last two decades I had the good fortune to have exclusive hunting privileges' on nearly 1K acres literally right out my front door in TN however, last year I did not hunt due to prepping, selling, and moving to my home state of FL. A family members age and physical condition prompted the selling out and moving to the hot and flat home state.

Last spring I was able to join a small hunt club 4.5 hours away, and went about setting up my camp trailer on site. I spent a good deal of time scouting/choosing stand sites, etc. Generally looking forward to this years season. I did get in several days with my bow and nearly all two weeks of muzzleloader. An approaching hurricane required my attention at home for a bit, but when I got back the woods again it just wasn't the same. I just couldn't get into it. I have become old and slow. Stacking up so much effort for so short a period of time has taken its toll on me. There are also too many competing interests, home and family that demand my attention now. Priorities and hunting is not at the list's top.

I should add that Nov the first I underwent open heart surgery at age 76 and the Doc tells me the rehab is likely to run out to the end of Jan 2023. Thus effectively ending hunting this year for me. I believe I will continue my nearby shooting range club membership as I enjoy reloading and target shooting. And, BTW, the docs are encouraging me give up red meat.

So, and I apologize for being long winded, getting all this out of my head and on paper has moved me closer to be able making a decision to continue hunting or not. I am leaning towards giving it up.

Regards,

Mike

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "red meat" the dr's are talking about is not the same as venison, but no biggie. Ain't no rules in life.... do whatever makes you happy. My dad has had multiple heart surgeries and after the last one at 67 he has pretty much hung it up. He loved packing into wilderness areas and has no desire to hunt out of a truck window so he just stopped.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Gotcha. I hunted hard for 5 days at Mammoth and didnt get anything but exhaustion. I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I fid in the past as climbing steep hills and trails was a challenge.

I’m not quitting, just going to limit my future hunts to easier hunts, like varmint hunting or quail hunting. I’m not quite ready to give it up yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike, if the passion and pleasure isn't there, take a break from it, or change your approach to it. No shame in that at all brother. You may find that after a break, the calling comes back. You may also find that flame has flickered out. At 76 years of age, do what you darn well please. Don't put pressure on yourself to forge forward because it's something you used to enjoy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do whatever makes you happy. Should be some good fishing not too far from you.

I wouldn’t ditch all my hunting gear just yet. Give it a rest for a while and see whether the urge comes back. Sounds like you’ve had a lot on your plate recently.

Last edited by gregintenn; 12/04/22.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted to the ripe old age of 75 - that's not too shabby. I hope I get 15 more years in. wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Mike, if the passion and pleasure isn't there, take a break from it, or change your approach to it. No shame in that at all brother.

I agree with this but there's only one way to find out, and that's go again next year. Maybe try a different approach, maybe not.

But don't quit until you give it another shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i just turned 69 with heart ,shoulders and back surgeries and health problems always . i live in Northern Minnesota in the country . i have my own rifle range with a heated shooting house , i also have a hunting camp at the border of Minnesota /Canada that i plan on giving the camp to the family. i understand your health problems hope things get better for you. myself i am staying up here in the cold weather less people less problems . god bless ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This thread made me think a little on the subject...

and then that reminded me of my brother in law Ron's, dad. He hunted less hard year after year after he turned 80, he slowed down moreso than he did when he had turned 70. He was just happy taking his rifle for a walk in the woods, when it wasn't too cold there in Minnesota, probably thinking about many of his younger days...

Well at 90 years old Mr Ryder, went out for his last deer hunt. They heard a shot in the direction grandpa had went walking, slow of course.
so someone went to check on him, and didn't see him. they finally found him laying on his side deceased. Between 75 to 100 yds away from where he was laying, they found a freshly shot fairly larger buck, even by northern MN standards...with an impressive rack....

seems the good Lord gave Mr Ryder, one last good walk in the woods, and he got to pass after 90 years on this planet doing what he loved to do the most with his spare time....

May I end my time having the epitaph that Mr Ryder had Dear Lord.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
As mentioned, maybe it’s a good time to do some fishing (get a small bass boat)?? Or maybe some squirrel hunting?? Not near as strenuous, or as much time/effort required. Find a place a few miles up the road, sit under some trees, listen to the birds, and the squirrels barking.

Dad turned 79, this year. I can tell he’s not nearly as excited about deer hunting as he used to be.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike, Don't give up just yet. Take your time and work on your health first and foremost. Once you're in tip top shape again life will become more balanced both mentally and physically.
Take your time hunting when and if you persue it. It's not a job, just enjoy it at your own pace.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That decision came in 2011. My friend of 40 years and hunting partner of 30 was laying in bed dying in the farmhouse where we had spent 29 years hunting the family farm together. The family made up a room for me so I could hunt. Spent the next 8 days trying to get into the hunt but just couldn’t. I spent more time thinking about the good times and less even caring about killing a deer. Saw plenty just couldn’t bring myself to shoot.
My last day there was the Sunday before Thanksgiving and him and I were talking about the hunt that evening. Told him I wasn’t seeing the critter numbers from before and I just didn’t have the will to pull the trigger. He just kinda smiled and said Dave we’ve had a good run over the last 30 years, but don’t you think we have done enough killing? I went home that night thinking the wife and I would spend the dat before Thanksgiving with him. He passed the next morning. The next time I was at the farm was for the funeral.

That was the last hunt I went on. RIP knowing I honored his last wish.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a hunting pardner…

Someone to help with the dragging. Stands. Etc.

75 yrs of knowledge is alot to pass to a younger hunter.

Years back, i hunted with a couple older guys in deer camp.

They hunted opening day. Close to the truck. With a folding chair.

Then they were content with cooking and “supervising” the skinning shed.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"So, and I apologize for being long winded, getting all this out of my head and on paper has moved me closer to be able making a decision to continue hunting or not. I am leaning towards giving it up."

Mike, no apologies necessary. I understand. I agree with what others have said about giving it a try next season. I firedd my last shot on December 27, 2019 when I shot my cow elk. I was booked to do another hunt on January 6, 2020, again for cow elk. On Jan 2, 2020 while heading to the range to do a final check on my rrifle I was involved in a bad wreck totaling my truck and spending my hunt time in hospital. Doc said no shooting. February 27, 2021 I had a heart attack, again no shooting allowed. Currently fighting cancer so can't shoot due to the location of the port for chemo. The doc could have just as easily put it on the left side as I requested but put it in on the right.

Our big difference is I want to shoot and do a couple more hunts before I croak. Oh, and I'm 84. If I have to hire a guide and ride in a truck, so be it.

I also understand the docs saying no red meat. Deer and elk meat should not be on that list as they have little or no cholesteral. My doc said the same thing about red meat and I told him otherwise regard game like deer, elk and moose.

Giving up hunting or any activity is a personal choice and I can understand and respect that decision. Just don't make it in haste.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm 76 and one thing I have noticed along the way. Quit hunting if you want, but don't quit. Change hobbies or activities but do something. You quit moving you loose.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good advice BlueDuck. Well said.

Guy from Rapid City died out on Elk Mountain this fall having shot a bighorn sheep to fill his grand slam I was told. Tipped over packing it out. We all agreed at lunch one day that we want to go like him instead of face down in our porridge at the nursing home.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry to hear of your health issues! Certainly understand slowing down with age, though fortunately not the health side …..yet!

That said, if it’s something you love, you don’t give it up…..just reorganize! You reduce the physical aspects of the hunt. Hunt in the nicer weather, ride as much as possible rather than walk, that same ride can carry your kills when/if you kill, ect. Hell…..even bring a camera to enjoy the moments later! If there is water, it’s Florida after all, bring along a fishing pole and catch a nice meal…..or just some sun while sitt’n on your butt!

I had an uncle that hunted well into his ‘80’s….very few kills, but still enjoyed his time out!

It’s not the kill……it’s the hunt. The time spent enjoying the out of doors….to what degree you enjoy it is totally in your court! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mjac, do you have someone to hunt with? I'd suggest a hot young female.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is your chance to build back better laugh. Don't give it another thought during rehab. Look at the cardiac rehab as a boost and then maybe idle back. See how you feel in February.
On the dirt bike/motocross message boards I'm on, this subject comes up quite a bit. Guys feel if they aren't competitive or get hurt easier they quit and have the same struggle. It feels like a personality change for them they don't know how to handle.
I have some friends in their early 80's that still ride very easy stuff but really like going out on multiple day rides and support the younger guys that still hammer it out.
I say good for you in whatever choice you make. If I was in a deer camp scenario with people whose company I really enjoy I would probably tag along as a helping hand, cook and take naps or easy walks just to stay in the culture. You don't have to walk away completely.
Best to you OP.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A four and a half hour drive makes it rough.

The shooting club sounds like a plan. Iguana hunting is apparently a thing in many parts of Florida. Does that count as red meat?

I enjoy fishing sometimes. That should be a relatively low impact option nearby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.